stupid friggen polaris!!!!!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do seem to run forever, but, that wiring and chain drive mechs are all screwed up. I've seen a few with trans issues, but I think that is from people not allowing them to return to idle before shifting. Idk how common it is, but I've seen a few where the auto hubs have gone bad. Lots of Polaris around here.

I actually think the chain tension set up on this thing is cool! I like how it works. Seems like a well built if not overbuilt bike. It is over complicated though. The auto hubs are odd, any idea what and how much oil to put in?

I just worked on a magnum 330 and it took 2 qts of engine oil. I think I work on more Polaris's than any other quads. Honda & Can Am seam to be the most reliable and I see them the least amount. Polaris does not seam to last very long without alot of maintenance. We are always changing axles, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, drive shafts. The 700 and 800's are lossing cranks like crazy. They are also heavy as hell, I would not buy one myself. I am going to be getting my wife a 4x4 in the spring and it will be either a Yamaha, Honda or Can Am.

Just be patient with fixing it and you will get it all back together, they are not very difficult to work on they just take time and patients. Good Luck

I just worked on a magnum 330 and it took 2 qts of engine oil. I think I work on more Polaris's than any other quads. Honda & Can Am seam to be the most reliable and I see them the least amount. Polaris does not seam to last very long without alot of maintenance. We are always changing axles, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, drive shafts. The 700 and 800's are lossing cranks like crazy. They are also heavy as hell, I would not buy one myself. I am going to be getting my wife a 4x4 in the spring and it will be either a Yamaha, Honda or Can Am.

Just be patient with fixing it and you will get it all back together, they are not very difficult to work on they just take time and patients. Good Luck

Yea, the Polaris twins have weak cranks, but other that that its oposite here, I get 3 times the Hondas then I do anything! They come factory with only 8.6:1 comp and a supper weak oiling system, I have changed20+ Honda cranks. I will never buy a Honda, I vote Yamaha or kawi all the way!

I try to stick with Yamaha or old Honda stuff. I got this Polaris for next to nothin and I figured it would be a good ride for my wife. I ordered a bunch of parts for it today so I guess ill hope it goes back together ok. Thanks for the help guys! I'll keep ya posted on the progress

Yupp. Dad and brother own polaris. PITA to work on, but stay good for a while, so it will be worth it once its all back together.

I did the starter in my 96' Scrambler 4x4 last spring. I was surprised how much of the quad I had to take apart to get at it. They can be a PITA to work on, but I've found mine to be quite reliable...

You have to take apart nearly EVERYTHING on a polaris to do the simplist of repairs. And, yeah, the steering is almost always loose, and the intake boots love to split or shrink. I could say more, but... lol

You have to take apart nearly EVERYTHING on a polaris to do the simplist of repairs. And, yeah, the steering is almost always loose, and the intake boots love to split or shrink. I could say more, but... lol

I do agree with ya Pat, I don't understand why they made them so stupid to work on? And I have read a lot about the intake problems..
But it still seems to me like you guys are giving them a bum rap, there are way crappier built machines than Polaris builds. IMO
And even though you have to take everything apart to change one thing, they actually aren't that bad to take apart. It's more time consuming than anything.

The worst part is usually putting the induction system back in. I've found them to be a very tight fit. Only bikes I'll ever own is a Jap bike. Just not impressed with polaris. I will say that they do usually run well, and make pretty good power. 500 scrambler H O will wheel stand with out a prob. And, the little old trail boss 250 air cooler is snappy as ****! I've heard about people taking the 400 scrambler top end and retroing it to the old 250r bottom end. Any trueth to that?

I've heard about people taking the 400 scrambler top end and retroing it to the old 250r bottom end. Any trueth to that?
Lmao. The old Polanda motor, I haven't heard about that in years! Yes it can be done.. But the holes need to be redrilled in the jug, and it needs some extensive port work.
When the Saber kits came out, it made swaps like that obsolete.

I dunno? I read a lot about them like 10 years ago, and it was said to make anywhere between 60-70hp.
The thing that was good about the 400 cylinder compared to the saber kits, was the 400 head didn't put as much stress on the bottom end.
And it's "way" cheaper..

I can't find any recent info, or running video of them. But there are lots of pics out there.
Polanda250.jpg

Ahhh! Why does everyone on here always put up info on such cool stuff I've never seen before??? I'm all about that weird obsolete **** and now I want to build one!!!! It's so cool! You guys are gonna get me in trouble:)

Cool. Did a google search and it said that the saber kits were making 100hp! And, that guys were welding the kx500 reed mounts to the polaris cylinder. I miss the good ole days! lol

Cool. Did a google search and it said that the saber kits were making 100hp! And, that guys were welding the kx500 reed mounts to the polaris cylinder. I miss the good ole days! lol
Well from what I found out, the polaris 400 cylinder is basically a bolt on. But guys running them say they have a tendency of blowing out the base gasket.

But there are so many options for the 250r's. The saber kit is just one of many.
You also have the 430 puma kits, and ESR power valve kits (from 310 to 430). Those kits are pricey though, and the polaris 400 cylinder make the polonda a 401.

I'd go with the esr or ct kits myself. Was more wanting to see how much truth there as to the polonda. Have only heard about it, never seen it.

Back