She's all outta WACK

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA00warrior

Reaction score
So recently fixed my starting problem (starter motor). Now it's time to get her running tip top.
Couple things I need clarification on:

1: I have a K&N air filter and yorishima exhaust, and it's backfiring and overall poppy when riding
- Does this mean I'm running to rich and need to go down a jet size?

2: With that in mind, yesterday came back from i not so very long ride and my header pipe was glowing red
- Does this mean the motor is running to lean and needs to go up a jet size?
Does the carb need other adjustment or re-jetting?
Not sure what that would mean? I just got the quad in October, changed the oil when I got it and If I'm not mistaken (not in the garage) I used Yamalube with a viscosity of around 5w40 (could be wrong). Would the viscosity being to lean affect it? PLEASE help Thanks, PAwarrior

Sounds like you are running fairly lean. Your header shouldn't be glowing red. Pull your plug and see what color it is. If your plug is a white color, you are lean. A nice tan color is ideal. You will probably have to bump both jets up a size or two.

I want to see a pic of the header glowing never seen a warrior header glow not a good sign but would be cool to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFTI warrior96 I'll look into it tonight after work and see what the plug indicates, I just changed it when I was fixing my ignition problems and the old one was black, indicating runnin rich, correct? So I'll see what the new one looks like. I'll see about getting new jets and look further into changing them out. When re-jetting is it just take old one out and put new ones in or is there other adjustments that new to be done to the carb?

I apologize if this is a repetitive topic of discussion.. But personally I feel that to each his own, every quad is alittle different in ways.

Unfortunately 97warriorrider there will be no pic haha the war-whore is guna sit until I get this figured out. If I make repairs and during my test it glows again you'll get a look at it tho! :tup:

Yes, a black plug is running rich. We really need to know what jets you have in the carb too, that could help us figure it out.

Alright sounds to me like no more guessing it's time to dig into her haha I'll take the carb off and open it up soon and let you know what jets it has currently.

This is my first experience digging this deep into mechanical problems (first quad since an ol bayou a decade back) so I apologize for my lack of simple knowledge. Will the jets indicate on them what sizes they are?

At this point I'm begining to think I should be not only re-jetting but fully cleaning and servicing the carb since I have no clue what's been done maintenance wise to the bike from the previous 2 owners but by the looks of it, they did very little.

Also she smokes like hell when I start it up with the choke out, so I'm assuming my valve seals are going bad if I'm not mistaken from some research here in the forums. Am I potentially killing my motor by riding it with this problem?!

I mean in by saying she all out of wack. Some other issues I have is my wheel and bar alignment, bars straight front wheels not and vice versa, is this problem an adjustment in the tie rods or something bigger?

I appreciate the help and the responsive answers! THANKS! Gets me even more stoked about the forums and the quad, it'll get there and so will I!

Yes, the jets will have the size stamped into them. Cleaning the carb wont hurt as long as you know what you are doing, so give that a shot if you feel confident. If the quad only smokes on start up, and then stops once it is up to operating temperature, then yes, the valve seals are going bad. It wont hurt the engine to run it like this, but make sure you keep an eye on the oil level. Running the motor low on oil will definitely hurt it. If it is smoking really bad though, I would look into replacing them in the future. The alignment issue sounds like it can just be adjusted out with the tierods. When you adjust the toe of the front tires, you want to have a slight toe in situation. If you look in the manual, it will give you the measurements. Also check for a bent tierod, that could be causing your alignment to feel off.

Alright man thanks again I'll look into this stuff and let you know what I find out, really appreciate the help!

It does stop smoking once it gets up to temp but man does it ploom at first. I know I'm not low on oil and I feel like a complete novice for asking this but I seen some controversial statements on other posts. I know the quad is suppose to have 2.5-2.6 quarts in it, but when checking your oil level
- unscrew your dipstick, wipe it.
- "dip" it in until it hits the bottom thread and pull it back out giving you a correct reading, Correct?
Do not screw it in and unscrew and check, that would give you a false reading, most likely low.
Do I have that straight?

And do you recommend the clymer service manuals over yamahas? I have a pdf manual but it cover all the models and I want to be straight on the info Im using when servicing, think it's prolly a great investment since I can have the book right there as I'm servicing the bike.

I have a clymer manual and it is very helpful, highly recommend it. Your process for checking the oil seems correct. Remember to warm up the bike a few minutes, then let the oil settle, and then check it. I honestly don't like the yamaha dipstick style oil checking, because it seems to be inaccurate from my experience. The sight glass that some bikes have seems way easier in my opinion. Also, just to point it out, if you were to screw the dipstick in, it would show an overfull reading.

I want to see a pic of the header glowing never seen a warrior header glow not a good sign but would be cool to see

If I run my warrior with the choke on the header will begin to glow.

I'm with Trent it's deff a air fuel problem jetting for sure needs to be changed sounds like your really lean to me

I pulled the plug this afternoon.
The tip was white so I believe you guys would be right. It's running lean. So now to order up some jets that way when I get the carb off in a few days they are ready to install.
Any recommendation on where to purchase jets or what brands to buy?
I guess I could look in the product reviews categories for that. I could pick them up at a local atv shop I assume as well.

Thanks for the responses men! I'll keep you posted on current jet and pilot sizes once I get her all torn down.

Your local dealer is one place to go. I got my jets off jetsrus.com, like frit said. If you do buy off this website, be certain to order the "genuine mikuni jets". The other ones on there are junk. When you buy them, I would buy several sizes for each jet. You sound like you are a good amount lean, so two sizes up for each jet may be what you need. It's kinda something you have to play with, so don't expect your first jetting change to be perfect. It's always better to have the extra jets on hand, then have to order more later.

Okay so after a week of coming down with a virus and feeling like garbage with no motivation I finally got the carb off and opened up the float bowl. What was currently installed (I'm assuming by 1 of the 2 previous owners) was a

45pilot jet and a 135 main jet (unless I can't read).

The main jet had no concave plastic washer only the small brass washer. Not sure if that would affect anything. Honestly I'm thinking about purchasing a zoom zoom carb and jetting that one and calling it fixed.

acouple months back when I first got the quad I slid out into some saplings and one broke and shoved up past the chain drive sprocket and hit the carb, the choke lever is all bent up not to mention after opening it up and seeing how dirty the condition of the inside is. I know they are mechanical and with a proper cleaning an service I'm sure would work fine, I just don't have that kind of knowledge and want to upgrade the quad not prolong another potential problem

With that being said suggestions for jet sizes?
Keeping in mind I seem to be running lean, won't start without the choke, not sure if that info helps.
If I get a zoom zoom carb, when I transfer over the throttle cable will that need specific adjustment. Could the position of my mixture screw be making the bike run lean aiding to my current problem as well?

As always look forward to hearing your feedback, thanks all!

Stock sizes: Pilot=42.5 Main=145

You are way lean on the main. With your exhaust and filter setup, I would look at a 147.5 main and 45 pilot for a starting point. (This is the setup I run, and I have a k&n filter and stock pipe). From there you may need to move up or down a size depending on temperature, altitude, etc.

Are you sure the main doesn't say 145? Either way you should bump up to a 147.5.

Yeah when I saw 135 I was confused it was such a low number compared to what I see must people are running. I'm about 95% sure it said 135, and I stared at it pretty instensly trying to figure it out and make sure I was seeing the right numbers.

This may sound like another novice question but the threading for the main jet is able to move in and out(up and down) within its housing in the carb, is that typical?

Also the mixture screw position I guess depends on location temperature and altitude, I've read somewhere 1 and 3/4 turns out from seated is a good standard position, wondering if that is far off will it make the bike run one way or another?

1 and 3/4 turns out on the mixture screw is close, but I believe stock is 2? (Don't remember and don't have the manual with me). The mixture screw only effects idle air/fuel ratio, so adjusting will only really effect the very low rpm range. Also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the main jet moving up and down, but it shouldn't move once tightened.

Back