Relay Buzzing

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giraffe02

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm knew to this forum but I'm not new to quadding at all. I just got a 1988 Yamaha Warrior 350 with a newer engine in it. ( I don't know what year the engine is, and if anyone can help me out with finding that information, it would be greatly appreciated) Anywho, when I try to start my quad, a relay under the left rear fender buzzes. The quad won't even try to turn over, the starter won't move or anything. I have to jump the solenoid in order to start it and even then it takes a long time like the battery is dead, but I know it's not This is what I have done so far.

-Wire brushed all connections
-Replaced battery connections
-Replaced wire connections to solenoid
-Replaced fuse
-Replaced battery

If anyone has any other ideas as to why this is happening to me, it would be really appreciated. I would love to have this thing start on its own.

sounds like your starter solenoid is bad, that's why you have to jump the soleniod to start it. then most issues with charging the battery, consent spark seem to be the stator. If you go to www.rmstator.com and look at the stators for the warrior they are grouped in different yrs that are conpatable. Look at the plugs on your stator and compair them to the ones on the website untill you find a match. That will gat you about as close as your going to get in finding out the year of the motor. Also ohms for testing your stator are in the manual, here is a link to it http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20507
let us know what you find out.

And welcome to the forum.

Yeah I was thinking that it was either the solenoid or a defective battery. I hope to hell that it's not the stator, cause those are expensive. I actually don't have a multimeter that test ohms sadly. I'll get my hands on one and test it to make sure but in the mean time I'll buy a solenoid and replace it. Thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated.

Oh and thanks a lot. :)

ohm meters are cheap at Harbor Freight. And I saw soleniods on ebay new from rmstator $25.00 shipped

Alright, thanks. Autozone sells a 4 post solenoid for like $10. I'll just buy that. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Alright. The new solenoid didn't help. I'm beginning to think that it is a defective battery. If not, I don't know what it is. :\

Make sure that solenoid is hooked up right, or go buy one for a warrior and try that, if you haveing to jump the solenoid to start it then thats the problem. You also might need to check your starter button it could be corroded and not making contact.

mine was doing the same thing and the ground wire was not clean or tight enough. the last relay towards the rear was buzzing and I removed the terminals and resolderd them and everthing is great now.

I used a paper clip that I had hammered flat to remove the spade connectors from the plastic housing. there is a clip on the flat side off the spade connector that need to be pushed flat to allow the connector to be slid out

Last edited:
Hey sr5bidder. Can you tell me exactly what connections you soldered and what you did in more detail because that sounds like the problem to me is that the connections isn't that great.

alright so i triple checked the solenoid and still no luck. i also checked the starter spring and connections. the spring was shot so i took it out and put one from the battery box in a flaslight in there and now it doesn't work at all haha. i think i definitely did something wrong. i'll work on it more on sunday and let you guys know.

Alright. I swapped in another new solenoid. The problem got worse, it wouldn't even click anymore. So I put the old solenoid back in and it went back to clicking again, so I'm back at square 1. The thing that has me worried is that the solenoid that's on there isn't the stock warrior solenoid. Or at least I don't think so. It's definitely something out of a lawn tractor or something. All I can think of now to do is bring it to a dealer which I really don't want to do considering the fact that it is going to end up costing me a boatload of cash. :(

i bet you have a bad starter if its got clean conections and the starter bearly rols over it needs a starter thats why it clicks mine did it when i burnt the starter out

Yeah I can roll start it and start it or I can gap the solenoid and it will start but in order to start it by gapping the solenoid, I need to also have the battery jumped. It's really bad.

It could very well be a starter but that would suck for me considering that they're pretty expensive...

i just bought the battery from advance auto parts. i could bring it back there and have them test it but I think it's fine.

so if it doesn't charge, that's another problem. I'd test the stator and trace all your wires to make sure there is no breaks in them anywhere

well i have charged the battery off of a battery charger and then tried to start it and the same thing happened. it just buzzes.

Back