Project Bear Tracker Restoration

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the damn mailman decided not to deliver my mail today cause I had my year old Husky/Lab Molly out on the leash so I never got the carb rebuild kit and new petcock pissed me off!!
but on the other hand I did get the valves adjusted and was able to get the recoil pull start off and of course it was full of mud water and rust so gat it all apart and soaking in some PB blaster
so now we wait for the mail to come tomorrow and then I will be able to rebuild carb and replace the fuel petcock

So... what did you do with the heat gun? I tried it on my fenders, but, they are white and hard as **** to see results on. I'm really needing to clean up the plastic tank I got for my 3 wheeler.

I just went over the plastics in a circular motion about 2 inches away with the heat gun with these the blue had a layer of white oxidation on top so as I heated the plastic it melted the oxidation away and turned dark blue as soon as I seen it change I moved on
as for white plastics yeah you can't tell if it's doing anything I know I tried a little on the Z and ended up just buffing them with the PlastX and it brightened them right up if you have a little 7" electric or air buffer I think that will help the PlastX stuff really work good I'm gonna pick one up from Harbor Freight tomorrow

Carb rebuild kit came and I got the carb rebuilt and she idles perfect now just need to fine tune the air/fuel screw I have it 2 turns out not sure what stock setting is
Also got the new petcock installed so no more leaks
and got all new fender clips

now need to pressure wash the damn motor and frame cause the motor looks nasty compared to the rest of the quad but have a feeling pressure washing won't be enough to get the oxidation off the aluminum

Uses a grease cutter that's paint safe and let it soak and use a scotch pad like a sponge

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Damn it looks like a completely different quad, Your parts shipped out yesterday, suppose to be there in Barron on 3/13.

And your tires will be there then too. Looks like you'll have a busy day Thursday. lol

Thanks Tim and Lloyd looking forward to some more goodies!

As for the seat cover Pat not sure the foam is chewed up in the middle and up by the tank so debating on repairing the foam and paying $45 for a new cover or just buy a complete used non ripped seat off ebay for $99 shipped?

changed the oil & filter and adjusted the air/fuel screw 1.5 turns out and it still bogs and almost dies from 1/4 to wot throttle everything is all stock so not sure why it's bogging
The needle clip is on the middle slot of the 3 slots on the needle
spark plug is black so I'm gonna move the clip up to drop the needle and see if that fixes the bog so we shall see

Last edited:
so the good I figured out the bogging issue moved the needle clip all the way down(only has 3 notches) and now it runs great no more bog

the bad
still noticed a ticking in the upper end even after adjusting valves and changing oil so today I pulled the timing chain cover and sure **** the chain was loose as a goose so I pulled the tensioner and it was all the way out and there was still enough slack in the chain that I could flip the chain over a tooth on the cam gear

new plan
gonna pull head and jug replace timing chain and if jug & piston ain't bad gonna hone it and do a re ring or if need be gonna throw .020" Wiseco top end kit in her

if anyone knows what kind of flywheel puller a 04 bear tracker uses as I can't find any on ebay and not sure what it would even look like cause there are no threads on the flywheel let me know
here is a pic of a bear tracker flywheel

Beartracker1-16.JPG

are those 3 bolts hole exsposed on your .... if so could you not just use something like a steering wheel puller

i was looking through my buddies Hanes manual the other day that showed using those three holes

Latest posts

Back