Not a Bike that pops up around here very often

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok let me try that one again. a 2smoke rarely kicks back if every thing is working like it should. when a older 2smoke kicks it's normally because the spark advance springs are getting weak and the spark advances during the kick and bam throws your ass over the handle bars

Theres a trick to it on the old Yami big bores, and it has nothing to do with timing. When the cylinder is cold, they have a tendency to load up on fuel. Hence when you to try to fire the big bitch it kicks at ya. I also know how bad it can be, cause I actually snapped the kicker shaft in half once.

With the choke open, and holding the kill switch.. Give it about 5 good kicks at WOT. It help the motor clear it's throat, and usually starts easier. I actually made a video about that.
Another thing that can cause the nasty kick backs on the big cc 2 strokes, is weak fuel. It's been my experience that they like leaded fuel over 93 octane.
I just thought you should all know that. lol

Heres the video of me starting my 490 cold. (Notice how many times I kick it before I close the choke, then it fires on the second kick)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKsGmo9oVds

Last edited:
I can remember my unlces telling me about how they would set a hot plate on a bucket or stool, and place it under the engine (not touching it, duh) and let it's heat radiate up onto the bike so cold starts were easier.

Back