Not a Bike that pops up around here very often

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nah lol Id kill myself on a 2stroke that big and I just don't have the cash sittin around at the moment so sadly its a no go for me

damn, buy it, keep the engine and part it out to make a lot of your money back.

NICE!!! That was the first 490 to break 50hp.. I want the motor out of it. :evilface:
That thing should have a skull, and cross bones on it.
Death follows these bikes around, just to be ready.. lol

#4 on Off-Road.com's worst dirtbikes ever list..

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/voice/ten-worst-dirt-bikes-of-all-time-15569.html

Interesting article to read.

One of the best motors Yamaha ever made IMO.
But because of the power to weight regulations, the 2nd gen YZ490's were heavy. Which made them clumsy to ride.
They also have a **** load of torque, and a unpredictable power band. Which makes them real loose when your hard on the throttle.

So yes there not a nice bike to ride. (My cousin has an 87', and it scares the **** out of me).
But the motors do well in other applications. :iagree:
Yamaha should have put them in quads during the big 500cc rush. (Late 80's early 90's)
It's only competition would have been the 500 Quadzilla.

One of the best motors Yamaha ever made IMO.
But because of the power to weight regulations, the 2nd gen YZ490's were heavy. Which made them clumsy to ride.
They also have a **** load of torque, and a unpredictable power band. Which makes them real loose when your hard on the throttle.

So yes there not a nice bike to ride. (My cousin has an 87', and it scares the **** out of me).
But the motors do well in other applications. :iagree:
Yamaha should have put them in quads during the big 500cc rush. (Late 80's early 90's)
It's only competition would have been the 500 Quadzilla.

Exactly, definitely not Yamaha's finest work. And as far as putting it in a quad, they already had a 350 twin 2-stroke, which was far better than the 500cc Quadracer, even if it was a hair slower in the very top-end. But the 350 twin also took better to modifying, making it very easy to be a lot faster. And the chassis of the Qracer 500 was complete garbage.

Exactly, definitely not Yamaha's finest work. And as far as putting it in a quad, they already had a 350 twin 2-stroke, which was far better than the 500cc Quadracer, even if it was a hair slower in the very top-end. But the 350 twin also took better to modifying, making it very easy to be a lot faster. And the chassis of the Qracer 500 was complete garbage.
Yah I'll give you that one. lol
The Banshee is way more popular than the LT500 ever was.

As for the 490 in a quad it never had the ground to stand on. Thats why I built my own. :iagree:
I'll always have love for the Yamaha 490. It's a cool motor, with lots of over looked potential.
Heck, all the old Yamaha big bores are awesome.. I'll keep building them till something better comes along.

Hell yeah wargirl! CR5fuckinhundred! Seen some insane 250r/cr500 conversions and DAYUMMMM!

No clue. I've never had or seen one apart. I remeber a guy that used to ride with dad in Jersey. He wasn't very tall, and had to jump on and kick start the bike at the same time it was so tall. Rode the piss outta it from what I always heard.

No clue. I've never had or seen one apart. I remeber a guy that used to ride with dad in Jersey. He wasn't very tall, and had to jump on and kick start the bike at the same time it was so tall. Rode the piss outta it from what I always heard.
sounds like if it backfired he would get launched from the bike!

Back