need some advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i checked everything and all seems to be good stator is putting out power but still no spark. the coil is grounding out for some reason. is this suppost to do this? i switched it with one i knew worked and same thing it was grounding out. only thing i can see that would cause this is the cdi box because theres an orange wire that runs from the cdi to the coil . if anyone thinks it could be something speak up please.

You want to ohm the pickup coils on the stator out. Don't worry about power output from the stator because that has nothing to do with igntion, same goes for the rectifier. That is the charging circuit.

89shee said:
i checked everything and all seems to be good stator is putting out power but still no spark. the coil is grounding out for some reason. is this suppost to do this? i switched it with one i knew worked and same thing it was grounding out. only thing i can see that would cause this is the cdi box because theres an orange wire that runs from the cdi to the coil . if anyone thinks it could be something speak up please.

The coild shouldn't ground out. I remember I took my coil off for some reason and when I connected it I somehow managed to ground the output wire.

jasonp said:
You want to ohm the pickup coils on the stator out. Don't worry about power output from the stator because that has nothing to do with igntion, same goes for the rectifier. That is the charging circuit.
ok how do i ohm the pickup coils? i see nothing in the manual and im terrible at wiring.

There is different electrical sections in the manual that will tell you how. If you never ohmed something out it is very simple. Just set the meter (DMM) to ohms and touch the two leads to what you want to ohm out. Maybe a friend can come over and show you if you don't know how or need help? I would personally recomend having someone that knows electrical look at the fourwheeler.

ok but would the pickup coil make the coil ground out or is that the cdi?

the cdi is basically controlling the coil which is an ouput from the cdi. The pickup coils are input to the cdi which is telling when to fire the plug.
I don't know how the coil is controlled.. where power is supplied to one side and ground controlled or other way around.
My guess is your seeing no output from the cdi? Which would be hard from a digtal style as there rather slow. So yes it could be the cdi but if you ohm out the pickup stator coils then and igntion coil, and on off switch and have a good spark plug/wire and everything else the manual says then you know that the cdi box is bad.

jasonp i checked everything and everything is good axcept one. the thing that threw it off was the pickup coil it came back as like 900 it was going back from 913-922 ohm's when its only supposed to be 171-209 from what the manual is saying. so i guess my pickup coil is f'd like you were saying?

89shee said:
jasonp i checked everything and everything is good axcept one. the thing that threw it off was the pickup coil it came back as like 900 it was going back from 913-922 ohm's when its only supposed to be 171-209 from what the manual is saying. so i guess my pickup coil is f'd like you were saying?

Just make sure you were measuring the pickup coils and not the charging part of the stator. I believe that is spec'd out for .8-.9 ohms. So yeah if that is the case and you are measuring the pickup then its bad. I would check ricky stator as he has pickup coils for pretty cheap.

Back