need some advice

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89shee

Reaction score
hey guys i just got a 1992 yamaha warrior from a buddy of mine. it has a white bros pipe k&n air filter and thats it. i was rippin around on it ran great. washed itand got all the wires in the back because they were covered with mud i started it up and put it away for the night next morning it wouldnt start. i have no spark whatsoever.the wire that hooks to the negative on the battery is a little frayed but all lights turn on. my dad said it could be a bad ground. what does this mean. he said that since the wire is frayed it could be it. the bike turns over but will not sputter. im new to 4 strokes so any help would be appreciated thanks guys and great forum

yea man just check all your wiring unplug look at it real good then plug it back in its gotta be simple something prolly just got wet and if your cble isa frayed thats not good specially if water got on it

im getting a new cable today so hopefully it fixes the problem i looked at every wire so far and everything looks good except for one by the reverse lever. its black and was disconnected but put it back and still nothin im stumped hope its nothing serious

It's not simply a battery cable if you're getting enough power for the motor to turn over. Most likely you just got water somewhere it didn't belong, especially if you used a pressure washer. I don't touch my quads with a pressure washer anymore, it's too harsh on all the seals, bearings, and electrical components.

I'd start by unplugging each connection on your wiring harness, blowing it out with compressed air, and putting a glob of dielectric grease (do NOT use regular grease) in each connector. More often than not, the problems like this are just from water in connectors shorting things out.

checked the fuse looks good. i guess im gonna pull all the wires and blow some air in them

Older warriors are notorius for having bad starters too or at least going bad. Your problem sounds identical to one I had and the starter needed changed and wha la!

i tried jumping it though wouldnt it start if it was that? i have no spark whatsoever

Tie it to a truck, pull it, pop the clutch, if it starts it isn't the starter.

no than its not the starter.still have no spark anyone has a harness i can buy not looking for anything crazy expensive

I have had all sorts of problems over the years with my 89 with cables fraying, breaking and coming apart. Make sure all your connections are good. It may be a bad celenoid where the pos cable runs. Make sure your plastic cap is on your plug tight and making a good connection to the plug. if its turning over like it did before then its not the starter. Its hard to tell without playin with it. Mike

no i know its not the starter my pops is gonna bring home one of those testers to see whats messing up and not putting out the power its suppost to. i just need to have this thing going for memorial day weekend because its the biggest riding event up here and afraid that if something is screwed up i wont have enough time to find one and for it to be shipped

With old wore wiring you can quite often get it to work by dousing them really good with a water displacing spray such as WD40 or similar products designed specifically for wiring. It may need to soak for a while.

Well if the engine turns over then it can't be a starter.
If the lights come on and the engine turns over then it's not a bad ground, solenoid or fuse.
I would check wiring in the back by the CDI box and make sure all the connections are good. Check the on/off switch. Check the spark plug and boot. Check and ohm out the ignition coil. Do the same for the stator.
Good luck.

Also check my thread out in the help section, I gave a link to download the warrior manual. That will give you a break down of what you need to check in order and steps. Makes it very simple. If that doesn't help you then you'll have to take it to the dealer.

Back