Need an opinion on a dirtbike

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockgrenade

Reaction score
I know its not a warrior question but you guys are all somewhat motorheads and I doubt theres no dirt bikers out there, but what do you think? Below is the ad:

I have a 1989 kx 250 that I want to sell for $600 firm or I would trade for a quad 200cc and larger must have title in your name.

I would also trade for boomstick(s)

Bike starts easy, rides good, runs strong, and is in good shape. I have a clean title in hand.

Bike has new chain, new front/rear sprockets, air filter and brake pads. Has FMF gold series pipe/ spark arrestor. Have a replacement pair of handlebars for it as well.

;;;;;;;;; Now the important part! Is the Kawasaki KX250 a good bike?

hi, i am new to the community, but i am savvy on dirtbikes, sounds like a good trade if your up to it, but ask if there is any problems what so ever, and when the last rebuild was on it, other than that, id say go for it, now if you were looking to spend a little more, id say buy yourself a 2001 or 2002 yamaha yz426f, its a really damn good reliable 4 stroke bike, and its got plenty of power, but as far as the kx250 goes, just ask him what i told you, and go from there.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trade your hardon for it man! The kx is a damn good bike but the geometry on the 89 was not that nice for me and I always had a problem with the rear brakes not sure if it was just my bike or what but no matter how many times I rebuilt it or changed the caliper it would always freeze on me even sitting for just a few days. Again its the only kx I ever had and it was fast as **** and crazy reliable never had to kick more then twice even during the winter. If you have a boom stick you wanna get rid of then do it or just buy it but keep the dog bro!

KX250's can be ferocious,also an 89 is kinda old for a 2 smoke, those things need rebuilt often it seems.

My 2 cents.... I've ridden most all makes of Mx bikes and enduros... I'd never, ever own anything but a Yamaha or KTM... YZ- Nothing else needs to be said. The best, most reliable bike out there. 125,250,426...all excellent bikes... KTM- a little different handling, feels a lot taller then Japaneses bikes, but second to none on performance... Both Mxer's and Enduros...

To me, Kx's always felt like the front end was too loose, I think cuz of the rake of the forks...always felt like front was ready to slide out, but never had it happen to me... Power ie excellent, but it's a top end screamer... Get ready to rev it and if you're not used to a 2 strokes, get ready to clutch...a lot.. a whole lot...

My 2 cents.... I've ridden most all makes of Mx bikes and enduros... I'd never, ever own anything but a Yamaha or KTM... YZ- Nothing else needs to be said. The best, most reliable bike out there. 125,250,426...all excellent bikes... KTM- a little different handling, feels a lot taller then Japaneses bikes, but second to none on performance... Both Mxer's and Enduros...

To me, Kx's always felt like the front end was too loose, I think cuz of the rake of the forks...always felt like front was ready to slide out, but never had it happen to me... Power ie excellent, but it's a top end screamer... Get ready to rev it and if you're not used to a 2 strokes, get ready to clutch...a lot.. a whole lot...

Like I said the geometry is kind of screwy on it but they are fun

just make sure parts are available for it! some of the 80's and early 90's bikes are getting hard to find parts for. and when you do you pay out the ass for em

I'm not trading anything its a cash deal. Carb is fine and he rides it often to keep from getting problems. I'm not looking to do mountain dew commercials or anything but I know I'd be bored with a 125. 250 is the right size for me. I figure hell it's 600 bucks, I'll get some fun times out of it. I won't be riding it as much as my warriors. I'm a quad guy straight up but want to expand a little.

I'm not trading anything its a cash deal. Carb is fine and he rides it often to keep from getting problems. I'm not looking to do mountain dew commercials or anything but I know I'd be bored with a 125. 250 is the right size for me. I figure hell it's 600 bucks, I'll get some fun times out of it. I won't be riding it as much as my warriors. I'm a quad guy straight up but want to expand a little.

For $600, I'd probably add it to my collection... But then again I like anything older, better built and better performing... And much easier to work on...

$600 sounds about right, pretty good deal.
They were a pretty good bike back in the day(23 hard years ago). I know alot of us ride older Warriors, but the Motocross bikes were all riden hard all the time(Thats the only way you can ride them). The Warriors are different you can ride them hard or leisurley. They do both well. Try to ride a motocross bike with out ringing its neck the whole time, it doesn't work well.
I would most likely hold out for a newer one.
After working on these older bikes I have found that there are asually reasons someone is selling them. Bearing here brakes there its just always something wanting to take your Beer and gas money.
Don't get me wrong, I love my ride but I have put alot of time and money into it to make sure its ready to ride.
The ones that may seem to be priced high may have had an easier life or not neglected.
Bottom line as always you get what you pay for, a $600 bike(40 thirty racks of Coors lite).

$600 sounds about right, pretty good deal.
They were a pretty good bike back in the day(23 hard years ago). I know alot of us ride older Warriors, but the Motocross bikes were all riden hard all the time(Thats the only way you can ride them). The Warriors are different you can ride them hard or leisurley. They do both well. Try to ride a motocross bike with out ringing its neck the whole time, it doesn't work well.
I would most likely hold out for a newer one.
After working on these older bikes I have found that there are asually reasons someone is selling them. Bearing here brakes there its just always something wanting to take your Beer and gas money.
Don't get me wrong, I love my ride but I have put alot of time and money into it to make sure its ready to ride.
The ones that may seem to be priced high may have had an easier life or not neglected.
Bottom line as always you get what you pay for, a $600 bike(40 thirty racks of Coors lite).
whew all that beer talk has me thirsty! and also a language i can understand :p

I know its not a warrior question but you guys are all somewhat motorheads and I doubt theres no dirt bikers out there, but what do you think? Below is the ad:

I have a 1989 kx 250 that I want to sell for $600 firm or I would trade for a quad 200cc and larger must have title in your name.

I would also trade for boomstick(s)

Bike starts easy, rides good, runs strong, and is in good shape. I have a clean title in hand.

Bike has new chain, new front/rear sprockets, air filter and brake pads. Has FMF gold series pipe/ spark arrestor. Have a replacement pair of handlebars for it as well.

;;;;;;;;; Now the important part! Is the Kawasaki KX250 a good bike?
I say get it... I used to have a KX125, and I loved that bike!
It's a good price if the bikes in decent shape.. The thing about buy'n a used 2 stroke though, is knowing what to look for as far as future problems?
I would do a compression test, and a leakdown before buy'n it. :iagree:

If it fails the leakdown, tell him to shove it. Low compression would need a new piston, but the bore is nickle plated and has to be done by the pro's.. It can get pricey to play with kawi motors.

I say get it... I used to have a KX125, and I loved that bike!
It's a good price if the bikes in decent shape.. The thing about buy'n a used 2 stroke though, is knowing what to look for as far as future problems?
I would do a compression test, and a leakdown before buy'n it. :iagree:

If it fails the leakdown, tell him to shove it. Low compression would need a new piston, but the bore is nickle plated and has to be done by the pro's.. It can get pricey to play with kawi motors.

most all water cooled 2 smokes are coated cylinders (alot of newerish 4strokes too) but it costs anywhere from $50 to $200 for a cylinder coating depending on what bike it's off of

Back