is it tested cdi?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok that's right then
you said when you ohm the stator it said one number then later it was a different number usually if it ohm's different everytime you test it and the numbers aren't within specs usually means the stator pickup coil and or source coil are shot but first try another ohm meter to rule out it being a bad meter first

okay. could it still be bad if it sparks when I use the pull starter? I put the wires back and tried it and its the same thing. sparks with key off but nothing when its on.

Just sounds like something is hooked up backwards or something
or the key ignition is messed up

Im not sure. its a brand new key ignition. Im thinking its the CDI. gonna call the dealership tomorrow and see if they have on for me to test out on mine. and I checked the vin and the 10th digit is H so its an 87.

But the cdi is either bad or good meaning if it were bad you wouldn't have any spark at all ever

okay. that makes since. with the clutch safety bypass, is it under the hood? I tried searching for it but I cant find it for some reason. also found out that the clutch is bad or needs to be adjusted bad. tried to pull start it in first (accidently) and with the clutch lever engaged the quad jumped forward.

okay, so is the black and black/yellow wire the parking brake wires? I followed a small light blue wire from the bottom of the case under the pull starter to the rubber grommet where the stator connectors go through and the neutral light turns off when I unplug it.

Here is the diagram that I'm using to try the safety bypass. Is it 13 & 14 wires that I'm looking for? from the clutch/parking brake lever there are two wires. a black and black with yellow stripe. the black/yellow goes to the clutch. since the circuit is open until the clutch is engaged it needs to be grounded correct? and what about 14? the parking break? just find it and unconnect it? Thanks for the help

that was the wrong wiring diagram.

since when I turn the key on the lights and starter work but I have no spark. I have spark when the key is off. not sure where to start. Yumahauler said that its not the cdi box since I can get a spark with the key off using the pull starter. could it be the rectifier/regulator? I've tried all combinations with the clutch bypass, the black and black/yellow connecter like normal, disconnected and the black/yellow plugged into the black connector. nothing. at a loss now. I did order a new multimeter. should be in sometime next week

Take the two black wires connected to the key cylinder and cut them and twist them together. If you get spark, the key cylinder is the problem.

Okay. Its a brand new key cylinder put on by the previous owner. But it wouldn't be the first time a part was bad out f the box

Crazy question but I don't need to have oil in the case to get spark do i? Not trying to run it. Just trying to fix one problem at a time

If the ignition switch was for a newer Warrior, then the wires would have to be cut and spliced together for it to work. I know because I had to do that on my 88. The pigtail is different, so you have to splice the 88 connector into the newer switch's harness. It's very possible that the previous owner wired it wrong. It may be that you have to pull up the wiring schematic for the 87 and a later model Warrior to see what wires go where for the ignition switch to get it right.

Further more, if you have spark with the key off, why haven't you tried starting it?? Spark is spark, all the ignition key and kill switch do is turn off the ignition system to shut the engine down. So, if you have spark with the key off, and a nice bright blue spark not dull orange, then get oil in that bad boy, spray a shot of ether and crank her over. If she starts then your ignition system is good but you have an issue with your ignition switch. Just the simple fact that you have spark at all confirms that most or all of the ignition system is in working order. That's not to say that there may be something or somethings that are out of range electronically. But, you should not have spark with the engine off, period.

Pat the only difference between all the years is the plugs. All wire colors are the same.

I tried to get it to start but it wouldn't. Just wanted to see if she'll turn over. Its a nice blue spark. For the carb, there's 2 barbs on the top on either side of the intake port. Are those just breather hoses? It was in several pieces when I picked it up. Carb was off and battery cable was in horrible shape. I replaced both neg and pos wires with some nice 10ga wire. There were no bolts for the stator case or pull cover. Picked up some m6 bolts and got them bolted on. Have new stator cover and clutch cover gaskets on the way. Just want to make sure I can get it to run before I sink too much money into it. I check the ignition cables when I get hoe from work. Thanks for all of the help fellas.

Okay. Looked at the ignition switch. There's a red, brown, black and black with red stripe on the wiring harness. The key switch is the same except it has a black with white stripe. The black/white goes to the black and the black go's to the black/red so I think I need to switch them

Pat the only difference between all the years is the plugs. All wire colors are the same.

There is one difference that you are not seeing. Most people that tinker with their own **** should leave it to the professionals. lol

Latest posts

Back