I just dont get it

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychoracing

Reaction score
New everything pretty much for the electrical side. not understanding how I had spark and even ran it, sounded great, then just stops and still no spark. its got compression, brand new battery, I just dont get it. I rode it up and down the street and it sounded fair, then all the sudden no spark.

Just went back and checked the pickup and the magneto, scale 180-220 I have 214 scale 270-330 I have 318. brand new coil, brand new pickup, brand new cdi, even checked the timing marks and they are dead on, I took the orange wire off the coil and checked directly and get nothing. anyone have any ideas ???

edit : even checked the main switch and the starter switch. both check good.

What kind of new cdi was it? If it wasn't oem, i'd bet that it burnt up. Most of the aftermarket ones aren't worth their weight in dirt, it's not uncommon for one to be bad right out of the box or burn within a couple of days.

I'm fairly confident that rm uses the same cheap unreliable cdi that procom and all the other companies do, and just slap their own sticker on it.

Was the old cdi definitely bad?

your warrior hates you more than mine did! i dont know what the hell to try now...

its too bad no one on here has a known good cdi for him to try?!?!

I have 3 CDI's I would ship to someone to have them test it for me. I have checked in my area and no one has a warrior. Couple more days of this and I am going back to the original plan and just sell it. its to much of a nightmare so far.

I talked to the guy at RM stator and he says that just because the magneto tests good by ohms that it doesnt mean its good, he said if the voltage isnt correct then it will not fire correctly. thats the only part on the machine that hasnt been replaced. anyone agree or have an opinion on that ? before I had no reading at all on the pickup inside the case, I replaced that and it fired right up, ran for about a day and then stopped, I burned out the starter switch on the handle bar and replaced it, it turns over fine but no spark. just wondering if the magneto went bad as well.

magneto, as in flywheel? honeslty im not sure if thats what a magneto is... but i cant imagine a piece of steel with magenents went bad...... i doubt it will work but maybe flip your pickup wires back?... your cdi is grounded good? you checked all the wires and dont see any breaks... your stator is still ohming out fine so its not like a nut you dropped in the motor flew around and smashed them out....... you checked all the other gounds? your plug wire isnt junk is it?.... if i had the right year i'd test your stuff but mine is older, as you know....

have you tried swearing at it? that SOMETIMES works... i had a friend that was trying to get a mini bike running once and it just wouldnt go... he finially got royally pissed and literly threw the sob across the grass.... walked over later and it fired right up.... i dont know how big you are but it takes a pretty big guy to throw a minbike, and an even bigger one to throw a warrior so that might not be your best bet.....

im just randomly thinking of stuff.... when you tested the orange wire out of the cdi were you using a digital multimeter? supposedly the digitals dont react fast enough to pick up the voltage, and you need the old style analog.... im not sure how much i believe this but im sure its possible

did it die when you were activly riding it? like you had to be towed home?

man im stumped, like you....

no the magneto is the thing that has all the wires and such wraped around it, it generates the power to the CDI. also called a stator I guess, everything tests good with an ohm meter, some reason either the CDI is bad as said before or the magneto is bad somewhere else. I am going to mess with it tonight, but from what I seen it only has 1 main fuse, and 1 ground other then the coil. the neural light is on, I checked for open circuits as said in the book, its just not firing, I suppose I will waste alittle more into a magneto and see what it does.

Ok this is what I dont understand. in my book it says that the pickup coil/stator assembly 0.083 ~ 0.101 Ù at 20 °C (68 °F)(Red – White/Blue) and Pickup coil resistance:
459 ~ 561 Ù at 20 °C (68 °F)(White/Red – White/Green). I have non of those colors except I do have a red and white. that is the pickup. my numbers are no where near that. but when i look it up online on manufactures specs, (RM stator and Ricky stator) they are in the 500 ohm range. I have nothing in that area at all. I am wondering if this has been the problem the whole time. I know the one CDI is bad because it wont even turn the engine over. I bet my stock CDi is still good. I guess another 150$ into it will find out....... I am still under the 500$ mark on this bike so maybe its worth it. just dont know what else could be bad.

you know as much as me when it comes to this electrical crap...

thinking back ive seen the flywheel called a magneto rotor before... nothing like making up a fancy name... thats where i got crossed up...

I just talked to RM stator again, he says the regular pickup should be in the 220 ohm area, the aftermarket setups are all 500 ohms and such. the only thing left stock on the bike is the stator. I wonder if I should flip the 150$ to find out, if not I cant see putting anymore money into it because I have replaced the whole ignition system with failure

Did you check over the wiring harness good for any damage? If you get a wire that's broken or shorting out from damaged insulation you'll have problems. If the connectors are even corroded a little bit it'll cause problems as well. Pull all the plastics off and check the condition of the wiring harness, especially where it runs along the side of the subframe.

Pop quiz time, how much voltage should the stator/magneto supply when the engine is spinning over ? if its anything more then 5 volts then problem found. Yamarider I have the fairings off, and all wiring easily exposed, I am back feeding all wiring with the cdi and component unpluged to check for constant thru the wire. I checked the ohm readings directly at the plug in to the cdi and they check good, the 3 white wires that I take it supply the charge are only giving me 5 volts when I crank the engine. I am wanting to know if this is correct or not. I hope it is incorrect and I have found the problem ! ( I HOPE)

I checked the white wires as stated in the service manual, it says spec for ohms are to be .70-.86 I have .90 so its within range +/- 20. it then says if within specs then replace regulator rectifire. does this sound right ??

I don't know exactly what the voltage coming out of the charge coils should be when cranking, it's dependent on how fast the engine turns. I know at idle they put out around 25 volts AC and when revved out higher it's 50 or more.

I don't think this could be your problem, these are just the charge coils so even without them it'll still run until the battery gives out.

Did you try switching the polarity on the pickup coil? Supposedly that makes a difference and switching them solves the problem sometimes.

That was the original problem, I switched them and it fired right up. that same day it lost spark that night and I havnt got it running since. I just dont understand it. I heard the regulator rectifire I guess that sits under the rear seat kinda usually never goes out. all the wires check good and still nothing showing me anything is bad. I dunno at this point what to try.

Back