HELP! several ?'s *updated 9-24*

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xj4m3

Reaction score
okay guys ive been having spark issues for a while now and am at a halt. It didnt spark very well ever but now it is very random and never wants to start. I put in a new rmstator and that didnt fix me like i thought it would. All i get is a backfire every now and then and no start. When i pull the plug and ground it i get no visual spark. I checked the harness and wire that goes to the coil and it had no problems. now the cdi has been in horrible shape ever since i got it and has looked like this from day one but it always worked fine. Could this be bad all of the sudden? i know it looks horrible but it was always fine before.
cdi2.jpg

cdi1.jpg

I am at a standstill and need help. any suggestions are welcome thanks!!

yea that might be your prolbum here it got broke but thats your prolbum its shorted out anc causeing it not to get fire if water hits it it will mess up and not work right at all

That's gotta be the problem, it's amazing that it didn't completely stop working the first time it got wet the way that's all torn up.

i agree it looks bad but it always was fine b4 so i guess maybe it finally bit the dust. i dunno

there is your problem......you shouldent have the crystals making bumps on the back side of it like that let alone all broken and crap, dude get a new one from rmstator, they are great people

i just ordered one from rm stator so along with that and the new stator i just put in it should cure my problem(i hope) then ill be ready to ride again. that cdi has looked horrible like that ever since i bought the warrior and it has always had a weak spark but ran fine so hopefully ill be cured. ill update when i get it on. thanks!!

should do it, just get out and ride...if my cdi ever looked that bad i would replace it before it got to that, but you should never have he crystals popping through and making bumps on the back side

it got near a fire at one time and melted some one might of had it off and set it on a furnas in the garage and it got melted i douhg it shorted out cause that had to be near some hot ass heat

it got near a fire at one time and melted some one might of had it off and set it on a furnas in the garage and it got melted i douhg it shorted out cause that had to be near some hot ass heat

You'd be suprised what a little wire with 12volts can do when grounded out. Or when 2 circuit boards touch each other.

WHAT THE **** HAPPENED TO THAT THING????!!!! That is by far the most wasted cdi I've ever seen. Get a aftermarket cdi from magicracing or such that has a more aggressive curve, that'll help out quite a bit with performance also. They aren't very expensive from that place.

acutually one showed up today from rmstator so ill try it this weekend. i dunno what happened to it, it was like that when i got it. i think it fell down and got ate up by the chain or something

Well after looking at that pic..............

I would definatly take a glance at some of the wiring instead of just slappen the cdi in and runnen it.

That thing really doesnt look so hot ...........I would be afraid it may have cause some wiring damage along the line somwhere. I would definatly give the wiring a glance just in case. Dont wanna cook it again............... Pays to be safe.............

what type of lookin do ya have in mind? i pulled the tape off from about 10" from the back to check for shorts around the frame and such and all of the wires look to be in good shape, I really think it just came loose and got beat around. Suprisingly it has ran up until now and its been almost 2 years like that. I think im gonna pick up a spark plug boot somewhere also since a while back a stick came up between the a-arms and broke a piece of the plastic on the bottom of the boot off. hopefully the cdi is the cause, guess ill find out this weekend, but im still open to suggestions

I would say it depends on how peticular ya wanna get...............
I've seen the nighbors kid smoke a harness. Couldnt tell what caused it.
I noticed most of the burn or melted spots were around the outside of the connectors where the wires go in. There were others but that seemed to be where the worst of it was,

I'm not sayen I would untape the entire harness , But I would take a look at it all while before putten it together and tryen it again. Theres not that much to it all ta check. Easier if ya pop the plastics outta the way..........

Since your haven electrical problems that are yet unsolved (hopfully it s just the cdi) .
You'll be one step ahead of the game by checken out the harness while your waiten on the new cdi if it isnt the problem.

ok guys, i put the new cdi on this morning and i now have the brightest most beautiful spark ever. but it still doesnt start................lol i have fuel and spark and plenty of battery. I dunno if its timing or what now. seems like im either a little behind tdc or if i move it up one tooth its ahead a little, never do the marks like up perfect. compression seems strong as the rings only have about 8 hrs on them so lets hear some new suggestions thanks!

MIne never lined up either. I changed out the timing chain and the result was the same.
When I took mine apart the mark was ahead. So i put it back the same.

As for the not starting, Thats a good one. If ya have fuel ,spark and compression. It should do somthing you would think.

I know ya said your getting gas, but is the plug getting wet with gas? (dont mean to make ya sound like a moron)

Is the gas Old? The cdi controls the ignition timeing,so ya should be good if the box is good.
Wiff it with a little starting fluid , see if ya can get it to do anything.
Check th ecompression if posibble.........couldnt hurt.

Back