Carb problem...

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh i would think it would last quit a while but here is step two of that problem.... that is an odd diameter and thickness... you might end up using 2 steel washers stacked to make it thick enough.... dont qoute me, because i havent been into this carb in a while, but i would guess that washer to be about 1/16th thick

Ya well thanks for the help and ill look at it later today and get back on here and tell how it works out.

Go to the hardware store and take the jet with you. Ask them if they have a copper, brass, or aluminum washer the right size, you want one that the jet just barely fits into. If they don't have them in a softer metal regular steel or stainless will work fine. I don't see corrosion as being an issue inside the carb, they make fuel tanks out of steel and they don't rust with the gas in them.

It's important that the washer is good quality, sometimes they'll be off center, uneven, rough, etc. which can cause a problem because you want it to form a seal between the jet and the stem on the carb body.

Alright ill work on it when i get home and let yall know how it works out

Well I got the washer on there put a 150 jet in it and did the acc pump spring mod and WOW this thing has NEVER ran so good! Before when it was at an idle if i would gun it really fast it would bog down and die now the reaction is perfect and it dosent bog down at all even with a bigger jet than what was in it before, im pretty sure that the acc pump spring mod helped also. And as for the spitting and sputtering it is gone i guess it was just that little washer. So thanks for the help everyone! and if you haven't done the acc pump spring mod its well worth doing!!

mmmmmm there has to be some reason why the make jets and alot of the other carb parts outta brass.... maybe the brass doesnt react with the aluminum like steel does... i dont think the softness is the reason for using brass.... we are getting a little of topid here tho... glad to yeah you found your issue

How do steel and aluminum react that would cause a problem? I'm not saying you're wrong, i just never heard of it before, good thought though.

I always just thought it was because steel will eventually build up some rust on it if moisture gets into the carb(and moisture in the carb is pretty much a given on an off road machine). On a washer it shouldn't matter but in the jets, needles, and anything else requiring tight clearances a little bit of rust could cause a lot of trouble.

Ya im pretty sure it would be possible for rust to get on parts inside the carb and if rust was to get into the carb that would for sure cause some kind of problem weather with flow or getting in jets or any other place that rust is not suppose to be.

steel and aluminum have a habit of corrosion when together. ive actually busted many a bolt that was screwed into aluminum, some only being together for a few months

yeah i tired looking for a scientific explaniation but i got frustrated and im at work so here is what i found..... http://www.finishing.com/360/71.shtml notice the threads on those bolts... thats is the corrosion you will get when bare aluminium and steel contact eachother.... a little antiseize will prevent this but not in a carb

Well i thought i would just add this in case anyone else is having the same problem but does not quiet understand. So here is a picture and that tube with the needle sticking down inside it is suppose to be flush with the wall of the carb but its not.

IMG_3593.jpg

Sorry the picture is so blurry i couldn't get our camera to take a good picture.

Back