is it tested cdi?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy

Reaction score
Hello. I recently received a 87-88 warrior 350 from a friend. It hasn't been ran in about 3 years. Got it put mostly back together. It will turn over fine but it's not getting any spark. I tested the Orange wire coming out of the box and nothing. I checked all of the grounds that I could find. Ran a new wire from the neg on the battery to the block and battery to frame as well as a new pos wire from the battery the the starter solenoid located next to the fuses. Thanks for any helpless

Test your stator and ignition coil. Bypass safety switches. (Do a search) If that fails try your Cdi on a running bike and if that bike won't run without your Cdi, you found your problem.

Okay. I'll search it and try it. I don't have another quad or one to test it on.

Mine has the parking brake. I want to delete it since it doesn't work. There are two wires coming from the handle to under the hood. A black and a black with yellow strip. What do I do with those? And I can't find the other wires for the neutral saftey switch

plug them into each other and that will by pass the parking brake safety switch

Okay. I did that. Still no spark. Used my multimeter to check the ohm on the stator but I'm not sure which wires to check. On the square connector every wire showed an open circuit. Guessing I need a new stator. Where can I find the wires to do the neutral saftey bypass?

Here is my stator. With my multimeter set to 2000 it shows 050 on the 3 wire plug

Attachments

• 20140407_151408.jpg
    20140407_151408.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 19
It's a first gen. Either a 87 or 88. Not sure

Okay. I'll have to find the instructions for my multimeter. Has 20m, 200k 2000k 200, 20 and 2 on the ohm side. Then there are 3 ports for the testers to plug into. One ground and the other pos. Them middle port says com.

And I'm still trying to find where the neutral saftey wires are to bypass them

Does the cold have much of an impact on the readings? It was 40* yesterday. First test on yellow-green was 280. Second test about an hour later was 90ohm. I don't have 2 white wires. The 3 wire connector are all white. Brown-red was 310 first test and 90 the second test. Kinda at a loss with it.

If you look on this forum there is a free service Manuel you can download. Has a troubleshoot section which details how to check your stator and all the other stuff. With pictures. It will help you immensely.

Got the stator and puller back on the quad. Got spark at the plug with the key off but when I turn the key on I lose the spark. So I'm guessing I need a new cdi

I bet when you bypassed the parking brake safety switch you plugged the black wire/yellow stripe to the black wire there should be a black/white stripe wire make sure it is plugged in if it is not plugged in right that will cause the quad to not have spark with key on it is the kill switch wire

so the black and black/white should be plugged in together?

I would have to take a look under my hood to be sure but Im almost positive won't hurt to try it I remember my boy doing the same on his 01 and as soon as I switched the wires it fired right up

Here are the wires I'm looking at. The black and black with yellow strip are coming from the clutch/parking brake and the other from the kill switch

Attachments

• 20140408_234057.jpg
    20140408_234057.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20140408_234140.jpg
    20140408_234140.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back