Raptor Starting problem

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

406elcamino

Reaction score
So today i decided to a big wash down of the machine because there is somebody interested in buying it. Well i removed all the plastics, skid plates, bumper etc... cleaned and waxed alot of the bike you dont see. Well when i went to hook up all the connections for the battery,cdi i went to start it after and all im getting is a *buzz* noise, i know i connected everything back the way it came off and i made sure the battery terminals are clean and connected, the cdi is hooked up, and there is a small wire that is like a butt connections which i connected and it still gives me a *buzz*. Well i checked the voltage on the battery as it sat and it was reading 12.5ish so i tried to start it to see what it measure and it was gradually getting worse eventually getting to a 11.6 on the multimeter so im hoping its just the battery that went a little low.

anyways anybody have any sort of ideas?

OMG dude LMAO the SAME THING JUST HAPPENED TO ME but i didnt take that **** apart heres what to do

Make sure all ur wires are clean and if it still does it charge ur batter and if it dies again just buy a new one but if u want to get a good one be ready to pay 110$+ and i aint joking.. I mean dude the same thing happened to me

My warrior did the same thing once. Check and make sure your ground is good and isn't shorted out by any water. Also see if any water could have gotten in your starter relay which is on the left side under the back fender. it's the round shaped thing. hope this helps. good luck

the warrior battery I bought was less than 50 dollars
the buzzing doesn't mean you need a new battery. try taking a jumper cable and grounding from your battery straight to your frame, then try and start it. thats what i did and it started right up.

Yea but im 100% sure its the batter i meen I JSUT went threw it... ^^^

you could be right. see where the buzzing is comming from. if it's the starter, your battery is dead. if its from the starter relay, it's not just the battery.

that buzz is coming from the starter solenoid i believe its the small block box that connects to the + terminal but also has a connection (ring connector) going to it fron the wiring harness on the frame. techincally couldn't i just jump it?

had the same problem, the noise is coming from your solenoid, a brass thing located towards the seat on the frame (atleast on the warrior) check to make sure your battery terminals are spotless (free of corosion) had the same problem with mine and cleaning them made it start right up, when they got coroded again same problem. Use a little baking soda to neutralize the corosion. A wire wheel bit in my drill worked miracles on it, or 150 girt sand paper would do just fine. Remember the solenoid is a BIG switch that is controled by your start button (too much power going through your start button would fry it instantly), and without all the power it needs, it won't flip over causing a buzz. If your starter motor was dead you would simply hear the Click of the solenoid flipping over, trust me I know from experience I have a dead starter. Make sure everything is clean, all your terminals, the battery is the big ones to check seeing thats where corosion mainly happens. If the problem persists you can check the solenoid by bypassing it complety and giving the starter direct power, with a large screw driver or something metalic on the two nuts where the power goes in and out, if it is the solenoid the starter motor should whir and start right up. DON'T buy a battery just yet, sounds like it is fine.
Hope this helps, nothings more than a pain in the ass than pop startin every time you wanna ride.

The buzzing from the solenoid means it's not getting enough power. It tries to kick over the starter, the starter drags down the power so much that the solenoid kicks off, that releases the starter and the solenoid comes back up again it does this really fast in a loop. Not that it matters...

Seeing that you just had the battery out, start by taking the battery cables off, cleaning the battery terminal and cable lugs with a wire brush, sandpaper, etc until they're nice and shiny, then put it back together. Tighten it down, but don't overtighten, because those battery terminals are extremely weak and will easily break off. It could also be any a ground connection that's corroded or loose, or one of the cables on the solenoid. If not, put the battery on a charger for a little while, maybe somehow, by chance, the battery drained while you had it off (did you possibly sit the battery on a cold concrete floor?)

the battery was in the back of my el camino which is rhino lined and cold i guess (dunno if it matters if its on concrete or rhino lining) but anyways im going to get some contact cleaner and check all connections because this is pissing me off

the warrior battery I bought was less than 50 dollars
the buzzing doesn't mean you need a new battery. try taking a jumper cable and grounding from your battery straight to your frame, then try and start it. thats what i did and it started right up.

Thats a bunch of bull ben we sat there for like and hour trying to start your warrior. And after i jumped on your nerf bar it started, idk y but it was sweet.

UPDATE: well i went out there after work and still nothing with a full charge on the battery still getting the "buzz", but i have noticed that there is a metal hold down thingy that i havent put back in that im wondering if something doesn't ground to it (not the battery hold down)

does anybody or could anybody get me a picture(s) of there warriors/raptors battery area and wiring so i can see what i fucked up

[/quote]

Thats a bunch of bull ben we sat there for like and hour trying to start your warrior. And after i jumped on your nerf bar it started, idk y but it was sweet.[/quote]

yeah i know.

and thats what i meant by the starter relay. the starter relay is the soleniod.

bump*

anyone have any pictures of under there seat, more specifcally the battery area

desperately need it

Here's the only one I have
330b07e51fa04e950fcce738b45551df.jpg

thanks for replying!. It looks like the warrior and raptor are different though because my battery terminals are routed differently

well update: turns out that i connected the - wire that is supposed to go to the battery to the solenoid. fixed all that and started up just fine

Back