Deadlasts (Neverending) Rebuild

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deadlasts Rebuild 09.......DONE!!!!!!

Please tell me you are going to do something with that cover....

What cover? The clutch cover? Yeah, I'm gunna install it now that I tapped it for the oil cooler. Hah

U have a PM deadlast.

deadlastracing said:
What cover? The clutch cover? Yeah, I'm gunna install it now that I tapped it for the oil cooler. Hah

I think he's seeing the same thing I am... the cover looks like hell with the paint all scraped and worn like that. Little details make a huge difference on a build like this. A little work would make that cover, and the quad as a whole, look cleaner and newer.

^ thanks man......and yeash didn't know we had critics like that round these parts ( ;Dheheheh) I thought about painting it black but then thought that id look even worse once the black started to scuff and chip. I think ill just clean it up the best I can once I get the engine back in the bike. Since I got my head back and gaskets today, should be this week!

Should I replace the cam chain? I bought a new DID chain but now i debating on cracking that side opn and replacing it or just but it all back together and go. that chain replacement a hard task?

Just rattle can the cover silver, even a half ass job will look better than it is now and when it rubs/chips off... still silver! Geez, i didn't think that would be hard to figure out :D

replacing the cam chain would be a good idea, since you already have the engine apart. what you have to do is pull the stator cover off (stator will come off with the cover, its bolted to the cover). then the hardest part is getting the flywheel off. its best to have a puller (dealer or a local atv shop should be able to get you one, maybe even rent), because im not really sure what other way to get it off. that flywheel has always come off very hard for me, im always afraid im going to hurt the end of the crankshaft with the puller, but thats the only way to really get it off. but once you get that off, just switch in the new chain.

side note-when you are pulling that stator cover off, i have always had a problem with a shaft coming out with the stator cover (there are i think 2 starter gears on that shaft along with 2 needle bearings and some small spacers). the problem i had was if that shaft pulled out, everthing on that shaft would fall, and i lost a spacer one time without knowing it inside the engine because i had the fourwheeler sitting on its side. so just a heads up to keep watch for that and if you have a manual to make sure all the parts that were on that shaft are still there.

Take a couple of hours and polish it.I just finished mine,looks great,should of done it long ago.

nice project build dead I just read threw the whole thing and Im picking up a few ideas myself lol and really cool graphics you're gonna print out ;P

baddawg said:
Take a couple of hours and polish it.I just finished mine,looks great,should of done it long ago.

I wouldn't go that far. It's a lot of inital work and even more upkeep for polished aluminum on a quad. It'll look like hell after a few months of riding if you don't frequently run polish over it after you wash, or if you let dirt sit on it for any time.

I know what you mean but I keep all my bikes spotless,kinda anal but looks good.
I was going to powdercoat my covers but polish is cheap and I've got lots of time.

Almost done.....rings come in on monday, so hopefully by tuesday this beast will be runnin like a champ. Only item left to purchase, PRM nerfs and billet stator cover.

P5160141.jpg

P5160140.jpg

P5160139.jpg

P5160138.jpg

P5160137.jpg

P5160135.jpg

P5160132.jpg

Got the engine in and started it up last night........started right up and sounds great. I'll post up the final pics tonight and a complete mod list.

FINSIHED!!!!!!!!

P5210146.jpg

P5210147.jpg

P5210148.jpg

P5210149.jpg

P5210150.jpg

Few questions though..........Listed to the video below, that sound right? (the audio isnt perfect but it deff. has some ticking.) That the new cam and valves? Everything is to speck, I made sure to triple check. Also, I knew it would run hot now with the mods....but what is "hot". The whole engine is very very hot to the touch even after I let it idle for about 10min and then rode it up and down the street twice.

yea mine has always ticked, but i dont know why. i have everthing adjusted right but it still ticks like no tomarrow. im always worried probably because this engine has now blew up twice but it was because of cam bearing failure. but mines does tick like that also and always has. i think its something a warrior does after you put in an aftermaket cam.

but side note, thats awesome you got it going again. how does she run? do you like the power band or are you still taking it easy and breaking it in?

If you have everything adjusted right don't worry about it. The 350 is always a ticky engine because of 2 big valves vs the 4 smaller ones on most engines this size, and putting a bigger, faster ramping cam in there is only going to make it sound worse.

Holy HELL..........this beast is a whole new bike. Its everything I want in a quad. Not the fastest but deff. not the slowest and handles like no other. Anyone on here that opts. not to do some engine work is seriously missing out! I took it easy for a while but after a bit I got on it and it really put a grin on my face. I was ridin and climbing like I was on a 450. I LOVE this thing. Need to do some very minor tweaks and I'll be set! The weekend trip was so much fun this thing. One of the valve cover seals needs replace, I almost lost my whole exhaust and the bottom a-arm popped off but luckily I was close to camp and I found the bolt but other then that everything was smooth!

very nice build dead, what kind of bore/piston did you use? The graphics look really good too and the fox shoks are ultimate lol!

Latest posts

Back