YFZ vs 700Raptor

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personnally would go for the 700R. Also in the last Dirt Wheels the Honda 450R seems to respond way better to simple modifications (cams pistons pipes and filters) then the YFZ and LTR, they show the Honda making 57 HP, close to 60 HP. If I were going for a 450 it def would be a 450R.

Based on your riding go with a 700r. I guess I am a little biased but I ved heard a lot of story of 700r's blowing away YFZ's. YFZ rock off the line but on the long haul a 700r will win. Its a personal preference I guess. I hate jetting and like EFI and liked the reverse on the trails to get out of tight situations. I also know several people that raved about their YFZ's and ended up trading them for 700r's Alot of 700r owners are former YFZ owners. Ride both and choose for yourself. 3mods and my 700r woke up and impressed me more than any other quad Ive ridden. Remebr they are both Yamahas and were made for specific purposes. The new 700r's are only an inch taller than the YFZ's. I am sure no matter which you choose you'll love it.

I personnally would go for the 700R. Also in the last Dirt Wheels the Honda 450R seems to respond way better to simple modifications (cams pistons pipes and filters) then the YFZ and LTR, they show the Honda making 57 HP, close to 60 HP. If I were going for a 450 it def would be a 450R.

It also takes a cam and a high compression piston on the 450R to beat a piped YFZ... lol Dirt wheels is full of **** when it comes to just about everything IMO. Here on the track the cammed, piped, high compression, filtered 450Rs are beating JUST PIPED YFZs by 1-2 quad lengths rofl. That is a lot of mods to JUST beat a PIPED YFZ by only 2 lengths!

JUST a piped/filtered YFZ with the YZ Timing will make around 49-51 HP... They also rev higher and build those revs quicker.

You are NOT getting near 60 HP on ANY of the 450s with out going big bore/port work/ or some other major mods - just a cam and piston wont cut it here. The YFZ already starts out with 4 MORE HP then the 450R stock to stock...

As far as races go ive raced on pavement:

1. Modded Quadzilla (pipe, filter, overbore).
2. Modded 450R (pipe & filter)
3. Modded LTR450 (pipe & cherry bomb)
4. Modded Banshees (Pipe/Filters)
5. Modded LT and TRX 250Rs (lots of mods done to them)
6. Modded Raptor 700R (exhaust/filter)
7. Modded Raptor 660s (lots of mods) <- not even a race lolol.
8. Countless others that lost so bad they arent even worth listing.

I am yet to lose a drag... The closest race was between myself and the Quadzilla (YFZ about 1.5 - 2 lengths ahead in the end). The slowest out of them all was the Banshee(s). I even lost to the Quadzilla a few times when the front end would unexpectedly shoot up on me.

Since I work in a performance quad/motorcycle shop (High Velocity Motorsports #845-567-3908) I get the chance to ride pretty much every machine that comes in the door. I have had the privlage of RACING, RIDING, and DYNOING all the top machines today with mods - it has been great working there.

*On a side note: If ANYONE needs parts (I can get anything including bulk amsoil/other oils & filters) for a great deal - PM me for pricing on anything you want.

*Exhausts <- **HUGE** SAVINGS
*A-Arms <- **HUGE** SAVINGS
*Axles
*Steering Stems and Bars
*Nitrous Kits <- **HUGE** savings
*Nerfs, Skid plates, Bumpers, Other protection
*Tires <- **HUGE** SAVINGS
*Helmets and Gear (including winter/snow apparel) <- **HUGE** SAVINGS
*Chemicals, lubes, filters
*Piston Kits & Crankshafts <- **HUGE** Savings
*MUCH MUCH MORE!!!

Based on your riding go with a 700r. I guess I am a little biased but I ved heard a lot of story of 700r's blowing away YFZ's. YFZ rock off the line but on the long haul a 700r will win. Its a personal preference I guess. I hate jetting and like EFI and liked the reverse on the trails to get out of tight situations. I also know several people that raved about their YFZ's and ended up trading them for 700r's Alot of 700r owners are former YFZ owners. Ride both and choose for yourself. 3mods and my 700r woke up and impressed me more than any other quad Ive ridden. Remebr they are both Yamahas and were made for specific purposes. The new 700r's are only an inch taller than the YFZ's. I am sure no matter which you choose you'll love it.

How much of a long haul have you found that you need? Torque/Acceleration wins drags and gets you off the line/the holeshot - not "eventually I will get there" power. How often do you get to stretch its legs even in the woods to out accelerate the YFZ? I havnt been beat by a 700R yet in acceleration or top end.

The YFZ is an interesting machine to ride - the first 1-3 gears you "quickshift" and skim through (not really revving her up high at all) and let the torque pull yu' most of the way trying to keep the front end down. Then 4th and 5th is where you let her rev out a good bit (this is where the nitrous comes in muah hahahaha). That has shown the fastest pull times on the Dyno and on the line.

I am not trying to start a cock contest between the 700R and the YFZ here - just discussing the two. Id like to hear some input as well.

Also dont let "jetting" scare you - the FCR carb (stock on YFZs) has instant throttle response when dialed in and is VERY VERY easy to jet!!! You dont even have to remove the bowl to get to the main/pilot jet!!! I can change either one in about 3 mins! The needle is also VERY easy to get to! I find the FCR carburetor MORE EASY to work on then an EDELBROCK!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Unless you are a on the gas nutty fast through the woods rider all the time kinda guy get the Raptor 700 - it is a more easy machine to ride/control under slower/faster paced riding.

The YFZ doesnt like low RPMs - she wants to scream all the time!!! She will also come up in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th with the wack of a throttle (a little tug in 4th); this can get you into trouble on the trail (or if your like me make you laugh and smile ear to ear).

I would have to agree though - if you get either one you will be VERY satisfied! Just comes down to what kind of rider you are.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death I'll give ya this much, my boy has a 02 Banshee with higher compression pistons, cool head and toomy T5s, he sez he beats the YFZ but sometimes he gets beat, and the YFZ is piped and jetted, and my boy says he blows the 700R away. And yeah I did read most of that other stuff in Dirt Wheels, they do seem to smooch Hondas ass quite a bit.

here is some real world video proof of a stock 700 vs a stock yfz with cam mod. 700 in the middle yfz on the right, pretty damn close race.
http://media.putfile.com/stok-v-stock

Those machines are not stock... lol Anyways that isnt "real" life. Some real life proof would be you and I dragging - to much room for rider error on machines close in power. I put a friend on my YFZ and he got beat by a 400EX.... real world doesnt say to much there lol. I know how to ride and ride well. I know my machine like the back of my hand and how to shift her and where she makes her power; this has accounted for many won races. If the kid in that vid drags 1st - 3rd out to long he will be behind for instance. Also the amount of paddles and all that take a huge factor in the winner. A stock on stock race is NO MODS (they obviously have mods) with equal riders on the road (no wheel spin) IMO.

Death I'll give ya this much, my boy has a 02 Banshee with higher compression pistons, cool head and toomy T5s, he sez he beats the YFZ but sometimes he gets beat, and the YFZ is piped and jetted, and my boy says he blows the 700R away. And yeah I did read most of that other stuff in Dirt Wheels, they do seem to smooch Hondas ass quite a bit.

Ive raced banshees with those mods as well as Quadzillas and have won every time (besides when id **** up and let the front end drift up). If he blows the 700R away but gets beat by the YFZ "sometimes" doesnt the YFZ "blow it away" too? The 700R and the YFZ will both nut on the shees face. The 700R is by no means a slow machine but the YFZ is faster/quicker by a decent bit with equal riders on the road.

[quote:bsd1x6qn]here is some real world video proof of a stock 700 vs a stock yfz with cam mod. 700 in the middle yfz on the right, pretty damn close race.
http://media.putfile.com/stok-v-stock

Those machines are not stock... lol Anyways that isnt "real" life. Some real life proof would be you and I dragging - to much room for rider error on machines close in power. I put a friend on my YFZ and he got beat by a 400EX.... real world doesnt say to much there lol. I know how to ride and ride well. I know my machine like the back of my hand and how to shift her and where she makes her power; this has accounted for many won races. If the kid in that vid drags 1st - 3rd out to long he will be behind for instance. Also the amount of paddles and all that take a huge factor in the winner. A stock on stock race is NO MODS (they obviously have mods) with equal riders on the road (no wheel spin) IMO.[/quote:bsd1x6qn]
Wow Death you must think you know everything. How are you gonna tell me that those quads aren't stock when they belong to my friends. Unless you consider spark arresters removed and the cam mod modded quads. The fact is my friend got off his piped and filterd YFZ and got on his wifes stock yfz because the stock 700 couldn't keep up. (thats why the yfz has pink graphics) You are right about paddles though, the yfz had hell of alot better paddles than the shitty heavy Paddle Masters on the 700.

i went out the other night with a few guys for a bs/drinks and there was a stock yfz, a piped,filtered, timing advanced yfz and a 450r. I asked them whats what and obviously the piped yfz is the quickest but the the stock YFZ has the true 449 displacement and says its a very close race. As far as the 450r goes vs the stock yfz its all the rider really

Death, you make it sound like the YFZ has no faults, and it's the best quad you can buy.

Because when you get right down to base facts it is the BEST machine you can buy, no ifs ands or buts about it.

The 700R is a trail riding bike, its not meant to race, not saying you cant do it, but its a worthless cause.

YFZ stock vs. 700R stock

YFZ wins everytime, of course it also takes someone with skill to drive a YFZ in the first place. Ive been riding for almost my whole life, my first time on a YFZ i couldnt run it even close to what it really was capable of.

[quote:qshchmbh]

Those machines are not stock... lol Anyways that isnt "real" life. Some real life proof would be you and I dragging - to much room for rider error on machines close in power. I put a friend on my YFZ and he got beat by a 400EX.... real world doesnt say to much there lol. I know how to ride and ride well. I know my machine like the back of my hand and how to shift her and where she makes her power; this has accounted for many won races. If the kid in that vid drags 1st - 3rd out to long he will be behind for instance. Also the amount of paddles and all that take a huge factor in the winner. A stock on stock race is NO MODS (they obviously have mods) with equal riders on the road (no wheel spin) IMO.
Wow Death you must think you know everything. How are you gonna tell me that those quads aren't stock when they belong to my friends. Unless you consider spark arresters removed and the cam mod modded quads. The fact is my friend got off his piped and filterd YFZ and got on his wifes stock yfz because the stock 700 couldn't keep up. (thats why the yfz has pink graphics) You are right about paddles though, the yfz had hell of alot better paddles than the shitty heavy Paddle Masters on the 700. [/quote:qshchmbh]

I am just saying in favor of them both it wasnt a "true" "stock vs. stock race". I see aftermarket tires and hear a louder exhaust tone - what am I supose to think?... ??? (not stock) Not to mention those trick pink graphics... come on now!!! ;D

You know as well as I that in the sand - paddle selection and rider as well as other things have a HUGE impact on drags...

notstock.jpg

Because when you get right down to base facts it is the BEST machine you can buy, no ifs ands or buts about it.

This thread is out of control, in fact the boards in general are out of control, clean up your acts. I hate to sound like an asshole but the board is so full of bullshit its hard to read anything of importance anymore.

Wow, where did this come from?

I was reading along, enjoying what I thought was some good debate and some excellent points about two very good machines then bam!!!

I saw no personal attacks, nothing out of control or anything that needed to be cleaned up. Bullshit is usually something that you do not agree with and in the eye of the beholder such as.

"Because when you get right down to base facts it is the BEST machine you can buy, no ifs ands or buts about it."

If the YFZ450 was all that then there would be no need for any other bike period. It all comes down to personal taste and riding conditions.

I ride with my little ones and sometimes I can break away and ride hard as hell. So for me the YFZ450 is not the best machine I can buy, it does not like to be lugged around. In this case the 700 would be perfect for me. But honestly I am extremely close to putting down a deposit on the KTM Outlaw 525. Because where I ride ground clearance is a big thing and the Outlaw is the BEST machine I can buy, for me. Plus everybody and there dog does not have one! I have been riding for an honest 24 years. Been there, done that, rode hard, looking for another 24 years if these bones will let me.

Death loves his YFZ and knows a shitload about quads. I love reading his opinions but the only way he states his opinions in depth and with lots of good info is if someone challenges him on a point or disagrees with him. If no one disagreed with anybody and everybody had the exact same opinion on here the general forum would die.

P.S. I love this site, the people on here and the information that can be obtained on it. So don't take anything personally. Let the debats continue! ;)

A guy down the road from me put some work on his banshee and we had the town cop (real cool guy has gotten me out of alot of ****) radard him on a stright strech and he was clocked at 117mph

[quote:m0qmspft]Death I'll give ya this much, my boy has a 02 Banshee with higher compression pistons, cool head and toomy T5s, he sez he beats the YFZ but sometimes he gets beat, and the YFZ is piped and jetted, and my boy says he blows the 700R away. And yeah I did read most of that other stuff in Dirt Wheels, they do seem to smooch Hondas ass quite a bit.

A guy down the road from me put some work on his banshee and we had the town cop (real cool guy has gotten me out of alot of ****) radard him on a stright strech and he was clocked at 117mph [/quote:m0qmspft]

That would have to be a TON of work... Also the STOCK gearing on a banshee only allows about 68 - 71 MPH (you would have to gear up an assload and slap on some BIG tires). It sounds like that cop cant use a radar gun or your friends pulling your chain.

I am just saying in favor of them both it wasnt a "true" "stock vs. stock race". I see aftermarket tires and hear a louder exhaust tone - what am I supose to think?... ??? (not stock) Not to mention those trick pink graphics... come on now!!! ;D

You know as well as I that in the sand - paddle selection and rider as well as other things have a HUGE impact on drags...
Sorry for coming of like an ass in my last post Death, I guess I can see why you would think they were modded. I realize you love your YFZ and are a little biased when it come to comparing them to the 700's.

Yes paddles make a huge difference in sand drags and niether of those had very good ones. I'm kinda glad I blew one of my mine on my last trip so I have a reason to get some haulers for next spring.

Back