Yamaha Warrior Upgrades

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david6789

Reaction score
So I recently bought my first Warrior (1996) and it was pretty much beat to S&%! so I am fixing it up.

My question is:

What upgrades to my warrior would you suggest to improve the ride, performance, and durability of my 1996 warrior?

:atv:

So I recently bought my first Warrior (1996) and it was pretty much beat to S&%! so I am fixing it up.

My question is:

What upgrades to my warrior would you suggest to improve the ride, performance, and durability of my 1996 warrior?

:atv:

to improve the ride i'd just get some banshee shocks all around. performance wise i would go with a good air filter, jet kit and pipe. in the durability dept you could go with all kinds of stuff like an oil cooler to keep the temp in check and keep it shifting better, brush guards, skid plates, etc.

there are lots of little nifty tricks just gotta read and search. some are free some are cheap and some are expensive. just depends on the route you wanna take with it.

as far as ride im going to assume that you trail ride and say unless you find a good deal on some aftermarkets(as they can be quite expensive) get some banshee shocks for the front and a bashee rear or an 01 raptor 660 rear. as far as performance get some type of slip on muffler or a whole system, K&N filter and re-jet as needed. you can go for more but thats basic performance ugrades. Durability wise a warrior is relatively reliable as long as you do the basic maintenance.

now since you siad it was beat to ****. post up some pics and we can help you from there to get it looking good.

When I went to look at the warrior to buy it; it was:

-Missing Positive and Negative battery wires
-No battery
-carb was super dirty, looks like 14 years of crap in there
-Missing Air filter
-oil was super thick and black
-no CDI
-It appears a small fire (electrical destroyed a small area of the wiring harness (near CDI).
-Main jet was stuck in the Carb, I managed to get it out with Vicegrips but had to order a rebuild kit.
-old nasty spark plugs

I've replaced/fixed everything except the CDI, one is on the way.

But I figure since I am doing alot of work on this beast maybe I can do some upgrades as well.

I am really interested in the Oil Cooler, If I go the big bear version is there a shifter that I can just buy and bolt on to give the oil cooler wires clearance?

Although the Warrior looks decent in the pics, it is far from ...

Last edited:
you have to modify a shifter for the Big Bear cooler. if you tap the clutch cover all you have to get is a yz250 shifter and you'll have no problems.

you don't but using a direct shifter is a good upgrade, it's cheap and will give you better shifts. The linkage on the factory warroir shifter wears out and makes shifting sloppy

So regardless of if I do the oil cooler mod I should upgrade the shifter?

If this a hard process?

Is there a tutorial?

If I decide to do the big bear oil cooler set up is there a shifter that will bolt on and clear it?

Or is a bend required regarless of shifters?

for the big bear setup you will need to cut and weld a banshee shifter, there's a tread on it in hear somewhere

if you do the big bear one you have to bend a shifter to go around it. a direct shifter is definitely a great upgrade. i ended up doing mine because the linkage stud snapped.

im sorry that i wasn't clear in my post. i guess when read about the shifter i was just throwing that out there. you don't have to get a new shifter unless you do the BB cooler setup. the direct shifter is just an upgrade and makes it easier to shift.

Back