Woodruff key probleme

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mittenz

Reaction score
Hi my woodruff key is blowed under my genertor/ starter clutch.

The crank is sloted (where the woodruff key goes).

What should I do ? A new crankshaft is too expencive for me.

Someone have a good idea ?

Btw sorry for my crapy english :), im not from usa and im french ::)

go to a hardware store and you can buy blank woodruff key stock... custom cut a new one with a dremal to fit :)

nice idea ! and bigger mean tougher ! :D any one have other segestion?

My firt idea was to weld it on the crank but it's a redneck idea LOL

yeah dont weld on the cramk... bad idea.

i've cut ALOT of custom woodruff keys and never had one fail.
thats about your best bet

the key that keeps the crank from slipping inside the flywheel... also used on the other side of the crank for the lil gear and othere areas like the counter balancer gears on my DR

warriorgirl09 said:
go to a hardware store and you can buy black woodruff key stock... custom cut a new one with a dremal to fit :)

I'm not questioning your judgment, but how can you accurately cut a new keyway slot with the dremel tool?

I would think the best fix (a lot of work) would be to remove the crank, then either tig or mig the keyway slot shut, then mill it back out to stock specs.

offroadrider12 said:
warriorgirl09 said:
go to a hardware store and you can buy black woodruff key stock... custom cut a new one with a dremal to fit :)

I'm not questioning your judgment, but how can you accurately cut a new keyway slot with the dremel tool?

I would think the best fix (a lot of work) would be to remove the crank, then either tig or mig the keyway slot shut, then mill it back out to stock specs.

i'm 22 years old and yes i'm a girl but damn i've been doing this **** since i was old enough to walk. i grew up around motors.

weld on the crank and warp the shaft.

have you got whats left of the old key?

if so you use the bottom side of it to mark the new key with. if not use alittle pam cooking spray or so kind of light weight oil and put alittle in the key slot and then use modeling clay to pack in it to get the correct shape of the hole... then use that to mark the new key and the top part the flywheel slides over you can just cut to match the flywheel slot. and presto a new perfect fit key. i know sounds hard omg think you can do it?

just cause i'm a girl doesn't mean i dont know my **** about fixing stuff

i dont mean to be a bitch... it just pisses me off cause i know your questioning what i said because i am a girl

Tyler said:
If you weld it there is no undoing it.

and on to of that unless you take it to a machine shop and have it "hard welded" the hole will just get wore back out in about 4 rides.

if you hold a welder on it to long it will warp under the heat and never be true again
and with the hard welding it would take to do what he's talking about it would most likely warp it

warriorgirl09 said:
if you hold a welder on it to long it will warp under the heat and never be true again
and with the hard welding it would take to do what he's talking about it would most likely warp it

WOW, hahahah, you totally took my "shaft" talk as a serious comment, ahhahahah. Nothing sexual related to shaft talk, here :p

but on a serious note, yeah, you can totally heat warp the shaft. Had it happen to a go-cart engine I had once.

warriorgirl09 said:
offroadrider12 said:

i'm 22 years old and yes i'm a girl but damn i've been doing this **** since i was old enough to walk. i grew up around motors.

if so you use the bottom side of it to mark the new key with. if not use alittle pam cooking spray or so kind of light weight oil and put alittle in the key slot and then use modeling clay to pack in it to get the correct shape of the hole... then use that to mark the new key and the top part the flywheel slides over you can just cut to match the flywheel slot. and presto a new perfect fit key. i know sounds hard omg think you can do it?

i dont mean to be a bitch... it just pisses me off cause i know your questioning what i said because i am a girl

Just want to clarify that i wasn't questioning you because youre a girl. I know I'm new here but that isn't what I meant. Sorry if you perceived me as being a douche, but that wasn't my intention.

BTW if you go to an experienced welder and have them use a TIG or a MIG they shouldn't warp the shaft if they are able to do it quickly.

offroadrider12 said:
[quote author=warriorgirl09 board=quadrelated thread=10443 post=106684 time=1266210184]

BTW if you go to an experienced welder and have them use a TIG or a MIG they shouldn't warp the shaft if they are able to do it quickly.

Yes I think your right on it, but I think the mutch cheaper is the custum woodruff key.

mittenz said:
offroadrider12 said:
[quote author=warriorgirl09 board=quadrelated thread=10443 post=106684 time=1266210184]

Yes I think your right on it, but I think the mutch cheaper is the custum woodruff key.

A custom key is much cheaper and would most likely work just fine.

I'm paranoid when it comes to my bikes so I usually go above and beyond when it comes to fixing it...that's just my way.

Everybody's got their own opinion.

offroadrider12 said:
warriorgirl09 said:

Just want to clarify that i wasn't questioning you because youre a girl. I know I'm new here but that isn't what I meant. Sorry if you perceived me as being a douche, but that wasn't my intention.

it's all good. i prolly took it alil over that top... just that happens ALOT!and it gets rather annoying.

and no it'd still probably warp it. the shaft has to be perfectly straight or it throws everything off balance and beats the crank bearings out and busts the coils off a stator.
i'd trust my own handmade key before i would a welded and remilled crank.

and belive me i know about welding :) i can weld up, down, left, right alum, steel, galvanized steel (that pakes you feel good in the head) stainless, big, small. you name it i can weld it. i've been welding since a was alittle girl. my dad taught me how and he's welded for YEARS i know he was welding on the trucks at the marble mines when he was 20 and he's 45 now. hell i can weld prettier then him now (i think it's cause i'm a girl :p )
i'm the one that welded a hole in the top of a piston where a valve broke and stuck in it... took me all of 1 1/2 days to do it haha.

deadlastracing said:
warriorgirl09 said:

WOW, hahahah, you totally took my "shaft" talk as a serious comment, ahhahahah. Nothing sexual related to shaft talk, here :p

but on a serious note, yeah, you can totally heat warp the shaft. Had it happen to a go-cart engine I had once.

no dude... i was tryin to ignore the perverted statements there but since you've went on with it...
yes i could warp your "shaft" i like it ROUGH and bruises left in the happy tunnel

warriorgirl09 said:
offroadrider12 said:

it's all good. i prolly took it alil over that top... just that happens ALOT!and it gets rather annoying.

and no it'd still probably warp it. the shaft has to be perfectly straight or it throws everything off balance and beats the crank bearings out and busts the coils off a stator.
i'd trust my own handmade key before i would a welded and remilled crank.

and belive me i know about welding :) i can weld up, down, left, right alum, steel, galvanized steel (that pakes you feel good in the head) stainless, big, small. you name it i can weld it. i've been welding since a was alittle girl. my dad taught me how and he's welded for YEARS i know he was welding on the trucks at the marble mines when he was 20 and he's 45 now. hell i can weld prettier then him now (i think it's cause i'm a girl :p )
i'm the one that welded a hole in the top of a piston where a valve broke and stuck in it... took me all of 1 1/2 days to do it haha.

that's pretty cool. I wish I could find a girl around here that rides, knows engines, and can weld.

Back