Won't start....update June 3

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rex

Reaction score
Went for a run a few nights ago.

I got about a mile when it just shut off...

Had to tow it back to the trailer and home.

Checked the regular stuff...no go...

Last year I busted my cam chain so I decided to check it again....

This is what I found.

camgearfrombikemay18200go3.jpg

The small pin that's supposed to be in the gear was broke into pieces and fell down.

I have no idea what those three little metal bits are???? They aren't the pin...or from the cam gear???

I'm assuming I'll have to remove the top end of the engine to fish out the pin....

The end of the cam shaft is a bit mangled too...will I have to replace it? I'll get a pic of that tomorrow.

Any advice???

Ok....

I kept looking and this is what I found....

camshaftandcarnagemay22ke8.jpg

I removed the camshaft and all those metal bits and the nut were almost directly behind it. You'll also notice then end of the camshaft is completely mangled.

And that's the good news....

With the camshaft out I can see in and now I see where all those metal/aluminum bits are coming from...

camshaftandcarnagemay22gj4.jpg

So...I'm assuming I need a new top end cylinder??? With camshaft, gear, etc.???

8 (

mabey it depends you need a new cam and mabey a bearing but whats the nut from but the head should be fine and if you are gonna scrap it im mabey interested in it

Ok...the only thing I'm not sure of now is where the nut came from???

It's in the pic above.

I was looking for the nuts under the valve covers but they're still intact.

Are there any other possible things it could be???

Or is it the real reason for my breakdown??? Did the shop I brought it to last year leave it inside the engine?

Anyone????

is the nut the same size as your valve adjust lock? Maybe somebody did a double nut and one came loose or it was floating around in there a while. All the same, heads effed up -time to move on.

As long as everything in that head still functions theres no reason why you cant use it again. As long as everything gets oil and all the pieces are still held firmly then you should have any problems.... i have a nice big chunk just like that taken out of mine.... 3 years strong buddy no problems.

These 2 spots look like they are holding BIG Cracks in the head. I'd take a closer look at those spots specifically before trying to detemerine if you can reuse the same head. It seems like they would weigh rediculously heavy on my decision.
problems.jpg

~Bill

Ok...

I got my parts...thanks WarriorCliff77!!!

Yesterday I put in my new cam and cam sprocket.

Starts first tap of the button....but.....

I took it for a small run and it's running good, idles great...but it's like it's skipping????

I readjusted the chain...still the same thing.

Is it possible that my cam chain adjuster isn't working properly??? in the manual when it describes how to install it, it says to hold the little part in and then push in the rod fully until it clicks....mine didn't seem to click???

Everything went really smoothly...but I know there is still something not quite right.

Anyone???

did you time the cam to the flywheel and mark on the top of the head?
Are you hearing an exhaust leak or head gasket?
The tensioner is pretty simple... Just like you said, hold the tab down and then push the adjuster in until it bottoms. Make sure when installing it you have the spring out until you have everything together and then reinstall it making sure that the marks still line up... you might want to turn the engine over a couple of times just to make sure.. also did you adjust your valves?

Ok...I checked everything again and I'm pretty sure that what's going wrong is that the chain is slapping...not keeping in contact.

I've adjusted my chain and tried all the usual stuff.

I noticed that there is quite a bit of slack in the front sprocket....is that normal?

I popped off my front sprocket and quickly realized that almost all the teeth on it are cracked off. I'll be ordering a new sprocket tomorrow...and possibly a chain.

Back