Wolverine-- good quad or not?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason she wanted the fully auto is so she didn't have to worry about trying to shift, ride and steer all at once. Being able to just brake and gas made riding much simplier for her. She became more comfortable riding and not so worried about what gear, foot postion and clutch while trying to stay out of bad situations.

In her case it made more sense to be comfortable than to shift.

Rusty

They should offer it both ways. Sometimes it may shift when you don't want it too! Like nearly at the top of a jump, it shifts......uh-oh! My wife doesn't want one thats automatic. I'd rather it not have a clutch for her though.

Kreed, did you ever ride an automatic quad, or know how they work? They don't shift like a car (except for a couple hondas), they work with a belt on 2 pulleys that can change size, it's the same idea as changing sprocket sizes for gearing, except the pulleys can close up or spread out to change the ratios smoothly, so it won't suddenly drop down and pull a wheelie on you, everything is very smooth and gradual.

Im not sure how the CVT is set up on the quads but on snowmobiles they are awesome. You can redline at any speed immediately and since there are no set gears you are never in the wrong gear. When I do lake runs my rpms stay the same (8500) all the way from 0 to 100mph. I saw a guy at the dragstrip with an Arctic Cat asphalt drag sled and he was running back to back 9.4 ETs. Hed launch at like 9000 rpms and the revs stayed there all the way to the finish line. I havent tried the wolverine cvt but it cant be that bad.

It is smooth from 0-54 mph. No shifts. It works as stated with the two pulley system. It is sometimes nice to go from shifting to smooth no shifting.

My opinion anyway.
Rusty

Kreed, did you ever ride an automatic quad, or know how they work? They don't shift like a car (except for a couple hondas), they work with a belt on 2 pulleys that can change size, it's the same idea as changing sprocket sizes for gearing, except the pulleys can close up or spread out to change the ratios smoothly, so it won't suddenly drop down and pull a wheelie on you, everything is very smooth and gradual.

No I haven't. I was going by what several other people have told me. I'll keep my mind open now though. Ya'll are the first ones I've heard that liked them...lol. Now you've got me anxious to try one!

yeah i rode with rust and his wife and shes awesome. LOVES THE MUD!!! she just needs a winch on it now to pull people out. maybe skids too if we are going to chadwick someday. it looks like a great utility quad. i think rusty said the top speed on it was something like 55mph, so its not too bad. arent most utility quads auto anyway?

Back