why wont it start???

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsadork

Reaction score
i got on it today and tried to start it up but it was being stubborn. its gettin fuel and air and i know cuz i can smell it. i dont know if its gettin spark or not but i cant take the spark plug out to see its condition cuz i don thave a socket that fits it. i choked it and when that didnt work i just left it alone. it worked fine yesterday. o ya; it backfired once when i was tryin to start it (i guess that would mean its getting spark? :-/) lemme kno what u guys think

It would still start if the intake boot has a crack in it. It would just run like ****. I know because it has happen to me.

its getting gas and air because when i was finally able to get the spark plug out, it was drenched in gasoline. so this is what i think it is: there is no spark. i cleaned the contacts on the plug, put it back and still no fire. I think it needs a new plug and/or cable or cdi box. what do u think it is and how much do u think it will cost me. also, if i get a new CDI what shud i get???

Start with the cheap stuff first. I think a new CDI is a little premature yet.

Definatly put in a new plug first. Cleaning a bad plug just gives you a clean bad plug. If you still do not think you have spark put a nail in the spark plug boot making contact with the metal pickup inside and hold it about 1/8" from a good ground on the bike hit the starter and see if you get a spark jump.

Just a few ideas to start out without spending $125 on a possible uneeded CDI.

P.S. -- Forgot to mention, do not hold the boot with your hand when checking for spark, hold it with pliers or something with good rubber handles. Several 1000 volts hurts like hell, but you will know for sure if you have spark or not. ;)

thx alot for the advice....i let u kno how it goes. im going today to a powersports store to see if i can get a new spark plug...shud i get a stock one or one maybe a little hotter? i dont have any engine mods or anything like tht but i am just curious

ok..i got the new spark plug but it still wont start! :mad: it makes this really loud rapid clicking now when i hit the starter. i hhoked it up to the battery charger and used that to see if i could "jump" it off but to no avail. what shud i do next.

PS it has spark because i checked it with a nail like palerider said but there was no jump i dont think...i just saw this blue ball

Blue ball is good, that was your spark. The loud clicking you heard was because I think you drained your battery and now it needs charging. Check the water in the battery, give it a good charge and check your ground terminals and make sure they are clean. Baking soda water for this works great.

Since it has spark, your next option is fuel. Did you ride in water or does your quad stay outside? Did you fill it with gas with from a gas can? If you can I would try to spray a shot of starter fluid in it to see if you can get the engine to start, belch or backfire at all. If it does I would drain the gas and try some fresh fuel. I have a generator that is real picky on fuel and a lot of times if it starts to mess up I will drain the gas and put a fresh batch in it and then it runs great again.

If this does not help yet there is still lots more we can try.

ok.. i tried the starter fluid, i charged the battery, but still nothing. i will try draining the gas.

i have drained the gas and replaced with new, put starter fluid in the intake, but still zero reaction. not even a burp or backfire. :mad:this is really starting to piss me off

hey the bike could be carbonded up take the plug out and heat it up with a torch and relly quickely put it in and try... it could most likely be carbon in the motor and the valves have crap on the seat causing them not to seat probperely.

[quote:r4tujjk2]He said he is getting a spark. So why would it be the starter.
a stator and starter are to different things, my dads warrior had a problem almost exactly to what he has described, and it was the stator.[/quote:r4tujjk2]

Guess being an "ATV Tech" means you don't have to read?

ill test the stator first and if that checks out...i dont know what ill do ???

like pale said, check the levels in your battery. if they are low, top them up to the upper levels with DISTILLED water. DONT use regular tap water. also, like pale said, start simple. if you have one or have access to a volt meter, check your battery to see what kind of voltage it has. if its the battery you can jump it from a car battery (ive done it before). check all your wires, fuses, and connections. if those are all good and you have the clymer manual, go through the process of testing the stator described in there. just keep going down the line trying to rule things out. also, not trying to be a smartass or anything, but the run switch and key switches are turned on, right? (just checking b/c it can happen to the best of us!)

Lets back track one step. Starter fluid should make it at least belch if you have any spark or a correctly timed spark.

Since you now have a new plug you know it is good. So pull the plug and put the boot back on it. Hold the plug so that the base is making good ground someplace on the bike. Hit the starter and make sure you have a consistent (time between sparks the same) blue spark in the electrode of the spark plug. If it seems to just give a spark just once in a while then it is an electrical problem.

Did you try the old fashion compression check with your thumb over the plug hole while hitting the starter. This will tell you if you have a stuck valve that is open.

How was it running the last time you had it running and how long did it sit before trying to start it again?

Is it possible you broke a timing chain or it slipped? Did it make any strange noise the first time you went to start it when it first would not start?

im gonna check for the spark..the battery level us up, and its at full charge (i know cuz i just charged it yesteraday). i did the finger over the hole thing and there is compresion. its been runnning ok but not great before it stopped. it would act up and cut out at about 3/4 throttle and up. it did this in every gear. before this happened, it sat over night (like it does all the time). it ran fine one day (except for the rpm cuting out) and then the next day i went to start it up and it just wouldnt.

Back