Which full chassis skid?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texsc

Reaction score
Looking over at www.rockymountainatv.com to get a full chassis skid... Trying not to spend a big load of money, but would def like the best bang for the buck to protect my machine! ;D

I think I read here somewhere the UM wasn't recommended, so which is the better between the Armadillo and the Ricochet?
Or other websites/brands?
Which ones have recessed boltholes? (I tend to drive over stumps/high center/etc)

update: Just found this one on e-bay, what do y'all think?
http://tinyurl.com/3c9nkk

I learned my lesson about buying no-name stuff on ebay just because it's a couple bucks cheaper than brand name products. I wouldn't buy that j&j whatever stuff.

As far as armadillo and ricochet, I don't think I ever heard anything bad about either one, but I don't put anything other than PRM skids on my quad anymore after experience with other companies. Aside from the strength and fitment of the skid, the mounting hardware is what i've always had trouble with. Most companies simply give you some bolts and washers of different sizes and let you figure it out. The problem with this is that even when you tighten them down so far that the skid plate gets bent and distorted, they still find a way to rattle loose again. The mounting hardware PRM uses is very well thought out and you'd be hard pressed to find a way to rattle it loose or break it off.

I got the DG skidplate and I think I would buy it again if I had the chance. I found the hardware to be pretty good on how it mounts up, looks thick and beefy. Rattles every once in a while.

Been really happy with Pro-Armor skid plates, but I've heard nothing but good things about PRM skids. Just my $.02.

PRM skids on my bike and I recommend them all the way. haven't heard anything bad about armadillo. My bro is running them on his bike.

I highly recomend armadillo. I got a full skid set off ebay had no idea how good they were. They are amazing. There thick and strong. Have recessed holes and the way the botled the top two bolts to the frame is a great idea, havnt seen anything like them. They really work well, and easy to take off to clean. They also cover the sides of your frame too. If i find a pic of them on my bike ill send it your way.

I highly recomend armadillo. I got a full skid set off ebay had no idea how good they were. They are amazing. There thick and strong. Have recessed holes and the way the botled the top two bolts to the frame is a great idea, havnt seen anything like them. They really work well, and easy to take off to clean. They also cover the sides of your frame too. If i find a pic of them on my bike ill send it your way.

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear you like them! I think the PRM is .190" thick, but the Armadillo is only .160"... That's fairly close considering most other I've looked at were .125" thick so the Armadillo is good in that area.

My main concern if the bolts were recessed, so that makes me alot more comfortable since you say they are! I decided on getting Armadillo vs the PRM because the $20 price difference I can use towards getting the PRM Summit bumper! :cool: I like the way it covers 22" from wheel to wheel, and up high. It also has reinforcement bars going to the top & sides and the skid towards the frame! It's costy, though, $110... :-/

I don't see how a plastic skid plate could offer near the same protection of an alumium one. It can keep the frame from getting scraped, and may deflect rocks from getting jammed up into the engine case, but I would think a hard impact from a rock would still push into the frame. First thing that happened when I got my raptor was the plastic stock one came off and got frisbee'd, and replaced with a prm .160. Same thing with the plastic swingarm skid, that was even more of a joke. What the hell good is a plastic swingarm skid???

dude i have the summit bumper too....nice choice on that too. You will love it, if you want to make a new trail just start running **** over with that thing. Ive never had a problem with prm products. There very strong. Except a hit a big rock doing like 30 and dented my bumper. where it goes down as a skid plate.

i thought the same thing, however, i ride in very rocky terrain, I have been riding in at Chadwick which is a very rocky place and never had a problem, I run the PRM rear swing guard and love it also

dude i have the summit bumper too....nice choice on that too. You will love it, if you want to make a new trail just start running **** over with that thing. Ive never had a problem with prm products. There very strong. Except a hit a big rock doing like 30 and dented my bumper. where it goes down as a skid plate.

yeah, in my area there's alot of trails "pre-made", but I like to make my own ::)....that's why i loved the PRM b/c it's reinforced! WOW, 30 and just a dent, that's awesome! :eek:

yeah i thought nothing happend at first till i looked at the next day. I was kinda mad that it acutaly had a dent even thougth i was going that fast.

I like the AC racing stuff and find them to be very durable. I get pushed and pulled around by both and there is yet a dent in them. Also been hit very hard both front and back. Friend also rolled the fourwheeler end over end on the bumpers and still are straight yet the rims are bent.
I think the DG baja frame skid is .190"

Hey im parting out my warrior. Im selling the bumper with a steering stabilizer together because the stabilizer if made custom fit to the bumper. If you interested im only selling the 2 together for $100. PM me if interesed.

Back