Wheel bearings

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyler

Reaction score
Well i am in need of some new wheel bearings so question is should i go with all balls or pivot works? And are they hard to replace?

Tyler said:
Well i am in need of some new wheel bearings so question is should i go with all balls or pivot works? And are they hard to replace?

I got my rear axle bearings from a bearing house I spent more to get some SKF. They aren't that hard to replace if you've got a press and have installed bearings before. If you don't have a press it'd be pretty hard to do.

Either one of those brands would probably be fine. Whenever I get new sealed bearings I get a really tiny dentist pick and carefully pop out the seal and check to see how much grease is in the new bearings. Some of the cheaper bearings lack grease so I'll pack a little more in there then pop the seal back in there. It's been working good for me so far.

Are you talking about the front wheel bearings? I went with all balls they just seem a little nicer made then the pivot works to me. I havnt got a chance to install mine yet though.

They're not hard to replace, no press needed. I've always been able to remove the old bearings with a steel rod and a hammer, just bracing the hub over a block of wood and knocking them out from the opposite side. Then when it's time to install the new ones, this may sound strange because we're not dealing with hamburgers here, but put them in the freezer for a while, and heat the hubs up first. The cold bearings will contract slightly, and the heated hubs will expand slightly, just enough so that they will slide right in with very little effort, then just let them warm/cool back to room temperature and you're good to go.

Yeah the job is pretty easy I knocked mine out with a socket just bigger then the inner race of the small bearing with an extension. Then took out the spacer and knocked out the big bearing with a socket that barely fit inside the hub. I put my bearings in the freezer also and heated the hubs before. Good time to paint or powder coat the hubs also with the bearings out.

My hubs are already painted and I'm afraid that a torch will mess the paint up, so do you think I could get by with just freezing the bearings and not heating the hubs?

yes...you'll be fine , i changed mt rear carrier bearings(yes im aware your changing the fronts but bearings are bearings) with only puttting the new ones in the frezzer..the hardest part was gettin the old ones out while they were cold , but the old ones were ran too long and were all but locked up ....youll be fine , i use to change bearing all the time on my 3 wheelers without heating or frezzing anything
just use a good soild punch and take your time ...you get in a hurry your gonna damage your bearings...use some grease as well to lube up your new ones, makes it ezer to instal as well

Back