What would you pay for a used 88 engine?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikewarrior350

Reaction score
so as the title says what would you pay for a used 88 engine. the guy claims that the only thing wrong is the cam gear drive pin sheared off. he wants $200 for the motor. im planning on using the bottom end and swapping the cylinder, head, and flywheel and stator over from my 98 to solve my shifting problems for the time being. so what would you pay for this sight unseen?

anyone else? the guys supposed to get back to me later this afternoon but im definately thinking $200 is a bit steep for that old of a motor.

i would be very leary of something that "ONLY" has the cam gear sheared off... alot of times that means the valves and the piston became good friends, too good of friends!

Last edited:
i would be very leary of something that "ONLY" has the cam gear sheared off... alot of times that means the valves and the piston because good friends, to good of friends!

agreed mine did this wen the crank decided it didnt like tge flywheel and let loose

so the guy called me back and according to what he said the valve adjuster nut came loose and jammed between the cam and the head which sheared off the pin. The guy came down to $150 which im fairly comfortable with cause i can prob sell some of the parts and make up most of the investment. would of liked to go lower but it is what it is. worst case i can take the transmission out of it and put it in my 98's case. either way i should be picking it up tommrow evening

show up with 60 bucks and be like..its all i got man.. take it or leave it... i bet he will help you load it. dick move but it works sometimes.. if he refuses tell him your going to the bank and drive around the block.

show up with 60 bucks and be like..its all i got man.. take it or leave it... i bet he will help you load it. dick move but it works sometimes.. if he refuses tell him your going to the bank and drive around the block.

Hahaha ive done that a time or 2

i was planning on that till i showed up and saw what it was. the cases were painted and the motor was pretty much immaculate so i felt bad trying to cheap out. i ended up talking the guy down to $100 cause it was missing the stator cover, flywheel, and the exhaust valve cover with decomp lever none of which were things i really cared about seeing as i was already swapping the topend and flywheel in from my current motor. after a quick teardown i discovered that its most likely all original but it was very well maintained and has low hours. the inside of the motor is cleaner than my 96 which ive split the cases on twice. overall i think i got a pretty good deal considering what it turned out to be

forgot to mention that the bike the motor came out of now has a suziki gsx 750 motor in it and it was probably the cleanest swap ive ever seen. looked like it came that way from the factory

didnt even cross my mind. was kinda preoccupied by the guys toys. ontop of the warrior he had a raptor 660 with an R1 motor in it which he said he just finished the swap on. he also had a 2000ish ford ranger with a 5.0 stroker swap, a prostreet fox body mustang and a twin turbo 4th gen camaro. not to mention the guys garage was 4 full bays with a lift and a complete metal fab shop.

didnt even cross my mind. was kinda preoccupied by the guys toys. ontop of the warrior he had a raptor 660 with an R1 motor in it which he said he just finished the swap on. he also had a 2000ish ford ranger with a 5.0 stroker swap, a prostreet fox body mustang and a twin turbo 4th gen camaro. not to mention the guys garage was 4 full bays with a lift and a complete metal fab shop.

HOLY **** thats like my dream garage with my dream house. Would love to have a lift, and have it reto fitted to lift mowers, bikes, and of course 4wheelers. I would like to see a warrior with a turbo charged hyabusa motor in it or hell wonder if somebody has slapped a v8 in one yet, like those boss hoss bikes.

no not stacey david but cant lie if the guy had a mullet id buy it if he said he was. aparently he owns a race shop so he can do all kinds of fabwork and it looks like it was always that way. either way the guy clearly had a ton of money to burn.

Back