WHAT? WHY? NO!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Just got back from the HP (hospital) a while ago. All the doctor said was (mmmhmmm, no racing for a while!). I ask'd (why not?), he reply's with (two cracked disc's 32 up from the bottom "center of your spine").

So he give's me an expect'd time to return (February). Uhh, haha, i dont think so Doc, next month i'm gonna try to make it to Maysville for the Winter Series.

Dude-thats not very smart.How old are you?You have a chance of screwing up your back(most of your body's strength)for your whole life!

I speak from experience,I have two cracked AND bulging disks in my lower neck-from doing stupid stunts and construction work for the last 20 years.Now I take 5 different types of pain meds a day so I can keep up.And I am only 37.Let me tell you,living with pain every day and all day is a miserable thing.Unless you need to do something to support you and your family,please think about it first.Sugery is a last resort here,to be sure.

Listen,I admire your desire here,and excuse my rant,but I would hate to see someone make the same mistakes that I did just because you are full of piss-and vinegar.Think about it man.

I'm 23, pain is kinda of an enjoyment to me. Yeah it hurt's but it doesnt bother me that much, hell i laughed when i took a blow to the right cheek with a prybar that left a 1/2 inch scar and a cracked cheek bone that the doctor's never checked, but you can rub your finger's on it and feel the crack.

I only plan to run 2 more race's this year anyway which should be next month at Early Wine. The thing is, i'm alway's at home or in my shop so i've gotta do something to get away for a while so i chose to race which is what ive alway's wanted to do.

Next year, as long as i'm still walking and/or alive, i'm gonna do whatever it take's to get a win with my Warrior, that way i can say i done something that's near impossible from what ive been racing against.

Oh to be 23 and invincible again.....

Listen to Jccruiser he is right. I was in my early 20's when I bit my tongue off at the dunes, 32 stiches later and an hour later I was back out riding again. When your in your 20's you feel no pain. It is a different story when you get older.

I am 39 now and between my bulging disc in my neck and my torn up knees it takes me 5 minutes after getting out of bed to walk normal. (Construction here too... multiple elbow surgeries.) I do a lot of martial arts (Goju Ryu Karate) competetion so I stay in shape but after a heavy sparring session my old injuries catch up to me the next day big time.

All these "tough guys" when there young are now the ones crawling in to see my wife at the clinic or ER in the middle of the night because there old injuries hurt so damn bad they cannot take it.

You were hurting bad enough to go to the hospital in the first place and a man with 8+ years of advanced schooling gave you his professional opinion. I think I would follow it.

Wasn't really hurting, just after 2 month's it start's getting to where i can sit up straight for a long period of time so i decided to go.

As far as being in the 20's and invisible, naw, not me. I know i'm not invisible and know i'm gonna get hurt (sometime's badly). But i don't do any of that crazy riding ****, everything i do is either on track or on a short trail run for a test and everything on track is calculated.

My spine injury was from a simply (didnt know that was there) kinda thing. It was a ligh rain (more like a sift) around 6pm which continued on threwout the rest of the day and i was feeling alot better and more comfortable because it wasn't so hot, so it allowed me to go harder with more strength. Was the only quad there and about 8 bike's (i was running with them too, until one spun the rear tire and hit me in the eye with some rocks). The dip was never in the track, just a medium soft mudhole at the center of the downhill/uphill section. After my 10 or so lap's and after the bike's 6 or so lap's it became a dip and i was still thinking it was the same medium soft mud, so i hit it wide open and crunchy, almost bucked me off when i hit it. I had to slow down for the table at the top of the hill but when i got to the top of it i was back off wide open for the rest of the track and a second table being on the other side of the first one.

Thing's that arn't even imagineable will happen while on track, no matter if you wreck or not and if everything go's perfect, your still gonna get hurt. I pretty much understand everything but it's what i wanna do and ive been waiting 12 year's to do it.

If you've been waiting 12 years another couple months isn't gonna kill you. These other guys in the late 30s are telling you what's gonna happen if you keep it up, but you're not hearing them. I'm only 31 and I have more aches and pains than you can believe. They don't slow me down now, but I know damn well in another five years or so I'm gonna be damn near crippled. I was just like you too. I once wrecked a streetbike between 110-115mph. Some maricle I didn't get killed. I picked up the parts and RODE HOME what was left of the bike. Had a broken left hand but didn't go to the hospital. I didn't even stop lifting weights. I'd wrap it up so tight it would turn purple and keep lifting. You know what??? In the last maybe three weeks that hand has started hurting like hell all the time. It's been years since that accident, and it's now coming back. Both of my shoulders are blown out, my knees are trashed, and every other part you can imagine has aches and pains. You don't want to live like that if you don't have to. Wait till spring when you're 100% and give em hell at the track.

Dude wait till you hit your 30s and you have to get up every morning and try to go to work, and its painful just bending over to put on a pair of socks. Trust us heal your back, it gets worse with age, and a young age at that. I have a bulged disk in my lower, and if I try to pick my Warrior up at the front by my self, the next day will be hell. Just wait it out and do what the doctor says.

Lifting was another big mistake of mine, I was benching 100lb dumbells one time with out a spotter, when my normal weight 85lb ders, well when I went down and tried to explode up, I went to far down, and heard a click in my chest, I went to the doc and said I had a cracked sternum, and to take a year off of lifting. That was 6 1/2 years ago, every now and then when I streach my chest I hear it click. Now when I do work out Im only benching like 135 on a strait bar.

im only 21 and i work at a lumber mill but earlier this year i was bustin my ass liftin some heavy ass **** to get this order done and i dont know what i did but i really fucked my back. for a long time i couldn't even bend down i had to use my feet to get some of the lumber in the piles and i tried riding but it was the shits on any sort of terrain. Not trying to rant here but i would listen to the older guys here i dont want to end up like that when im 30 and still have 25years to retirement.

Hell, I can't even lift anymore I hurt so much. I went from 5'5" tall and 175lbs at 7% body fat, to about 155lbs and a beer belly...lol. I'm 100% positive my shoulders need surgery. When I was younger if I'd have done the smart thing THEN, I wouldn't be like this now..... Use the rest of us old farts as examples, otherwise you'll be just like us in a few years........

Use the rest of us old farts as examples, otherwise you'll be just like us in a few years........

A bit to late for that anyway.

I have dislocated my left shoulder and wrist in a dirt bike crash (60 on asphalt, lay'd it down).

Struck a tree on a quad at 50 or 60 (minor scratche's to face and arm's).

Bruised tissue under right knee cap from rolling a quad over and jumping off.

Have had my ass bone cracked three time's in the past 10 year's.

Dislocated my right shoulder several time's lifting thing's.

Torn muscle to many time's to count in the back of my right arm.

Dislocated left hip from jumping off a 6' sidewalk while running as fast as i could (had reason to run, lol).

Split pinky from knuckle to finger tip (could literally see everything inside of my finger) working on a race car.

~~** All listed abouve, i never went to the hospital **~~

Took a shot to my right eye and cheek by a prybar (crowbar to be exact), cracked cheek bone and luckly didn't damage my eye.

Piece of AL8 Bottle stuck in the side of my right leg, right beside the knee cap.

Broke bone on ring finger from punching out a house window and the glass chopped the bone on impact.

Both big toe's nearly cut completely off (luckly got saved) from walking barefooted and riding a bicycle with no shoe's on.

There's a million other thing's that has happend and yes i'm accident prone (lol). Not to mention, every time i got hurt, i went back for more.

Youre gonna wind up being one of those 35-40 year old guys who spends the rest of his life talking about the cool stuff he used to do but cant anymore because of all the careless stupid decisions he made when he was younger. Then again I dont fully trust doctors since much of their advice is based on not getting sued and they arent allowed to say what they really think out of fear that some hungry dirtbag lawyer is gonna get their malpractice insurance raised again. Id say wait till Feb but you only live once so good luck either way. Hope you heal quickly, you seem to bounce back from injury very well.

Hope you heal quickly, you seem to bounce back from injury very well.

When i was hit in the face by the prybar, a friend and i was putting my new tire's on the rim's. We had a giant screw driver to pry with but needed something bigger. So i went next door and got a prybar, came back, stuck that s.o.b between the tire and the rim and started prying the tire on the rim. I wiggled it a little and he let go of the tire, soon as he done so, the prybar jumped straight up and back (slow motion as i watched) putting my fist into my right eye and nose, the bend on the prybar hit my cheek. I sat for a minute to make sure i could still see out of my eye (everything was black at first). Once i realised my eye was fine i just bust'd out laughing about it as blood was running down my face. Took my shirt off, walked in the house to get my medical card, walked around town once then went to the hospital.

Dumbass doctor or nurse never even thought of doing an x-ray, they discussed with me that they was going to glue the cut shut instead of stitching it. The nurse asked me on a scale from 1 to 10 how bad would the damage be, i told her around a 9 (it was throbbing and a pop knot about an inch tall). So she got some gothls and put almost all her body weight into a push on my cheek (said she was trying to get it to stop bleeding). I guess she thought i was gonna start screaming or something and that i only want'd pain medicaine (why the hell would i do that to myself for pills? i mean come on).

Next day, i took the tire's to the local auto shop, the dude just lay's his arm's over the same tire and rim, the damn thing just fell on.

Let him learn the hard way. if he's too bullheaded to listen to his elders, he'll learn.

Let us know how it works out for ya.

Back