what kind of fuel do you run??

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

350warriorz

Reaction score
just curious on what octane fuel everyone runs in their quads?? or if anyone runs anything different?? thanks!

I run a mix of vp c12 and 93 octane from the pump. One gallon of race fuel then fill up on regular gas. On the stock warrior motor you need only 93 octane pump gas.

The only reason i run a mix is because im way higher compression than stock and without it in the heat it likes to ping a little bit.

93 High test should be good up to 11.5 compression then a little race gas will be needed to mix like DS said.

If anyone is interested here is a link to Sunoco race fuels, I mix the 110 for my 446, one gallon race and the rest 93. I don't order from here, I go to the race track which is only 10 mins away and buy it for $5 a gallon. But if you don't have anything close to you this is nice as they deliver right to your home.

http://www.goestores.com/catalog.aspx?StoreName=highfuelsn&DeptID=169320

87 octane only. Premium is only needed if you run a higher than stock compression. I researched a bunch and higher octane fuel has less energy and runs weaker and hotter in some engines. All new Arctic Cat snowmobiles are dyno run with 87 as that gives them the most power. Dont buy premium unless you really need it, it can actually hurt performance. If you dont know who to listen to try a tank of both and see if theres a difference either way. I wasted alot of $ (and maybe some performance) over the years because premium was a "feel good" thing that didnt make a difference.

87 octane only. Premium is only needed if you run a higher than stock compression. I researched a bunch and higher octane fuel has less energy and runs weaker and hotter in some engines. All new Arctic Cat snowmobiles are dyno run with 87 as that gives them the most power. Dont buy premium unless you really need it, it can actually hurt performance. If you dont know who to listen to try a tank of both and see if theres a difference either way. I wasted alot of $ (and maybe some performance) over the years because premium was a "feel good" thing that didnt make a difference.

I agree with you in cold climates, but the Warrior being aircooled, and I run it in the middle of the summer at sea level altitudes in temps that hover around 100°F, lower octane fuel will ping.

9.2:1 compression on a liquid cooled aluminum engine could run on 87 octane, but this motor is air cooled, and the dealer said only run 93.

I use mid grade. Was using premium but noticed no difference. Why waste the money?

Stock compression warrior don't require premium fuel let alone race gas. Most people say you can run as high as 12.5:1 on premium pump, personally I'd mix about 3:1 though.

and the dealer said only run 93.
You actually listened to a dealer? The dealer here told a guy here he can run premium with octane boost with a 13.5:1 piston in his 450R. Same dealership that told him he wouldn't need to shim his valves when he put in a new cam, now he's waiting on a shim kit and can't ride.

Cranking compression pressure is more of a determaning factor of what fuel type to use/octane rating. I beleive the manual states that to use 87 octane. I've found runing stock compression that I never had to worry about detonation. Now I have to pull a little timing up top when it gets hot out and using only 93.

See i know 87 fuel is fine and all that but for some reason i just feel as if running a higher octane fuel is better for a motor. All the vehicles my family has owned have seen premium pump fuel and all of them but the new one have surpassed the 175,000 mile mark with no internal motor problems. I here problems all the time about guys with motor clunking out way earlier than that. Another thing ive noticed is that 87 octane smells nasty when it burns and comes out the exhaust. I cant make any true claims or give you any facts with anything to back them but it just seems to me like the fuel has something to do with it. like i said i can make no true claims or factual information to that. I'll stick to premium.

Tried Torco Race fuels Accelerator this weekend and WOW!
This is a concentrated race fuel that you mix with premium gas.

e91aa3c3.jpg

I mixed it to 104, but you can mix it up to 107. I had more responsive throtte response, and it seemed to pull a tad harder.

i've been running 89 octane but may try 93 just to see if i notice any differences...

i have been running 93 for years in all my stock bikes. they seem to run excellent and never had a motor problem knock on wood....

87 just doesnt seem worth it when 93 premium shell gas is 10 cents more and 30 more total for a ride.

just my opinion though. i guess im always power hungry haha

Tried Torco Race fuels Accelerator this weekend and WOW!
This is a concentrated race fuel that you mix with premium gas.

e91aa3c3.jpg

I mixed it to 104, but you can mix it up to 107. I had more responsive throtte response, and it seemed to pull a tad harder.

I used the stuff made by klotz called nitro... its an oxiginating additive with koolinal. It works.... the claims on the bottle are true.. i had to rejet and damn did that thing pull hard on top.

I figured out real quick last weekend when I took mine out for the first real riding that it runs like **** and pings a lot on anything less than 93. I ran some 89 to see what it would do and it ran like crap. I then added some 93 and it ran a little better. I then tried 93 with some of that NOS (black bottle) booster and it ran a lot better. I am going to try the race fuel mixture next to see what that does. My motor is higher compression than stock, so I should have known it needed the higher octane fuel, but I had to test the waters I guess. At least now I know what a difference it makes.

what about just some plain autopart store octane booster??

does this help a fair amount??

ive also been told a lot that higher octane is just better for any engine in general.

and has anyone seen the mythbusters that mouth balls actully increase the octane of gas??

Back