what is wrong with this thing?!?!?!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2001workedwarrior

Reaction score
So a month or 2 ago i was riding and it was REALLY muddy. I got home and went to drive my quad out to the garage and it wouldnt start. I have cleaned the carb changed the plug, checked every connection i can. It turns over but will not fire and when i tested for spark i didnt see any but i dont know if i was testing right. I also dont know if im getting fuel. The plug is never wet but mayube the spark is burning the fuel but just not starting. its got me confused. my first question is how do i check for spark properly? How do i check if im getting fuel. Is my coil bad maybe? The orange wire that connects to the coil i tried hooking a test light up to it and to ground and didnt seem to be getting power. then i hooked a wire from that orange wire to the sparkplug still nothing. and thats where im at.The orange wire goes to a black box next to the cdi under the rear fenders. what is this black box? and did i do a proper test on it or how should i test different things? Im not too good with electronic stuff thats why i have kickstart only bikes and quads usually. any help or suggestions on what the problem is or how to test to find it would be greatly appreciated. i really dont want to take it to the dealer because they're a bunch of dicks

One way you can check for spark, is really simple.

Pull the plug out of the head, put it back in the boot, hold the base of the plug on the head, (so that it grounds) and crank it over.

If you don't ground it correctly, it won't spark and might make your "Sticker Peck out.....":haha:

Just watch the gap for spark.

Good Luck.

-Rhyno

ya thats how i checked for spark and didnt see anything but if there wasnt spark shouldnt the plug be wet with fuekl which its not?

ya thats how i checked for spark and didnt see anything but if there wasnt spark shouldnt the plug be wet with fuekl which its not?

That depends on the engine's internal condition and, mainly, the vacuum that's created.

You could also spray some Ether, or "Splash" some gas in the hole. If it tries to light, then you know.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned..... is to make sure the cranking voltage is "High Enough."

A standard, on most engines, is that the Cranking Voltage needs to be 9.6 Volts or higher.

If you're still not getting spark, this forum has a number of Threads that gets into Ignition Diagnosis with a Volt/Ohm Meter.

Good Luck.....

-Rhyno

Last edited:
Already tried the ether. I guess ill just start testing stuff. It seems to be cranking over the same speed as usual. Could it not have enough compression

If compression is low enough it wont start on ether/starting fluid. You have to do a compression test to be certain. About the only outward sign of low compression is an engine that turns over a little faster than normal, without being able to start ofcourse. If an engine is low on compression it will be low on vacuum, too. So, if it is low on compression, it may not have enough vacuum to pull the air and fuel into the cylinder. Sometimes engines that are low on compression can be pull started because the engine turns over faster than when cranking with the starter, and it can "build" enough compression and vacuum to start it.

Right now I don't have the clutch lever on the cable is just hanging there so I can't start it. Also the switch up by the clutch perch or sensor I guess it is is not clipped in because it broke. Does that effect Anything? And it ran before and seemed to have plenty of compression to run so if it ran shouldn't it start now?

Not necessarily. An engine can lose compression at any time. Just because it ran well one day doesn't mean it will have enough compression to start the next. All engines loose compression over the course of their life. It's only a matter of time before compression gets to low to even start it.

I forget the factory spec. The general lowest reading is no lower than 120psi, I believe. I wanna say warriors are around 150 psi. Been a while since I've had to do one. I once had a trx200sx that had 90psi and started and ran! But, all engines are different.

OK so when I have it turning over for awhile I smell fuel but just raw fuel. It doesn't smell like its been ignited. Is it possible that somehow my timing got 180 degrees off and the fuel either isn't getting into the cylinder or its going right out the exhaust? The fact that I smell raw fuel and it wouldn't start on ether leads me to beloved there is no spark or it may be possible that my timing somehow got changed?

It has no spark but I don't know where to start or how to test stuff. Im not good with electrical. I have meters that test electrical stuff but don't know how to use them or what I'm testing for

you got the book right ... check all you connections and grounds if they are good ..... just look up how to test stuff start with ohm'in the stator

Back