Well it's not a quad but its a project

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad021

Reaction score
a buddy's dad asked me to look at his 1980 honda cx500 custom motorcycle and see if i could get it running, well the first thing i told him was that it will run, depending on how much money he wants to throw back into it(more of a sentimental object), well i pulled the carbs to see how dirty the were cleaned them and replaced the accelerator pump assembly, and it runs now, except it backfires on the right half of the egnine. The left pipe warms up quicker than the one on the right making me guess the right cylinder was dead. when the bike runs hard the right half of the motor will begin to heat up. also if you pull the right plug (while running) nothing happens, no change in idle. And if you pulle the left one it dies immediately, no struggle just dead, also leading me to believe the right cylinder is not fucntioning. Today I took it out for a ride and burned the hell outta my right leg to my shock and disbelief the pipe was hot. The engine pulls smoothly taking it down the road. Why does the left side of the engine seem to heat up faster? Why dose it idle if the right plug is disconnected and even out of the motor? Could valve timing be a huge part of this. The right side is gettin spark and fuel. Any ideas?

is the carb adjust correctly on that side of the engine? The coil could be bad. I've also seen a spark plug fire but be out of time. This could be an issue. How old is the gas? Do you have compression on that side? Maybe one of the valves is hanging open.

its a backfire from the exhaust, the gas is brand new since i cleaned the carbs (no sense in running old gas in clean carbs) and yes it does feel im getting a decent compression

Back