Well, I think I broke something!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usdsk8er540

Reaction score
well, on wednesday my buddy and i went to deepwater (80 miles north of springfield) to go ride. well, first of all, it sucked because the largest part of the riding area (that goes to the lake) was closed and blocked with metal fencing. so we had to go ride the other part and rode the drag strip. well i raced a honda 450r and got my ass spanked and went to ride this trail that comes off of the drag strip at one end and returns to the strip at the other. well after we got off the trail and back on the strip, i cranked it up and started going down the strip. then my motor just kind of sputtered and shut off. i tried to restart it and it wouldnt start (just made a clicking sound) and the crankcase vent hose coughed up some black smoke. i let it sit for a few minutes and tried it again and it started, but made this really loud chunking noise. the kind of sound that makes you shudder and hope nothing got too fucked up in there! we had only done 4.5 miles there before we towed it back to the trailer (another mile) and drove 80 miles back to springfield to take the warrior to the shop. im not sure what is wrong with it right now, but the mechanic that does my work said that he doesnt think its something too major. maybe a valve or something. ill let you all know when i find out and post some pics. later

thanks guys. DS, what would happen if the valve tappet came loose? would it cause the valve to hit the piston or something? im just hoping its not too bad. i should probably know something next week.

I dont run hotcam specs on mine..............There not tappets anymore with those specifications .
There hammers!
I'm going on 2 years plus with stock cams specs on my hotcam wothout a problem.
I cant imagine why they even put the specifications at what they do.........

Oh and I've checked my valves twice since I assembled it..........there holding well.
No adjusts needed as of yet. So I wouldnt be afraid of tightenen them up some if your tired of hearwen those tappets bangen in there,

well i just got back from the shop here in town. apparently i destroyed the bearings in my crank and both ends of the rod, made the top hole of the rod (where it connects to the piston) egg shaped (instead of round), smacked the wiseco piston on the head a bit, and just generally fucked the son of a bitch up! apparently there is also a round piece of metal about the size of a half dollar (maybe bearing?) down in the crank somewhere. my stock rod was pretty close to breaking as well. it basically made itself a stroker for a few seconds! it sucks seeing it all torn down but its probably going to end up with a stroker crank, rod, and piston and a new clutch. say hello to 396cc's of pure fun (for about $1600, with parts (stroker, gaskets, clutch, stage 2 hotcam, oil, etc.) and labor (boring from 83.5 to 84 and putting stroker and clutch in) so its not too bad. ill keep yall posted on it. later

Other then the cylinder work, are you doing it yourself? I think now that since it Has to be done, it would be a Very good opportunity for you to get you hands dirty. :D
~Bill

no im having the local shop do it for me. they give me pretty good deals on stuff so i go to them. i guess i forgot to say that the price also includes porting and polishing so the stroker can "breathe" better. all i would need then is an edelbrock carb and i would be pretty much topped out on the warrior (unless there is something else i dont know about, other than headpipe and revbox). after a while i might get tired of the 400 stroker and get a 450, but who knows. well, im gonna pass out on my bed because ive had a long night/early morning. hopefully i dont have too bad of a hangover tomorrow, but there's a pretty good chance. later

i dont know about nitrous. maybe if i rode dunes a lot (have never been, but want to go) it would be worth it, but i dont think it would be a good idea to have it on for trails. whether it was an accident or not, i would probably end up pushing the button and wrapping the warrior around a tree at chadwick! it would be fun for a minute until i crashed or fucked my motor again!

well i just got back from the shop here in town. apparently i destroyed the bearings in my crank and both ends of the rod, made the top hole of the rod (where it connects to the piston) egg shaped (instead of round), smacked the wiseco piston on the head a bit, and just generally fucked the son of a bitch up! apparently there is also a round piece of metal about the size of a half dollar (maybe bearing?) down in the crank somewhere. my stock rod was pretty close to breaking as well. it basically made itself a stroker for a few seconds! it sucks seeing it all torn down but its probably going to end up with a stroker crank, rod, and piston and a new clutch. say hello to 396cc's of pure fun (for about $1600, with parts (stroker, gaskets, clutch, stage 2 hotcam, oil, etc.) and labor (boring from 83.5 to 84 and putting stroker and clutch in) so its not too bad. ill keep yall posted on it. later

1600!!!!?!?!!

Do yourself a favor and send the motor to FST and get a 446 stroker, its runs about 1300. Thats without cam and etc, but still if you going to spend that much might as well do it right.

well, its getting a new clutch, port and polish, bored, stroked, cam, and i would assume dyno tuning as well to dial it all in. also, the shop its at is here in town (only a few miles from my house) and i wouldnt want to pull the motor out myself, crate it up, and ship the bitch! sounds like too much work for me. lol

Daniel,

Not to ruin a good day or anything, but your atv is not the first one to come out of their shop only to fail a short time later. I have been hearing of quite a few people having serious issues after having work done there.

Super nice people, but I am fearful of having work done there now.

Long time no see,
Rusty

Guys, buy a manual and learn to work on the bike yourself. It's almost as fun ripping it apart, fixing, rebuilding and hear it start up as it is riding....well not quite but it is cheaper:p It's not as hard as you guys think it is, worst case scenario is the bike goes to the shop anyways, except you save money cause you already ripped it apart.....less labor..lol

i have faith in the shop. the main reason i fucked my bearings and crank was because i was running with basically no oil. the motor ****-up was my fault. well anyways, rusty, long time no see. we will be getting the parts for the stroker and starting work on it on sep. 5th. shouldnt take too long though. i would try to do it myself, but i wouldnt have any clue how to do it (even with a manual), i dont have the tools, time, or space to do a motor rebuild, and they dyno tune it when they are done with the build. ill probably do the oil cooler setup as well. ill let yall know when its done. later!

Daniel- Grats on the new build.

I meant nothing bad about the shop. I have just heard of some not so good things happening latly with some new rebuilds.

Shoot me an email sometime.

right on. have you guys been riding much? seems like i havent heard anything from anyone lately. well, i gotta go to work. later

Back