Welding

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N3VER

Reaction score
I go to a technical school here in Arkansas. But i am currently in Heating and Air classes but i am starting to not really like it very much. I am now thinking of changing my major to welding and want to see if any of you guys on here are welders by trade, and if so what do you think of doing it for a living?

Dang i figured there were some career welders on here. I know there are plenty of hobby welders on here.

I can weld mig with the best of them but I wouldn't wanna do it as a career, its hard on organs and way to hot here in tx

2Kwar is a professional welder. I'm sure he can fill you in.

I just tig on my own stuff as needed with my brothers setup.....and its pretty crappy. Lots of grinding on my welds. Hahahah

Welding has a type of radiation that kills eyes and can lead to skin cancer.

But there's nothing like taking raw steel and creating something useful without screws or nails.

Welding has a type of radiation that kills eyes and can lead to skin cancer.

But there's nothing like taking raw steel and creating something useful without screws or nails.

Seems like that could be avoided with proper equipment.

I've never taken a course for it, but am a natural at it, and have had tutalege (?) several time from a few different professional welders I know. I can mig awesome, and stick pretty well. I don't often have to use stick and my stick welder is ancient, so it's not my strongest point. You can make good money doing it, however, burns, sunburn (yes you can get that welding), inhaling metal dust, etc... gets old. It does feel great to take a hunk of metal and make it into something. I should post pics of my 10ton equiptment trailer I put a gooseneck on.

Oh it can, just wearing a long sleeve shirt protects against sunburn. But many times you forget about wearing them. And it gets hot as a mo fo when welding. You litterally be driping with sweat in some cases. Still fun, though. I love to weld. Something theraputic about it.

I've never taken a course for it, but am a natural at it, and have had tutalege (?) several time from a few different professional welders I know. I can mig awesome, and stick pretty well. I don't often have to use stick and my stick welder is ancient, so it's not my strongest point. You can make good money doing it, however, burns, sunburn (yes you can get that welding), inhaling metal dust, etc... gets old. It does feel great to take a hunk of metal and make it into something. I should post pics of my 10ton equiptment trailer I put a gooseneck on.

Dam GEn, i have to take a pic of my "ancient" stick welder n we can compare,,,,,,,old ass lincoln. As for u nev3r, im looking for work n i see tons of HVAC jobs all the time!

Very true, people want heat in the winter and ac in the summer. You'll always have a profession. My friend is using his GI bill for electrician and is going to hvac next. My stick is a craftsman colormatic. Still works!

My first semester i was really digging my heating and air classes. But as of lately i havnt really been into it. I really like working with my hands, and i think i would be good at welding. But it seems like it does have alot of downfalls. Guess i have something to think about. I would still like to hear some opinions of people that do it for a living.

Why not do both. You learn to braze, and sweet copper pipe in hvac . The more you can do for a employer the better your stock in the hiring pool. Plus it can really save you a **** load of $$$ down the road. Just my. 02

My dad wleded for a living for 17 years. He loved doing it and still does but after awhile he got tired of it. All the working conditions and downfalls described earlier are true getting burned, sweating helath issues etc... His sight started to get bad and he wasnt making much $ because there wasnt much room to advance in the career of welding atleast where he was working. So it might be good to do for awhile but i dont know that you'd want to do it as a career for a long amount of time

Welding is a ton of fun, but not something I would do for a living. That's why you see most welders wearing glasses most of the time. The masks are only so good. And speeking of burns, I have some nice 3rd degree scars on my left shoulder from welding.

Why not do both. You learn to braze, and sweet copper pipe in hvac . The more you can do for a employer the better your stock in the hiring pool. Plus it can really save you a **** load of $$$ down the road. Just my. 02

Already learned to braze in my first year. And cant really afford to go to classes for both.

My friends father is a welder. He make $68 an hour in Wyoming. Its a good living until your health is affected, if its affected at all. My friends father was burned bc of an explosion tho.

Back