warriorrider01 project "cheap ass"

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorrider01

Reaction score
hey guys, thought i'd start a build thread if anyone is interested in building a warrior on the cheap.

it started with a 2000 warrior i bought for 500 bucks. it already had all the aftermarket stuff on it, like the nerfs, and rear grab bar, skid plates, e series pipe and jet kit, and a new travelcade seat cover, but was severely neglected.

it wouldnt start unless you coast start it, and "something" was missing from the ignition system and the wires were hanging there.

the axle was stripped, and one hub spun freely and the other was welded on....ugh.

the brake pads were completely wore down PAST the metal and the rear brakes wouldnt build pressure.

the engine had a backfire on deceleration i believe caused by the packing in the muffler.

the steering stem bushing up top is worn out, along with the stem bearing in the bottom.

the a arm bushings are worn and the lower ball joints are worn.

so far i re-assembled the starter wiring and put a new starter solenoid on FIRES RIGHT UP! 22 bucks

got a new (used) axle and 2 hubs for 140 shipped to my house.

got 16 a arm bushings for 22 bucks shipped

ordered front and rear pads shipped to my house for 19 bucks!

ordered a rear master cylinder rebuild kit for `12 bucks.

the only things left to order to restore this thing back to like new running and driving condition is lower ball joints (50 bucks for the set) the steering stem bushing (top) and bearing (bottom) about 10 bucks for the bottom bearing, and i'm going to make a top bushing. i also need a rear shock. i've seen tons of them in good shape for around 40 or less shipped.

so total price to completely restore this thing to almost excellent condition running and driving wise is 815.00 dollars

i'm going to restore the plastics as well as i can, to eliminate all the white spots, then buy a cheap yamaha sticker sheet and do my own cheap graphics. i'm thinking the n style universal yamaha decals, for 20 bucks, then some nice grips and a bar pad...about another 20 bucks. then eventually i gotta get some front tires. i'm also going to get some blue metallic spray paint, and paint my stator cover, and also my pipe...that pipe is too nice to let it go to hell like the PO did

**** seems to add up pretty quick, but if you think about it, a 2000 warrior with all those extras, and every bushing and bearing tight, and the plastics arent a total eyesore for about 1 grand isn't so bad...especially around here.

Last edited:
warrior.jpg

quadpractice.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

Last edited:
Look for a cheap used stock banshee shock. You'll be happy you did. Bad news for yah thou, those front lower ball joints can't be replaced. You need to look for complete lower a-arms.

Neither. Only year with the replaceable ball joints was the 1 gen warrior. (yeah I know, shitty design) And the 1st gens a-arms don't line up on a 00 warrior to swap them. Look on flee bay or on here. You can still fix the issue on the cheap.

i'd like to find a ball joint close to the same size or bigger, and see if there is a way i can make it fit. i've been a mechanic/fabricator for years, so there has got to be another way. but i'll probably buy arms anyway, then see what i can do with my old ones... if i make my old ones work then i'll know that for next time and i'll share with you guys

**** u got a good start here lol U CAN DO IT !!!! I like it. cheap ass is the name for it lol! Alot of good parts there too. Bring it back to life man keep us posted!

spent the weekend working on my jeep cherokee since i'll be driving it for a while (lady pulled out in front of me in my wrangler) had enough of working on the jeep for a bit so decided to do a few little things to the warrior.

it had a slight exhaust leak in front coming off the cylinder, so i pulled the pipe off to put a new gasket in it. it looks like the PO must have stripped where the bolts go because it was held in by 2- 3/8 bolts that were about an inch and a half long....ridiculous! i understand if you gotta re tap it, but at least go to the hardware store and spend a buck on the right length bolts! so i'll be putting new bolts in with the gasket.

upon removing the old gasket i figured i'd try painting the header pipe since it was rusty (some people say it works, some say it doesnt, we'll see) i also painted the muffler and engine side cover since it was pretty ratty looking.

its pretty much ready to go, except i want to put the a arm bushings in, and cut the old ball joints off and fabricate some removable ball joints onto the stock a arms.

some pics.......

next step is fabricating a custom frame mounted case saver, since if i figure out how to attach it to the case it would probably damage the case worse if it were to happen again.

i'd be welding a small bracket to the bottom tube of the frame and another small bracket to the tube going up to the seat rail. then building the case saver to there.

i also pulled all the stickers off, and eventually i'll do something different...not too concerned with flashy looks, i don't want it to look like a total piece of ****, but its also just a woods toy...not a show piece

from looking at the pics it wouldn't be hard seeing that the lower mount hole is still there you could use a long bolt and spacer to one of the crack case bolts for a top mount but you would have to hind a way to put i mid mount on it so it wont try and throw it off if you bust a chain

Back