Warrior won't start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtcl33

Reaction score
I have a warrior 350 I got from my cousin, he was tired of trying to make it work so said I could have it if I could get it going. I can get it to turn over but can't get it started. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and tried to start it and it'll fire up for a second but then quits. So I knew it was getting spark, but must not be getting fuel. I took te carb off cleaned it made sure the float worked and put it back on and it's doing the same thing. Is there a trick to the carb that I'm missing or could it be something else. I can't see any fuel coming up out of the carb when I'm trying to start it so don't know if I just haven't cleaned everything I need to or what. Any help would be appreciated.

Just buy a new carb from zoom zoom on eBay. 66$. Bolt on & ride. Seriously. You will be amazed

Well after I typed this up I went back out and played with it some more. I got it to start and idle but now it dies when I give it gas. I'm guessing the carb is still messed up. The idle is pretty rough anyway. Perhaps I'll look into this new carb.

I've been trying to give it gas and it'll act like its bogging down and then it'll die. It's back firing some too. Is that another problem or could that be the carb too? Also sounds like a knock at the top of the motor, could that be timing?

I ordered a new carb last night should be here sat.

Well got the new carb today and put it on and have pretty much the same issue. The idle is a little smoother but it's still trying to die when I gas it up. It's like its trying to backfire out of the carb. I'm going to get a new plug since it acts like its not igniting all of the fuel. Any ideas?

Get a new plug and check for strong spark. Check/adjust your valves as well.

Well, new plug....again it seems a little better but still not right. Im trying to get this thing running with no air filter or anything hooked up could that be a problem? Could it be getting too much air? The air filter and hose should be here tomorrow, I had to order replacements because the hose and were non existent.

Just checking didn't want to be stumped by something so simple. I Guess I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and check into the valve issue

Adjusted the valves and still the same results... I can gradually idle it up if I cover part of the carb so it has to work harder for air. I'm waiting for the air box to carb hose to show up and I'll put that on and if nothing changes I'm stumped. I don't know what else it could be.

Check for a stretched cam chain. Pull off the cam gear cover. Left side top of head. And the black oversized screw cap on the top of the left side, stator cover. Hand crank the engine till you see a letter "T" in the stator cover hole. Then look and see if the cam gear mark is lined up. That's how you check timing. If it appears to be a tooth off, then you need a new chain.

I checked the chain when I checked the valves and it appeared to be fine.

So I'm still trying to get this thing going. It'll start and hard idle then backfire some as you try to idle it up. It's stock jets out of a new zoom zoom carb. I pulled the plug and it's burnt so I guess it's running too rich. I've looked how how to adjust the needle but can't seem to figure it out. If I adjust that would it help me any?

Also I've been looking around here and there was someone who talked about their 350 doing the same thing and they ended up replacing the cdi box to get it running. What's everyone's thoughts on that? And how do I test for something like that?

Back