Warrior Won't start

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

Reaction score
I recently picked up a project warrior. Couldn't pass the deal its a 2000 and I paid $500 for it. Looks pretty sound, aftermarket pipe, comes with a full skid plate, decent tires, plastics aren't bad, other than that just missing some bolts, and the guy said it needed a starter.

I brought it home checked out the wiring, replaced the fuse, took apart the starter cleaned it up, put it back in the quad hooked up a battery and it cranks!! Checked that it has good compression, making great spark, but wouldn't fire.

Took the carb off cleaned it up put it back on still nothing. Gave it a hint of ether and it starts right up till the ether burns out then back to nothing. Cup my hand over the intake and choke the piss out of it and it will start, take my hand off it dies. Start it back up with my hand over it and leave my fingers cracked to let a little air in and it will stay running but is choking on the fuel.

Thought maybe it was out of time so I pulled the covers and checked it out, it was off a little so I turned it a tooth, but that made no difference.

Started looking at the carb, found the mixture screw turned all the way in, backed it out 2.5 turns that didnt do anything either.

Went back to looking at timing, decided maybe the cam was 180 out, tried that and it made no difference either. Checked the valve clearance and is good, could see the cam through the valve cover and it looks good, not scored or anything.

No matter what I have done it still does the same thing. Choke the hell out of it, or use ether and it will start, but as soon as I take my hand away, or the ether burns out it stalls.

The new thing I have noticed is that it now is some how getting oil in the cylinder if you tip it up on the grab bar, oil drips out the pipe. That has me really confused since it makes such good compression and everything seems to be tight, unless it has a bad valve seal and just how much I have been cranking it, it is dripping in........ I don't know...........

Any ideas on what could be the problem?? Could really use some help, I am at a loss....Everything I know says it should run, so what is the deal!! :argh:

I did pull the jets out and cleaned them. Thought it was flowing, but maybe not. Will check into that hopefully tomorrow.

In the mean time any other ideas?

If you are putting your hand over the it and it starts its really starving for fuel. I would check to make sure the bowl is getting full of fuel, then look at the main jet to make sure its open, and the pilot jet. I am haveing hell with mine right now not wanting to to rev when you pin the throttle and thing I have it worked it some. It was something with the pilot jet.

That pilot jet is really really small and the ports for it as well, if something got in there it has it clogged.

I am sure the bowl is getting full, in some points there is fuel coming out the overflow on the bottom. I am going to tare apart the carb tonight and see what else I might be able to find.

stock, 42.5 and 145

Looked again not in so much of a hurry.... sorry.

Last edited:
Not sure of you elevation, but you really need to rejet since its got a pipe and filter. Go up one on the pilot and get a few of the next sizes up.

Here are a few pics of the pile, how it sits right now anyways.

NoFlaps.jpg

041311Bought10.jpg

That's pretty much what it is right now. I pealed off all the stupid f****** stickers that were all over the front (will race for beer, I use Honda's for traction, powered by Oreos)so you don't get to enjoy those. I also have the headlights for it just not on it there, they need a little work, straighten the frame anyway. Other than that, still missing a few bolts, but for what I have in it, I don't think I am doing to bad yet.

041311Bought9.jpg

so I was just looking around online, where is a good place to get jets from? I was just looking at a place jetsrus, has anyone ever ordered from there? They list 7 different types for the main, and eight different types for the pilot. What type do I need?

jets are 4 bucks each at the dealer .... id get 45 47.5 for pilots and 147.5 150 and start with those jetting can be time consuming when your trying to get it just right

Rebuilt the carb and it running. Still needs some timing and tuning though. Will keep working on it.

Drug it out last night and started messing with it again. Turned the cam back 180 so it is back where it was, made sure it was in time and fired it up. Now it will start right up but you can not throttle it..... at all also it was the same before I turned the cam back. Also as soon as you take the choke off it will die, but as long as the choke is on it will sit and run just fine. I am going to order some bigger jets for it today, figured I would get a couple sizes over stock for each jet. Local shop wants way to much for them ($10 each), so I figured I would just order them. Also where is a good spot to start with on the main needle? I think I put the clip in the second slot from the bottom.

I left the clip at the center spot and added the the 45 and 147.5. The pilot should help it run richer so you'll really only have to mess with the fuel mix screw.

Of topic a bit but does anyone else hate the position of that stupid screw? I have several screw drivers and only one of them fits but its a bitch to adjust while its hot and running.

yes I hate that spot too. I only have one stubby screw driver that is stubby enough to get in there.

Back