WARRIOR WILL NOT START(INTERMITTENT SPARK)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash688

Reaction score
i have a 2001 warrior.

It started screwing up months ago, and i thought i was jetted incorrectly, but i ended up having to change jets every few weeks to the next size down. and everytime i would shut it off...it seemed like i had to **** with it for over 20 mins to get it to start again.

then finally on the last ride it was REALLY running like a bag of ass......next morning wouldnt start(no spark). oh and during the time of owning it, i have gone through 8 spark plugs(all looked good, none were over heated or fouled very bad).

Anyways after reading up in the manual and doing a few resistance checks, i came to realize my ignition coil is very week.....ok, not a big deal....but my stator is completely fried......so i thought damn, that must be my problem....bought a new stator off rmstator.com, the bike ran great for about 5 mins after the install, i shut it off, then it wouldnt start again....now i have an intermittently shitty spark, sometimes it sparks sometimes it dosent sometimes it sparks big, then small, so its got a brand new stator, brand new ignition coil, i have followed each wire on the bike for shorts.

Does this sound like the CDI is fried, because i can tell it has been replaced at one time, because it is a rmstator high rev cdi..........can the cdi cause intermittent sparks, and starting failure....it seems so wierd because the cdi is a solid state, so i wouldnt figure it would do different things, i would figure once its fried, its fried.

Any imput would be appreciated, i honestly have a very good background of mechanical, and engines, and i am honestly stumped with this cdi.

I dont want to spend another 100 bucks to realize it was something else, but i have NO idea what else it could be..

I have checked for shorts, The neutral switch, clutch switch, on. off switch, grounds, and also made sure each wire was not grounding that should not have been using the manual as a guide.

I,d try rechecking the new one just for the hell of it, since it started with it.

Make sure it didnt self destruct or maybe somthin else kille dit?

But it pays to make sure.

ya i was really pissed at that point....lol....but it is at my cottage, and i cant test it until the weekend....i kinda want to know weather or not to order the cdi, because it only takes 2 days to deliver.....so far, no one has really been able to tell me what the cdi does exactly....well i know, but....how it could ever possibly short...and if it did, could it be intermittent....

What about valve adjustment. Correct me if I am wrong but if the valves have seized or on the verge of doing so once they heat up and the bike is shut off it will not start again. Although you said it sat for a night and the next day it still wouldn't start I would still check this. But like I said if someone wants to correct me here then please do so. I am no professional and this is still all new to me.

I have an 01 warrior also and adjusted my valves for the first time by myself last night with the help of a buddy and the whole process took around 30 minutes taking all plastics off the front and the tank.

I don't know if thats your problem. Just trying to help..

Don't buy a CDI yet. Remove the rear plastic and inspect the harness where it goes around the frame to the CDI. You will need to pull the 2 plugs on the CDI to get a good look at harness. Chances are high the insulation may have wore off and it is grounding to the frame.

i really dont think its the valves because i have an intermittent spark, as for a shorted wire against the frame, i unpluged the cdi, and using a continuity tester i hooked one end on ground, and went through the wires one by one seeing which wires were grounding, and i moved the wires to see if any of them were intermittently grounding out. Using the colour chart from the manual its very easy to tell which wires should be grounded in the off position.

I have ordered a cdi for the hell of it...and if its not the problem...i will have a high rev cdi for sale shortly...lol

You know it would have just been cheaper to buy a new wire harness. I had the same prob with my 95 blaster. Bought a new harness and it works fine now.

Back