warrior Sputters

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1987 Warrior

Reaction score
Hey everybody im new to the forum and need some help.

I have a 1987 warrior and it sputters at 1/4-1/2 throttle in any gear when im trying to maintain a constant speed or accelerate, it will run smooth when at idle and when i pin it while accelerating to shift gears. i have a pro circuit t4 slip on exhaust with a DG header pipe and a twin air airfilter on it which i attached right to the carburetor because i dont have a airbox due to a lowering kit is in the way for the airbox to fit, I have had the carb cleaned multiple times, I have no idea what jets are in it.

Any help is much appreciated
Jay

You need to rejet the carb if you have not done so. You are most likely going to be lean(not enough fuel in the air/fuel mixture) and will have to install larger jets. Do a search here on the forum, and you will find multiple jetting threads. Also, make sure that your intake manifold is not cracked allowing unmetered air into the engine.

Get a new plug in it and then see what size jets are in the carb
is it a sooty black or oily wet black?

Well, black indicates that it is running rich. Honestly, without knowing what your current jetting is (pilot jet, main jet, jet needle position, idle mixture screw setting) there just isn't much else to go by. Also, at what throttle position did you get that reading? Really need to get a plug reading from all three throttle positions (idle, half throttle, wide open in 6th).

Don't forget to check the notorious parking brake to insure it is not engaged triggering the safety switch. That will cause those symptoms as well.

Does it sputter or sound like a John Deer tractor (put, put, put) at that throttle position ¼ to ½ ?

Mine was doing the same thing and everything I did to the carb never helped.
Ultra sound cleaned it, rebuilt it, bigger jets, smaller jets, move the clip up and down on the needle, nothing helped.
Finally figured something I could not see was wrong with the carb.
I finally gave up on it and thought I would blow $68.00 on a new Zoom Zoom carb (Mikuni clone carb).
It turned out to be the best $68.00 I ever spent; it runs better than it ever did.
It didn’t even need any adjustment right out the box.

ok so i did a plug reading and at idle it was a tan/brown at 1/2 it was black and a full throttle it was black and the sooty kind. also i only did the tests for like 30 seconds at idle and 1/2 throttle, is that long enough for a proper reading?? have yet to see what jets are in it

also it no longer accelerates smoothly more like a delayed sputter when i pin it

Last edited:
sounds like your pilot jet is fine, probably need to get a smaller main jet and possibly drop the needle, open the carb up and see what jets are in it. main is the big round one in the middle when you take the bowl off. pilot is down inside the tube to the side of the main

might be able to just get away with dropping the needle by moving the clip up a notch
cause the needle controls the whole mid range throttle
does it sputter or anything at WOT? or is it just 1/4 to 1/2

so they are stock jets then now see what notch the needle clip is on stock is 3rd notch from top

Sorry for obvious but it happens. Air filter clean and flowing good? How's it run if you pull the air filter off and try it just for a few seconds?

well crap i just bent the crap out of the spring that pushes a rod up after u left off the throttle, have no idea what its for but im guessing it important!

and were about is that needle you are talking about YAMAHAULER??

my air filter was just cleaned a couple week ago and i haven't ridden the bike more than 30 minutes

If you're talking about the accelerator pump spring, just use a BIC pen spring, they work better anyway.

Back