Warrior ''shooting''?!?!

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtstalker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had another problem with my warrior. Went out riding in the snow today. It done fine for about an hour, then messed up. Battery is dead so I been boosting it off. Anyway...when it messed up..it started backfiring really bad, pretty much like you was running a full mag out of a pistol.(hence thread title). It would idle ok, but when you went to give it any gas it would start the backfiring and it would not rev up any at all just pop and crack a whole helluva lot. It has done this a few times before but it always stopped after I shut it down and cooled it off for a while. Today, it didn't do that. I shut it down for about 45 mins and it started doing it as soon as I started back up. And it starts fine. Is the stator causing this or what?

Those were done away with a long time ago. I checked the 3 plugs for the stator, and the smallest one came just pulled loose. I plugged it back up, but it didn't seem to want to 'lock' into the connector. After that, it would still start fine and idle good, but still no go on the throttle. Still pop and cracked whenever I gave it gas.

so it starts and idles fine but as soon as you start pushing the throttle it starts popping and won't rev correct

I would start by pulling carb and cleaning it might have gotten some gunk in it and is clogging the jets
since it was running fine for an hour before it started acting up I would start with cleaning the carb

the clutch one you just plug the 2 wires into each other down under the headlights and toss the switch end And the parking brake one you just unplug and toss switch for the 02-04 years anyway

dont ride near a cop if its like that lol i think its justa dirty carb and you need a battery my battery was dead and mine done the same thing but in my case i had to change battery and stator.

UPDATE!!! Quad is still doing this. I put in new rings and valve seats, and lapped the valves, to cure a smoking issue. Got it started up, and it's doing the same thing! Starts and idles really good, but any throttle and it starts popping and backfiring like crazy. Give it gas all the way and the bike just quits all together, but will idle fine once it is started. I cleaned the carb, and it was spotless when I took it apart. Im still having to hook booster cables up to it to test it out, so no battery in it. Is this still a fuel related issue or what am I lookin at next?

I tested the stator. On the 3 white wires, it's reading 1.3-1.5 on all 3. Oh the source coil, it's reading around 355-360. And on the pickup coil it's reading a little over 300. I know these numbers are higher then they are supposed to be. This is testing 3 different stators that I have laying around. And the all read the same. I had a brand new one laying around that I put on, and it done the same thing, with the same testing results. And the old one I had on it tested the same. With these higher readings, would it be causing this?

pull the spark plug I bet it's black sounds to me like the bike is running way too rich from 1/4 throttle up so check the needle clip
what position is the needle clip in? 3rd slot down from top is stock setting
and also what size main jet is in the carb
and is quad all stock or what mods like exhaust airbox/filter

I checked the jets and needle setting. Main is 45, pilot is 145. Needle is at 2nd notch from the top. The bike was set like this back in the summer, and it did great like that until recently when it started to act like I've stated. Any more ideas?

Bike is stock except for uni air filter and procircuit t4 slip on exhaust. no airbox mods at all and no motor mods other then added a oil cooler

Last edited:
Ok guys, this sumbitch still ain't runnin right. Can get it to start and idle fine still. I've changed the stator, twice, ignition coil, solenoid. Cleaned the carb a half dozen times, and still no go. What could possibly be wrong? Is it the cdi box? timing? valves? I'm at a complete ****** loss on it. I tried out a supposedly "good" cdi box the other day, and it done the exact same thing. It has no problem starting up, just can't give it any gas, starts popping/backfiring. I need some ideas on this damn thing..before I fix it with gas and a match!!

Plug looks good. It's a new plug. Kind of tannish brown color. I'm wondering, if it was carb/fuel related, why would it have just started all of a sudden?

Yup, they were bypassed when I got the bike, but I checked to make sure they were together good. I have pulled the entire wiring harness off, and went thru it completely, testing every wire. No bad or broke wires to be found. This sumbitch has me baffled. It seems as if it's ignition/firing related, but I don't know. The timing is maybe a half-link off. But if it was a timing issue, would it still idle as good as it does?

Back