Warrior Rear Brake Assembly too lose ? (video)

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first off your splines are worn on eithor the rotor hub or axle... or both..... it also lookslike you need to tighten your axle nuts!this should take care of alot of the movement

GREAT VIDEO!!!.... if you tighten your axle nuts a but more you will take alot of tha rotor slop out... your sproket is probably doing the same thing....

as far as the caliper goes your pretty much screwed there as far as i have seen... it looks as though the bushings that are worn ar not replaceable.... i gotta be/ hope im wrong on this so maybe someone else will come along and set us straight

Wield that brake rotor hub onto the axle (that is if the axle splines are bad, if not, then get a new rotor hub....I think I have one too if you want to buy it) and as far as the caliper goes. Play like that is normal. If you get more then an inch in play, then you got problems. They arn't meant to say completely stiff.

Thanks very much for the speedy replies everyone ! I will definitely tighten the main axle nuts. I looked in my clyder warrior manual and can't find any reference to "splines" in the break out diagrams. Are the splines maybe called something else ?

Thx again!

mmmm no... the splines are machined on the axle and machined in the hub.... they probably just dont mention them

deadlast... have you ever seen anyone actually weld that hub on? i would think since everything is soo hard it would be hard to weld... i dont know tho... thats one thing i have never got very good at.....

bomber315 said:
deadlast... have you ever seen anyone actually weld that hub on? i would think since everything is soo hard it would be hard to weld... i dont know tho... thats one thing i have never got very good at.....

Honestly.....I've seen more with it then with out! seem like a good idea. There's no reason why you cant do it that I can think of. It put less strain on the splines for sure and also kinda works as a safe gurad if your axle nuts got loose on yah. I was gunna to it to my stocker axle but then I got the g-force +2 and the splines were brand new so it all sat real tight.

yeah seems like a pretty good fix, i just wasnt sure how well someone could get a good bead on it...

Ok you guys know this question was coming next...how the heck do I get those axle nuts loose ? I do have both of the axle nut tools - but I don't think they have been taken off since 89' ::)

Thx

pb blaster if needed and i would start and see if you could just tighten them... but if you wanna lossen them you can i always use a cheater pipe... just loosen one at a time

Axle nut tools? You mean those dumb things rockymountain sells that are supposed to go on the end of a ratchet or breaker bar? Good luck if that's what you have. The best axle nut tool I ever used was an 18" adjustable wrench. I got mine at harbor freight for about 20 bucks, and it's probably one of the most useful tools i've ever bought, you can even use it for intimidation purposes or bust some skulls with it in a bar fight if need be. (don't ask)

Before you even try to break them loose, get yourself a can of PB Blaster and soak the **** out of it, make sure you spray it a few times and let it work it's way into the threads for a day or 2. Not WD-40, not liquid wrench, they're garbage compared to PB Blaster.

I'd let that soak for a while, give it an hour and try if you want, i'd probably give it a day if I wasn't in a hurry. Have somebody sit on the quad, with their weight on the back of the seat, and holding the brake pedal down to lock the rear end. Then put that wrench on, and get ready to lift with your legs. Mine were so tight stock even on a 5 year old quad that I ended up lifting the rear of the quad off the ground, with my dad sitting on it and he weighs 240. I'm not sure how I managed to do that, i'm not even that big of a guy.

The first time mine was broke loose I ended up using a propane torch to heat the nuts up and then they finally broke loose. I think it was about a week long process by the time I got the wrench and gave up on trying to use a pair of slip joint pliers to turn it, bad idea on my part. Hopefully you can benefit from my mistakes.

yeah those nuts are locked together... meaning the inside one was turned out while the outside one was turned in... they therefore jam together and are tight as hell.. try either tightening only the inside one or try loosing only the outside one and they should free up... of course PB Blaster is always a good idea... you can use heat too but remember there are rubber seals in the carrier... youll probably actually have a to put a TON of heat on it to burn the seals but just a heads up

Wow YamaRider, you nailed it - Rockymtn tools, WD 40, and a breaker bar... Looks like I'm picking up PB Blaster and a big ass wrench after work tonight :)

Thanks again!

Sounds good, that's your best bet. You can try the rocky tool if you want, but from what I've seen and heard they're not good for much except breaking your ratchets and breaker bars.

Back