Warrior/Raptor 350 Oil cooling

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are a few pics of my oil cooler install, since deathshadow's older pics don't seem to be loading anymore. I'll try to get some pics with the hood off sometime.

72dd3a5e5ccde19160494be65e8c3c37.jpg

bb48c37c6982ac511af9124c6d78f79c.jpg

When can u get some with the hood off??

Does anyone know how to do this with a wolverine? my stock cooler is too small, and I wanted to use trans cooler (1007)

I could probably figure it out if I could see the pics on the first page.............

I believe the big bear oil cooler is a little bigger then the wolverine's. That would just hook right into your stock lines. Other then that a aftermarket cooler all you would have to do is get the right size barb fittings on the cooler and tap into the factory connections.

Does this help with the problem, I am having of putting my raptor 350 into reverse after it gets arm? Also I ride in the winter some times, would I have to take the radiator off, and put it back to stock form for the winter?

<table border="1"><tr><td> </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td> </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr><tr><td> </td><td> </td><td> </td></tr></table>

This is my setup. I used the Hayden Transcool radiator that others mentioned. I used muffler strap material to span the frame tubes where I planned to mount the cooler. It attached with zip ties, and came with small foam pads to somewhat protect the mounting points.

I used this setup with the stock grill for a few months. These pictures show the minimal damage incurred from my rough riding. I decided to fabricate the custom grill to expose more of the radiator and try to improve cooling performance. I used old license plates; they were nearly the perfect size, aluminum and pliable. Layered, with some gutter guard in between, the grill is fairly rigid.

I am very pleased with the performance of this cooling setup. For the price, I would recommend this mod to anyone with a YFM.

I hope this is helpful.

Question, the clutch cover method.

Do I just fill the galley with liquid steel in between the 2 holes?
When i drill the upper hole.. the one that is not behind the factory small hole, how deep do I go? I suppose if I had it off the quad I could see, but havent looked yet.
Can Jbweld be used to fill the galley?

has anyone looked at gm/acdelco trans coolers for this they are very tough not bendable like most and im pretty sure a rock could fly off a tire and hit it and not hurt it

b&m makes the samething and you could find pics under there name but the ac delco part is cheaper

Do any of you guys offer drilling and tapping the clutch cover as a service? I don't have a very steady hand or access to a drill press so I don't want to risk ruining the cover.

Do any of you guys offer drilling and tapping the clutch cover as a service? I don't have a very steady hand or access to a drill press so I don't want to risk ruining the cover.
I wouldnt mind doing it for you. Where are you located? PS you dont need a drill press...

Ok guys, I will gladly drill and tap the case for anyone that wants this done.. I will also fill the galley. $30, you pay shipping both ways. [email protected]

I will drill and tap the day received and ship out the next day. If you send the fittings with the case, I will install them for you as well. No extra $ needed. You get it back and bolt it on.

you can see my work at raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=33643.0

Lucked out got a clutch cover for 1.00$ + shipping off ebay so not afraid of screwing things up now.

I wouldn't say that it's FAR superior to the big bear setup, the big bear setup still does what it needs to do fine. I personally trust the big bear setup better myself, mainly due to the fact that it has a bypass valve built into it so that if a line would get pinched and oil flow was blocked, the oil would just bypass the cooler and go straight through the filter like stock. With the clutch cover method, and you get a kink in the line, well you just lost oil flow and you're not gonna find out until it's too late. I just trust yamaha's design more than something that was cobbled up by somebody in their garage. Of course yamaha has had some shitty designs in their time though so maybe that's poor logic to base any kind of a decision on.

In addition, the big bear method makes it much quicker and easier to go back to the stock setup. Once you drilled holes in your clutch cover you'll need to keep that cooler on there or but a new cover if you decide to go back to stock.

ya i agree, ill just do the big bear setup then, i guess Yamaha didn't just throw something together, it was built by an engineer, plus i'm not so sure i want jb weld in my clutch cover, if it comes loose, it would mess something up....

Guys I talked to mickey Dunlap of FST, the idea behind the clutch cover method is the just recently cooled oil goes directly to the crankshaft bearing were it most needed, the bigbear setup has to go through the motor first picking up heat again before it reaches the crank. The bigbear cooling assm, was designed with a 4x4 in mind that would see some hard service and was designed to help cooling overall. It's a mistery as to why Yamaha never put a cooler on the Warrior or for that matter a Raptor 350 from the factory. Use what you want and are comfortable with, I just perfer to use what a racer designed and uses himself and has backed his findings up well.

Guys I talked to mickey Dunlap of FST, the idea behind the clutch cover method is the just recently cooled oil goes directly to the crankshaft bearing were it most needed, the bigbear setup has to go through the motor first picking up heat again before it reaches the crank. The bigbear cooling assm, was designed with a 4x4 in mind that would see some hard service and was designed to help cooling overall. It's a mistery as to why Yamaha never put a cooler on the Warrior or for that matter a Raptor 350 from the factory. Use what you want and are comfortable with, I just perfer to use what a racer designed and uses himself and has backed his findings up well.

Just want to add to your post dave.
The thing here is with the clutch cover method you have cooler oil going to the con-rod bearing and main crankshaft bearings. The things that are known to wear out and can be problem area on the warrior/raptor. Mickey knew that and this is why he went with this and he also tested both..
They both do a great job but IMO, I like the clutch cover method even though I have the bear bear setup. Another plus to this as everyone knows and wishing I could do is the direct shifter from the yzf 250.

Just got done installing my cooler, I used the summit racing kit that you did dave, but I needed an extra length of hose. Also anyone who is hesitant about ruining a clutch cover you can get them dirt cheap on ebay, thats what i did, and it takes away all the stress of ruining your only clutch cover.

0305081743.jpg

Back