Warrior/Raptor 350 Oil cooling

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I did. Thanks for all the help everybody and info here is great. I wanted a really good oil cooler (alot woods riding, plus doing some engine upgrades) so I went with earl's, bar and plate design. It's not the smallest one they make as I actually wanted to mount it up under the front nose and used those measurements but decided that this would be easier and mount would be better. I can't wait to get this bitch back together. This thing is going to rip.
oilcoolerfourwheeler.jpg

Looks good. I definitely wouldn't have drilled holes in the frame though, warrior frames are easy enough to bend without weakening them.

Looks good. I definitely wouldn't have drilled holes in the frame though, warrior frames are easy enough to bend without weakening them.

I'm not worried about that part of the frame and the holes I drilled were very small. This quad has been rolled quite a few times. IMO, the worst part of the frame is where the upper rear A-arm connects to the frame. You can actually see in that picture where frame is bent in that pic (paint is missing). I've been to lazy to take it to our shop and fix it. Other then that the frame is straight.

any pictures of the first install from the big bear way? none of the pictures show up in the first post

Here's a noob/dumbass question...do I need to drain the oil first? Only reason I ask, is because I just put in fresh oil before my last ride (less than 1 hr on since oil change) and since my quad is apart for the rebuild I would put on an oil cooler and adpater. I'm pretty sure I need to, but I was just hoping in the off chance that I wouldn't have to.

If you just prop the bike up on the side so the oil does't run out you'll be fine. You will still have to add about half a quart of oil to compensate for the extra capacity.

Thanks for that. I figured that might be all I need to do, but thought it would be best to ask the experts of YFMCentral first. ;D

would braided steel line woork...and by the way all the pics on the first post of this forum are not showing up.......what do barb fittings look like....any help would be appreciated

Braided steel line will work great, it just has to be the right size. Pretty much any automotive type hose will work as long as they're rated for the pressure and heat we're dealing with. I'm actually using fuel line for mine, it's really the same thing as oil and transmission hose and easier to find.

You'll need a barb fitting similar to this one, different threads and size maybe, but you get the idea...
2692_3lo.jpg

I was getting ready to post a couple pictures of a modification I did to mine yesterday, after I almost toasted my engine last weekend from one of the oil lines getting a puncture. I had less than half a quart of oil left in my engine before i realized I had a problem and shut it off. Much longer and it would have sucked. The hoses are vulnerable down by the adapter because they hang out past the frame for those last 6 inches or so. What I did is get a foot of heater hose from the auto parts store that was a tight fit over my oil lines, and then slip that heater hose over the end of my oil lines as some extra protection. I feel a lot safer with it this way, it should make it a lot harder to get a puncture.

Here's a couple pictures. They're not the best quality because I took them with my phone, but you should be able to see that the first clamp is only over the 3/8 oil hose, and the other one is also around the heater hose.

6f5728052bb8ae9eeff9b12f3f044cdc.jpg

4cf8ccf996f6ab8639f301fdb1fa8695.jpg

wow good idea.......so the barbed's are the peice that fit on the oil cooler..correct???...would you recomend braided steel line....then you dont have to worry about wht you just fixed.....but wht kind of heat am i dealing with so when i go to a store they can help me out???

wow good idea.......so the barbed's are the peice that fit on the oil cooler..correct???...would you recomend braided steel line....then you dont have to worry about wht you just fixed.....but wht kind of heat am i dealing with so when i go to a store they can help me out???

The barbs are what screw into the big bear adapter cap, then your hose slips over the barb. Most coolers have the barbs built in already.

Braided steel line may help, but I wouldn't trust it as much as what I did. My line was damaged right at the end of the barb, making me think that the line was pinched or crushed against it by something I ran over, not actally a sharp stick or something jabbing through it.

When you go to the store, just tell them you need oil hose and they should be able to figure out what you need.

Wouldn't a sid plate and some nerfs help protect those lines as well? I have the Pro-Aluminum skid and PRM side bars on mine and they look like they would keep just about anything from getting to the lines. Course I gotta get the bike back up and running in order to find out. Almost done with it though. ;D YAY!

Wouldn't a sid plate and some nerfs help protect those lines as well? I have the Pro-Aluminum skid and PRM side bars on mine and they look like they would keep just about anything from getting to the lines. Course I gotta get the bike back up and running in order to find out. Almost done with it though. ;D YAY!

I have an AC skid and DG nerfs. Neither offer any protection to where those oil lines are really vulnerable. Those prm side bars may make more of a difference since they have hard floorboards, but regular nerf nets don't offer any real protection (as can be seen in the pics I posted.)

Here are a few pics of my oil cooler install, since deathshadow's older pics don't seem to be loading anymore. I'll try to get some pics with the hood off sometime.

72dd3a5e5ccde19160494be65e8c3c37.jpg

bb48c37c6982ac511af9124c6d78f79c.jpg

anyone ever get water into the oil from the Big Bear set up?? I was thinking of putting one on my bike, but I do a lot of stream crossing and mud holes. Yamarider's recent incedent definatley has me thinking of just not getting one now too.

anyone ever get water into the oil from the Big Bear set up?? I was thinking of putting one on my bike, but I do a lot of stream crossing and mud holes. Yamarider's recent incedent definatley has me thinking of just not getting one now too.

It would be impossible for water to get in from this setup. Even if there was a leak, fast or slow, oil lines are pressurized. So water would never be able to get in, because the oil would be coming out.

I don't know how that would happen. If you cut either line oil will be coming out allowing no water to come in... It's a closed loop system.

[quote:do6uuyxk]anyone ever get water into the oil from the Big Bear set up?? I was thinking of putting one on my bike, but I do a lot of stream crossing and mud holes. Yamarider's recent incedent definatley has me thinking of just not getting one now too.

It would be impossible for water to get in from this setup. Even if there was a leak, fast or slow, oil lines are pressurized. So water would never be able to get in, because the oil would be coming out.[/quote:do6uuyxk]
Which isnt much better..lol.

Back