Warrior hard starting

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howie099

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Warrior that is terrible to get started and you can not start it up after it is warm. I have an Edelbrock carb that is brand new. I thought this would help my issues but it does not. Does not matter what I adjust on it. It will not start after it is warm and it is very hard to start cold. This is what I have new on the machine..New CDI, new Voltage regulator, and new stator assembly. I do have spark, changed plugs, I am getting gas. It will not even start with starting fulid after it is warm. It always acts like it wants to start by sputtering but that is it. I found other threads with a few people with the same thing and the only thing they mentioned was maybe the valves need adjusting or a stuck valve. Could this be my issue? I am going to do a compression check and check the valves tonight to see where I am at. I could use some help here is anyone has any ideas on what to check because this has been issue for like 6 months now.

Thanks

Sounds like you're on the right track checking the compression and valves. This isn't a real easy kind of thing to troubleshoot over the internet. The more info you give though, the better we can help. Like what happened that it started running bad? Did it happen after it was washed, during riding, after it sat a while, after someone mistakably thought it was a submarine and waterlocked it in the lake, etc.

The valves were a little tight and I adjusted them to the factory specs. I was going to compression test it but I have the wrong spark plug adapter it only fits my PWC so I will go find another adapter. It starts right up if you push start it. I have a new battery, battery cables and high torque starter I am going to install. I acts just like a car that has a bad battery, cables or weak starter. I think it is not spinning fast enough to start. I starts right away by pushing it.

Maybe I missed this but did you replace the coil? I've found when they get hot that the windings can open and then you get no spark.

Back