Warrior clicks when i try to start it

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbkbadboy

Reaction score
I just got this 01 Yamaha Warrior from a friend of mine. The battery was dead when i got it and it needed some work. Today i brought it to a shop. The guy said he checked the oil and there was no oil in it, and then he added some oil and tried to jump the battery. Whenever he tried to start the bike up, it doesnt start, it just keeps clicking. He said its the crank bearing and i'll need a new motor, any advise?? i'm just making sure that could be the problem and he is not just trying to make some money off of me since he is gonna be the one fixing it

Personally the guy doesn't know jack **** from what your tell me.
well it could be a loose connection between the battery and the frame or battery and the terminal. Also bad wire, bad switch or starting relay. I would go straight to the starter with the charger or jumpers and see if it will turn over that way. This will elimate all electrical problems inbetween the starter and the battery.
The relay is clicking because there isn't enough amperage to keep the contacts closed or because the relay contacts are ****.

thanks,

i had a feeling that didnt sound right, would it still be able to run at least if the crank bearing was bad?

Another thing the electric starter button wasnt working at all so he run jumper cables to the battery had only been on the machine for about 10 minutes with a 2amp charge besides the fact the battery was a bad battery to begine with and the starter silenoid and thats when it just kept clicking

I'd say put a fresh battery on there first and then go over the wiring to make sure your connections are good.

The advise so far is good. Trying to deal with various issues while dealing with a bad battery is a good lesson in futility.

As far as the crank bearings go -pull the plug and the cover on the left side of engine. Put a wrench on the bolt and see if motor turns.

Have you talked to your friend? When was the last tme it ran?

The friend had the bike and said it turned over but he couldnt get it to run. The other day i started messing with the bike, i think something is wrong with the wiring or something on the bike, the electric starter switch doesnt work so far the only light i got to come on was the headlights, the neutral and reverse light didnt come on either. so im just looking for an alternate way to start it, i didnt see a pull string or anything, this is my first fourwheeler so im pretty new to some of this stuff

first, i apologize for the long post. got a lot to cover here. what you should do is basically what jasonp said. i would recommend getting a clymer manual and look at the wiring diagrams and follow the starting system. start at the battery and test it. i would think that autozone could test it for you to see if it is still good or not. if you have a multimeter (voltmeter, the thing that tells you the voltage of a battery) then check the battery. it should be around 12 volts. if it is lower than that then the battery needs to be charged. use an appropriate charger and leave it on for the recommended time. 10 minutes will not do it. do a low amp charge overnight. if it starts after that let it run for a while or ride it around to let the stator start charging it (so long as all of the fluids are good, especially oil!) also check the fluid levels in the battery. if they are lower than the line that is on the battery you need to fill it. use DISTILLED water only! DO NOT use tap water. it has minerals in it that will build up on the plates in the battery and mess it up. if that doesnt work, follow the system up. check your terminals on the battery to see if there is corrosion. clean them up and keep moving forward. check the relay. check wires to see if there are possible shorts or if connections have been mixed up. the motor would probably still turn over and run if the crank bearings were shot. i shredded my bearings in my crank and rod because i was (unknowingly) running without oil in the crankcase. if the bearings are shot you will probably hear it, especially if the rod bearings are screwed. if you hear a fast metallic "chunking" sound then that is probably your piston hitting the head and you have yourself a home-made stroker! the same thing happened to me. talk to your friend and make sure the motor wasnt fried when you got it from him. if there was no oil in the crankcase when you took it in then there is a good chance there was no oil in it when you got it from him. check your oil often, as in before and after every ride. it is the "life blood" of your quad. without oil things go bad really fast! also, look into this "mechanic" you took it to more. ask how much experience he has and how many warriors he has worked on. dont let someone screw you over because they know (or think) you dont know very little (or anything) about motors. its also a good idea to take a good friend with you that knows motors so he can let you know if the guy is blowing smoke up your ass! im lucky to have a mechanic that i know well (him and his wife own the shop) so i know i wont get screwed. well, good luck and let us know what you find out and if you need any more help.

thanks for the info. Update, I went over today and got the electric start and everything working, and i got it to turn over. I can tell the starter sileniod is bad but it does turn over, it sound like it wants to start but it doesnt. the guy who was orignially supposed to fix it still insists that its the crank bearing because when they tried to start it up with a jump starter it just kept clicking. Its funny how he says that because, i bought a new battery and put it in fully charged and it doesnt make that clicking sound anymore, i told him it was because his jump box probably was low but he still insists that its the crank bearing. It seems to be turning over really well but it just doesnt wanna run

yeah i would probably ask him how much he charges an hour for labor. then you will probably find out why he says its a crank bearings. lol tearing down the motor and replacing the crank bearings would take more time than just troubleshooting the wiring and while he was in the motor he could also start "recommending" other things you should do while it is open. then again, he may be a trustworthy guy who really thinks its the crank bearings and is just wrong. either way, if he keeps insisting its the crank bearings, like jasonp said, the guy doesn't know jack ****. i dont know everything about motors, but i do know people and mechanics. some people will just try to take advantage of others to make money. try to stay away from these people at all costs.

I had something like this happening to mine and mine was electrical. I know you went over this and for the most part, it turns out to be not what my issue was. But, one of the local shops near my house had a rep for trying to get over people, I say HAD because they are now out of business. But mine was one of the relays on the back on the left side of the seat. They wanted to pull my motor apart, and a whole bunch of other stuff...

Just take your time, work over your systems one by one, and though it will take some time. It will save you a ton of money, you'll get to know your machine a little better, and at the same time you may be able to locate some other things that may become an issue in the near future (such as wires rubbing and showing wear).

Good luck man, I hope your able to get it figured out in a timely fashion.
~Bill

Check out the service manual if you already haven't. It has step-by-step instructions on how to check the whole ignition system. From the battery to the plug, and everything in between.

check ur selinoid try to jump it with a screwdriver

He is getting some power or it wouldnt' be clicking. Sounds like it's just not enough juice to turn it. Cars do the same thing. If a battery don't have enough amps it will just click.

Back