Vito's degree key?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahapower

Reaction score
i have a 2000 warrior with a white bros. e series pipe,k/n airfilter and its jetted and im thinking about getting a vitos degree key but im not sure it will give me a noticable difference it claims a 2hp gain i was just looking for other peoples opinion

It's a new flywheel key with a 2 to 3 degree offset which advances your timing. If you're on a stock cam i wouldn't bother with it. Dave and Jason have done EXTENSIVE testing with cams and advance, one of them will post up i'm sure.

so with a stock cam its not going to make much/any difference do you know of any other fairly cheap mods i could do a good a decent gain ? thanks for you replies

Is your K&N a drop in or the clamp on type? if it's the drop in one, you can cut the lid of your airbox to allow more air in. When you say "cheap" what do you mean? Cause to me 150 bucks on a new Wiseco 10.25:1 with a bore and hone was a "cheap" mod that made a nice difference....

well its like a pod type clamp on one and i tried takin the lid off but didnt really notice a diffence

also the motor needs rebuilt so i plan on doing that this winter it smokes a little bit in the upper rpm range with that piston could you run regular gas and did u have to take it somewere to get it done?

To get it bored and honed you have to take it someplace. I can hone cylinders i just cant bore them. If you have any mechanical skills and a manual you could prolly rebuild to top end of the motor.

is 150 for the piston and having the motor bored and honed or is that just the piston

It's a new flywheel key with a 2 to 3 degree offset which advances your timing. If you're on a stock cam i wouldn't bother with it. Dave and Jason have done EXTENSIVE testing with cams and advance, one of them will post up i'm sure.

Advances the ignition timing 4 degrees at all rpm points. Cam timing adjustment is done by an adjustable cam sproket.
I've try it on my fourwheeler and I found that it advanced the timing to much at idle and low midrange. On a stock based machine, with stock compression it may work better. I wrote a review up. Also you have to have a flywheel puller to do this.

On this engine, its generally not a good idea to advance the timing when using any high-CR setup.

All the engine does is end up fighting itself at the tail end of the compression stroke, and you'll lose power.... and eventually break something ;)

Stock CR with pump gas should be fine, but personally I dont think its worth it.

okay thank you very much for all your help and the fast replies i have alot better idea of what i want to do with it now

On this engine, its generally not a good idea to advance the timing when using any high-CR setup.

All the engine does is end up fighting itself at the tail end of the compression stroke, and you'll lose power.... and eventually break something ;)

Stock CR with pump gas should be fine, but personally I dont think its worth it.

the tail end of the compression stroke. How so, please explain?

Heh... Where/when does a spark plug normally fire on a 4-stroke engine in relation to TDC?

???
advanceing the timing is a problem with too much heat and causing pre-detanation because its an air cooled engine

Heh... Where/when does a spark plug normally fire on a 4-stroke engine in relation to TDC?

depends on the rpm... at 5000 rpm the warrior as fired the plug 33 degrees before top dead center.

[quote:q1ksm4n2]Heh... Where/when does a spark plug normally fire on a 4-stroke engine in relation to TDC?

depends on the rpm... at 5000 rpm the warrior as fired the plug 33 degrees before top dead center.[/quote:q1ksm4n2]

Well regardless of what rpm, youre correct, it fires before TDC (which is my point)... and thats technically during what stroke?

If you fire "too early", what is left of the explosion (via combustion of air/fuel) by the end of that stroke? And conversely, by firing too early, the explosion that did occur early is doing what to the piston?

[quote:d1x44mtx]

depends on the rpm... at 5000 rpm the warrior as fired the plug 33 degrees before top dead center.

Well regardless of what rpm, youre correct, it fires before TDC (which is my point)... and thats technically during what stroke?

If you fire "too early", what is left of the explosion (via combustion of air/fuel) by the end of that stroke? And conversely, by firing too early, the explosion that did occur early is doing what to the piston?[/quote:d1x44mtx]

Technically? Well the engine would be on the compression stroke going on power. What is your point?
Ah, I see the light now, after re reading the entire thread I now see what your trying to say. :)

Hehe.....

You got it :D

For those missing it:

That early detonation not only leaves "less" for the following stroke (combustion stroke), but it also has the net effect of trying to push the piston DOWN while its trying to go UP during the compression stroke.

Back