Valve work needed?

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukacola

Reaction score
This thread describes the problems I've had. http://www.yfm350.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28907

My buddy came over earlier and nothing else is working. Took apart the carb and it's perfect.

He thinks that a valve adjustment will fix it. It's probably never been done on this bike as far as I know.

He says he can do it in about 2 hours. He says I don't need new valves, but they're like $40 on ebay.

I know absolutely nothing about valve work except it's a ton of work.

Any opinions? He says he hears a loud ticking, but I don't really hear it. I'm used to the sound of my own quad and it doesn't sound weird to me.

It's probley the timing chain, so take a look at how far your tensioner is out by taking out the spring then removing the tensioner. If its all the way out replace it. If that's not it, a valve adjustment on these engines is really easy. Should take less than an hour. But set them both at .04 instead of what the manual states, cuts down on the ticking. Loc tite the lock nut, any your good to go for a long while.

It's probley the timing chain, so take a look at how far your tensioner is out by taking out the spring then removing the tensioner. If its all the way out replace it. If that's not it, a valve adjustment on these engines is really easy. Should take less than an hour. But set them both at .04 instead of what the manual states, cuts down on the ticking. Loc tite the lock nut, any your good to go for a long while.

Well like I said I don't know much about engine work except for basics. This guy's been working on carburated engines a long time (about 20 years). I guess when all the parts come off we can work it out. I will mention the .04 to him. He'll probably say not to do it. He can be stubborn, but he's the only mechanic that can work on these things reliably in town at reasonable price.

I want to take it apart once and be good to go for a while! I hate always having to do things twice.

Anything else that can be done while we're in there?

EDIT: That timing chain for my bike is out of stock on Ebay. Would another model work?

Last edited:
Same as a warrior dude.
You can have him to the timing chain, thats but That other stuff is easy do it yourself!
All you gotta do is pull off the plastics and remove the valve covers on the head, the valve adjustment bolts are right under them. Use a feeler gauge to set them, tighten the lock nut, throw er back together and ride hard!
These engines are known to tick very loud, unless you upgrade to HD kibble white springs.

Last edited:
Cool, he's coming out this week to do the valve work. I changed the fuel filter, sprayed a little carb cleaner in the intake, put seafoam into the fuel, no change of course!

Will update later in the week.

Thanks Alex

Back