Valve Springs

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neverdone

Reaction score
So I generally consider myself to be a fairly competent individual, but this has me thrown for a loop.

I have tried 2 different compressors, a big C-Clamp version, and a compressor that pulls the spring up while pushing the top down. I can not get the spring loose to be able to drop the valves. So my question is, how do you guys get your springs off so you can put in do valve seals or lap the valves?

I just got my new piston and my jug back from being bored. I don't want to half ass the rest and would like to get it all done right but with out this step I can't finish. So how do you guys do yours? Do I need to take it to a shop to be done or what?

Thanks

Sounds all too familiar. Had me muttering a lot of WTF's, too...

I made an adapter for my C-clamp style, replacing the end that goes on the valve retainer with a piece of vertical 1" square tubing (notched with a grinder to get to the locks) welded to a plate that screws to the clamp.

My valve stems and guides were OK, but the margins were beat into the seats. Factory intake valve job was really poorly done, so I refaced them both with a Neway hand cutter. Found new valves for something like only $25/pair on ebay. They were Shindy brand but had OE markings on the heads.

Last edited:
Kind of figured it was going to take some sort of custom made tool.....

Guess I will look into doing something like that tomorrow. The unfortunate thing about this is that the clamp style compressor I was using is not mine, and I don't think my buddy would be all to happy with me modifying his....

I wonder if I could come up with some sort of method to use a C-Clamp and an adapter like you are talking about, and tighten it down with that? I would really hate to take it to a shop have them take them out so I can do a valve job then have them put them back together. The valves themselves still seem to be sealing OK but I am just wondering how the seals are. I don't want to put it all back together and still be getting blow by.

Mine sealed fine too, but I'm glad I looked at them anyways.

My compressor (the retainer end) fingers screw onto the C-clamp part, so the adapter is interchangeable. No harm to the main tool itself.
Maybe yours is too?

Back