Valve nut fell off while riding

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lieuht

Reaction score
Went riding last weekend and all of a sudden the valves started chattering. Pulled the cover off and sure enough the nut fell off on the intake side. Ive had all sorts of people tell me where it could be. It looks like it could have made it over to the timing chain because its scarred up on the inside but i dont know if thats new or not i just got the bike a month ago. Kinda hoping its sitting in the bottom of the motor but i drained the oil and nothing. It could still be in there i just didnt get it i dunno. Any help would be great

Last edited:
Went riding last weekend and all of a sudden the valves started chattering. Pulled the cover off and sure enough the nut fell off on the intake side. Ive had all sorts of people tell me where it could be. It looks like it could have made it over to the timing chain because its scarred up on the inside but i dont know if thats new or not i just got the bike a month ago. Kinda hoping its sitting in the bottom of the motor but i drained the oil and nothing. It could still be in there i just didnt get it i dunno. Any help would be great

Well pull your fly wheel and see if its down there now if you dont find it there your going to have to pull it all apart and find it..

There's no way for it to exit the head. Look to the left of the valve I guarantee its stuck in front of the oil passageway there.

It is a pretty big nut if it went through one of the passageways it just barely fit. I pulled the stator cover and it didnt catch on the magnet but it does look like it has a small scar in there right behind the timing chain. Gonna stick a pen magnet down in the bottom and around the oil drain plug and see if i can pick it up. If not gonna take the head off.

I would be pulling the head off anyways to make sure nothing else happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i got another head i was looking at and i took the cam sprocket off and it does look like there is not a opening big enough for the nut to get over into the timing chain. Was really hoping i didnt have to take the head off i planned a big weekend riding with my family if i can find it with a pen magnet im going to just put it on and take it easy if i cant then i just wont be riding i guess

Went and bought a special 20$ bendable magnet wand and everything went all through the head, flywheel and around the drain plug incase it missed it on the oil drain and nothing. Im thinking its stuck right underneath the cam cause my magnet cant really get down into there. Im just pulling the head im tired of screwing around with it

:argh:

Just pull the cam. Far easier, and can save yourself a lot of trouble. Remember to stuff rags in the cam chain passageway so nothing falls into the bottom end.

Well i pulled the the timing chain sprocket with the chain attached off i know i would need to take the sprocket off and mark tdc but ive never taken the cam itself out. I see it has a few bolts holding it in do i just pop those off and it slides out? Just to be on the safe side im gonna pull the cam in one of my blown motors first.

That's about it. Two 10mm head bolts and the lock washer + cam retainer will come out, then the cam. Make sure the cam lobes are facing down (cam at TDC). You also need to remove the timing chain tensioner and reset it before trying to install the cam sprocket and chain.

Ugh! Took the cam out and nothing. This one little bolt is making me lose my mind the farther i go the more i wonder if i even put it on. So i figured i would take a chance and fish around the drainplug with a bendy magnet and this washer was just floating around in there....seriously. Now i know why the bike came with a blown motor. still looking for the long lost nut

:argh::argh: :argh:

Last edited:
check by the exhaust rocker arm.mine did the same thing and when I pulled the cover for the exhaust rocker it was sitting right there.

Seen that too^^^^. If it did make it into the bottom end, it could be stuck to the flywheel. Flywheel is magnetic.

Ditto^^^. I knew it when I saw it. And it's intact. Means someone probably had the cases apart and let it drop off a shaft.

Ya it seems like the more i dig the more problems im finding. Couldent find the nut so im thinking it was never there to begin with. I took the head off clutch cover, stator cover, and timing chain cover off and nothing. Put oil in it 3 times and drained it and had a magnet in there...nothing. So i put it all together with a nut off my parts motor and went riding over the weekend. Bike ran good didnt hear no odd noises like a nut going through gears. Still having a problem with my valves i adjusted them and they still knock pretty good. Could the rocker arm be bent? I think i adjusted the valves at .09mm intake and .18mm exhaust, that sound about right?

Ya it seems like the more i dig the more problems im finding. Couldent find the nut so im thinking it was never there to begin with. I took the head off clutch cover, stator cover, and timing chain cover off and nothing. Put oil in it 3 times and drained it and had a magnet in there...nothing. So i put it all together with a nut off my parts motor and went riding over the weekend. Bike ran good didnt hear no odd noises like a nut going through gears. Still having a problem with my valves i adjusted them and they still knock pretty good. Could the rocker arm be bent? I think i adjusted the valves at .09mm intake and .18mm exhaust, that sound about right?

16-20 on the exhaust, 6-10 m on the intake valve

Back