Valve Noise

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonS

Reaction score
Looking for input from fellas who have had their heads built. For example: cam, HD springs, a/m valves, port work, etc.

When I built this Warrior engine to 366 it was very new to me and I reckon that I just didn't know what to listen for having the new setup. I have always gone by what I've read here about noisy valves, accrediting the noise to them just being 2 large valves and it being normal.

How much noise is too much noise though?

Let me start by saying I bought the head already fully built from a member on here. It's got porting, hd springs, looks to be stock valves, and I'm running the Stage 1 HC. I have everything set in spec according to my Clymer manual and instructions per Hot Cams recommendation for my S1HC. The thing is though it sounds like I have an exhaust leak from the header, which I don't as it has a new doughnut gasket along with high temp silicon to seal it. It is just way too noisy for my liking though, like way more than it was before I had the cam bearing failure.

Nothing was wrong with the head at all upon inspection. I removed all shrapnel and cleaned it out good. The springs looked great, the rockers were fine, and the cam lobes were still smooth. The head gasket is new and I have the head bolts torqued to spec as well.

I just don't understand why it is more noisy now that I have put it back together. :argh: Could it just be that the cylinder head is tired and in need of a refresh? Maybe I just got used to those 2 smokes and just forgot how loud it actually was?

I am going to try to post an older HQ video of it and compare with a HQ video that I'm getting ready to make. I will report back with both here in a few minutes. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I have no sound on this shop computer. Have you tried to look for an exhaust leak? Btw, hotcams valve lash spec is huge, imo. I set mine at .004" and it's not too bad. Have you rehecked the valve lash sfter running it?

Haven't checked the lash yet. I have it set at .13 and .15 on the valves though. Will recheck though. Are you using .004 on both valves?

Last edited:
Jasonp has found that hc run fine with the stock lash settings.87warrior917 has a stage 1 and I'm pretty sure that's how he's running his also from jasonp's advice. And as most of us know Scott is not babying his at all.

Jasonp has found that hc run fine with the stock lash settings.87warrior917 has a stage 1 and I'm pretty sure that's how he's running his also from jasonp's advice. And as most of us know Scott is not babying his at all.

on that note and just because i'm not close to my book, what would the stock lash be? i can't remember.

.006 and .008 i believe

can anyone confirm this real quick for me?

edit: i think i found what i was looking for after making this post...

4-6 on the intake and 6-8 on the exhaust

going to go with bones suggestion though since my feeler gauge doesn't go any less than .006 lol

Last edited:
Okay, got the valves re-adjusted to stockish specs. I immediately noticed it was a little quieter. Noticed more response too.

New vid after adjustment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkZ0B0L2MU

Why the hell would HC recommend a valve clearance that's so out of whack?

Last edited:
getting better but i'd pick up some smaller feelers and try other side of those numbers .004 and .006 and see if it get better yet

Haven't checked the lash yet. I have it set at .13 and .15 on the valves though. Will recheck though. Are you using .004 on both valves?

WTF? Really? That's a huge gap, no wonder why it was so loud. Yet just one more reason as to why I don't like Hotcams.

On the two aftermarket cams that I have owned, both well over stock numbers, both of them had lash that was near to the stock setting thou.

WTF? Really? That's a huge gap, no wonder why it was so loud. Yet just one more reason as to why I don't like Hotcams.

On the two aftermarket cams that I have owned, both well over stock numbers, both of them had lash that was near to the stock setting thou.

Those numbers I was using were straight from the little paper info slip included with the cam in the box. I dunno why I never thought about it. Guess I've not been getting the power I thought was there either.

Those numbers I was using were straight from the little paper info slip included with the cam in the box. I dunno why I never thought about it. Guess I've not been getting the power I thought was there either.

Hey man, you were just following direction, its hotcams weird ass mistake/regulations. Its what they have on there website too. http://www.hotcamsinc.com/ProductInfo.aspx?item_id=555

I bet this has something to do with the fact that you can use stock springs with them......and why your noise was so loud, with that gap and the HD springs, that cam was really getting slapped into contact.

yeah it's a wonder nothing was wrong with the cam i suppose. i may or may not try the tighter clearance that bones suggested because my adjustment earlier made it quieten down considerably. makes me feel better, but kind of dumb too since i really didn't pickup on the stock vs hc specs.

I would try the .004 and .006 Hell if Pat is running his HC at .004 & .004 then you shouldn't have anything to worry about

ya i had some good noise coming out of my valves to for awhile (maybe you remember my postes about it) but I called the Spoken One and thats what he told me and BOOM! alot quiter then it was it still makes noise but they never stop.

ya i had some good noise coming out of my valves to for awhile (maybe you remember my postes about it) but I called the Spoken One and thats what he told me and BOOM! alot quiter then it was it still makes noise but they never stop.

And who may I ask is the spoken one? Lol

Back