Upgrades

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snafer100

Reaction score
Ok I am tired of searching thru all the threads, I have a 06 rappy 350. I just got HMF exhaust, k and N kit and jetting getting done. Now my question is, where should I go from here to make more power? I will not bore this engine yet... Theres less then 30 hours total on this machine. My goal is to run with or spank the z400 series. Thx Ken

cam and piston (stock bore) get heavy duty valve springs to go with the cam, anything after that (port job, etc) you will need a machine shop. or you could just get a stroker kit for it. that would be the best for power, but also is the most expensive. not sure if they make a stroker kit for the stock bore?

Pipe, filter, and jets generally get you on par with the 400s, so you should't be too bad there. I wouldn't expect a stock 400 to run away from you once you have those done. Of course if they add a pipe or anything else you're back to square one. One thing I'd do is go up one tooth on the front sprocket. With the same mods you have it was probably the best thing I've done to mine. I have no idea why they didn't gear them that way from the factory. I know I didn't tell you any way to make more power, but you should be right about there with what you have now.

I havent gotten all the work done yet, but once ill do my best friend has a kfx 400, well see how it stands.

Well something like the Z400 is going to be hard to beat, I believe they got around 30 hp and it's going to take more then a pipe and air filter to do it. You'll have to get a high compression piston and high rev cam to get up with him and take him.

Well something like the Z400 is going to be hard to beat, I believe they got around 30 hp and it's going to take more then a pipe and air filter to do it. You'll have to get a high compression piston and high rev cam to get up with him and take him.
yeah the z would still beat you in a drag. but in the woods or just out crusin a pipe ,filter and jet should let you hang with them.

ok, if i were to get a high comp piston, say the 10.25/1 what could i expect in gains, compared to the web 430 lift cam gains, anyone have any raw data? i dont wanna do all the work at once, basically i am looking for the most bang for the buck at this point, thx ken

ok, if i were to get a high comp piston, say the 10.25/1 what could i expect in gains, compared to the web 430 lift cam gains, anyone have any raw data? i dont wanna do all the work at once, basically i am looking for the most bang for the buck at this point, thx ken

Cam and piston will yeld you about 35% gain as powroll states or 3 to 5 hp alba claims. You pretty much did what you could for bang for the buck now you have to dig deeper.

Damn i can wait to get mine all up. Got another engine with wiseco piston .20 over bore and 10:25.1 compression, a web cam race cam .430 lift, kibblewhite race springs, pro designs foam filter, and hmf pipe, and soon to be a edlebrock carb. None of that is on, just sitting around my house, just waiting to get an edel before i put it all together, riding stock with an 18 year old engine is pissing me off. Ill tell you how it goes when i get some money for the edel.

the stock raptor 350 has a nice wide powerband pulls strong from idle to 7500 rpm, so I would not do anything with the valves or cam unless you install a stroker crank and I wouldnt get a stroker unless you stock crank lets go, I would only open up the exhaust and intake kit, dyno jet kit, and a stock bore wiseco piston, one tooth bigger on the front sprocket, a set of 400 ex front shocks work well on the raptor 350 you just have to redrill and cut some of the upper mount, get the 1.5" front wheel spacers, raise the handlebars mounts 2" and cut 3/4" off the end of the bars, these are nice easy simple mods. I did to my 350 raptor that make handle and run much better, I have 88 warrior that I put a 4mm stroker crank, 1mm bigger 10 to 1 piston, bigger cam, ported head, 400ex 38mm carb, airbox mod. z400 front shocks, this is just a short list what I did to the old warrior, I had the old warrior for 15years and I have more money than cents in the old warrior, be smart and keep you Raptor mods. simple, there is only so fast you can go on dirt trail or woods trail and the raptor 350 can go plenty fast

Well I kinda disagree with the cam thing, for one a stock rappy or Warrior would benifit from just the addition of better aftermarket valve springs as the stockers are weak as hell, if you use your head right and the get the right cam that suits your riding style you will be able to make more power at an RPM where you can use it better.

I wanna see pics of the 400ex shocks on it. They're a good bit longer than stock. Not saying they won't bolt in with a little persuasion, but it's gonna sit higher and the front end will be all out of whack.

the 400ex shocks are 1.5" longer, you have to cut the upper mount at the bolt holes with a chopoff wheel then the shocks will sit about 1" higher in the mounts then redrill. They work real nice and they will give you more travel, I think I bought on ebay for under $50

those 400ex shocks are longer than the raptor ones...plus personnally I would'nt mess around drilling my shocks mounts...look so unsafe...plus it would probably make the bike handle like ****...same thing for his warrior with z400 shocks it would'nt fit without mod...just get good banshee shocks....I also have to disagree with the wheel spacer I would prefer reversing my rims than getting those rats traps....it's cheaper and in my opinion Safer....and I also have to agree with Dave on that one just switching to good aftermarket valves springs would make a good difference because the warrior/raptor valve springs make the valves float at high rpm making it a kind of rev limiter...

I found reversing the rims gave it a lot of bump steer and you have to take tire off rim, cut and plug or reverse both valve stems, the 1.5"spacer gives you a lot less bump steer and Im 220lb and never broke them, I never tried banshee shocks they may work better but I think 400ex would be a better upgrade, my warrior I had to fabricate new upper shock mounts to fit the z400 shocks the raptor I just drilled upper shock mount, I never tried after market valve springs yet I never wanted to push much past 7000rpm, if you dont have a valve spring tool I made one with a c-clamp and 1" angle, I been working and racing cars, boats motorcyles and atv's for 35 years do all my own work, I have access to mig, tig, stick welders, plasma cutters, chop off, mill, lathe, press, die griders, benders, I tried a lot of mods. made a lot of my own parts and tools to make it faster and better.

I had Banshee shocks and 2x3 offset front rims, I weight 185 and it rode real nice, the rbound rate is way better set then a Warrior, remember were dealing with stocks shocks here, I will never want to ride again on stock shocks after going aftermarket.

As for the springs and RPM, our member Jasonp put a Dyna FS box on his Warrior and revs that bitch to 11,000 RPM, he also has good springs a good cam and a JE 10.5 piston. He seems to have gotten the most out of a stock stroke motor out of any one on the site.

I would have to agree with dave saying just going with a different cam would help.. as long as you don't go to big with the stock compression. That leaves you with two options. Megacycle 252-x2 mid-range, which in my opinion is better for a stock compression motor as it will bleed off less dynamic compression so it won't hurt the low-end as much as the Web .390".
If going with a higher compression piston then for sure go with a bigger cam.. That would be the biggest limiting factor. (Cam)
Going with a bigger bore piston ups the compression because your trying to squeeze more air in a tighter space then the standard bore same high compression piston, also you gain displacement.
I would never cut and move the shock mounts, as this effects suspension geometry, thus effecting how the front suspension works. Also could be very dangous.
Stock Raptor or Warrior makes peak HP around 7,000-7,500 rpm. With a High Rev cam I can see you turning 11,000 rpm and making peak HP at 9,500. That how you get a stock stroke motor to make it's power.

Back