underwater warrior

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munt

Reaction score
1999 model, landed in "pond" for short story.
  • changed oil twice[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
  • full carb clean & dry[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
  • intake clean & dry
    • [/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
    • tried oem cdi (no different)[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
    • has spark @ plug[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
    • motor turns (no audible noises)[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
    • fuse o.k.[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]
    • cranks but no starting action[/*:m:g2vkh5rr]

what needs to happen to get my beast running again?

thanks

i don't think the fuel was comprimised,
as far as a compression check...how could i tell?
thinking my volt meter come in handy though....
just not sure where to start

you should definately put fresh gas in it! a quick way to check compression without a guage is to pull the spark plug and put your finger over the plug hole. now hit the start button, and if your finger gets blown off the hole you get good compression. the only was to get your actual compression is to get a compression guage.

A few thoughts - how long was it under? If you have good spark, try a shot of ether. If it fires, then it is carb. Did the airfilter take on water? May want to try starting with it off. Did you stand it up on the rear tires? Need to drain the exhaust first thing

(ya, been there done that - Warriors float quite well upsidedown -- its actually the better position. Water cant enter the oil breather that way)

this happend to my uncle..he had to take the carb off tip the bike up in the grab bar and let the water drain out of the motor he then took the head pipe off and propped the bike up on its nose

this actually happened about 2 mos ago.....
tried most of the cleaning-drying so far
gimme a few days to try a few ideas
thanks to the board for the input!

we have compression! did the finger over spark plug hole trick...it blew off, next is new gas

and as retarted as it sounds try pulling it behind a truck or something and pop start it. a friend of mine had the same thing happen. it would turn over but it wouldnt start. so we were like ah the hell with it lets give it a try. it worked the first time we did it. it ran like **** for about 5 minutes so we got on the gas alot and now it starts like a wet dream.

yeah i still cant figure it out, i live on a hill so we'll give it a shot!!!

you may want to try with a truck cuz when you get to the bottom of the hill and it dont start have fun getting back up and with a truck or even another quad its more of a constant speed

I know you said you cleaned the carb but also make sure you open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb and get the bowel completely empty. On my boys quad I couldn't get it started either after multiple oil changes and carb cleanings until I hit it with ether. Took a few times but once the ether got it coughing it slowly and I mean slowly started to run.

ok this stupid pos isnt going to run....i put gas down the carb from the top and turned it over and smoke came out of the crankcase vent, maybe the compression isnt that good after all

the way it went down was at Deepwater (no pun intended), it had rained and i didn't have another weekend to ride at the time so i went.
Near the end of the day (my day esp.) we had ran along a large pit the sides were stable enough for my buddys rappy to make it ok and i never had a second thought, so as i was traversing the edge my rear wheels slipped and gave way sliding down into said pit. it was so slick that the rest slid down while i was pushing......next thing i realized was the water was much deeper than anyone thought..(3' deep) and i saw my crankcase vent go under...then my modded airbox filling up. stopped running at this point, now heres where i think the trouble started....i was pulled out and tried to get it to fire while being pulled...yeah it turned over and i shut it down never to start again.
maybe the pressure was too much and the rings gave????

In situations like that, I'll pull the engine outta the frame.

I dont split the cases, but I do pull the head and jug(s) off, as well as all the case covers and pan cover. From there I empty and clean everything possible, inspect the rings and piston(s), etc.

If the rings arent physically broken they'll be fine. Its possible one broke depending how much water got in on what stroke (water isnt compressible).

The piston needs to be checked. If that much cold water hit it, it was suddenly super-cooled from being super-heated, it could have easily cracked, or be distorted.

And pull the bowl and slide completely off/out of the carb, and shoot carb cleaner through everything. It dont take much pond slime to gum up a carb ;)

just want to say thanks for all the great input! however i have another question regarding the top end.....can the jug & head be removed without taking the motor off the bike or not? i found a machine shop here in springfield that will do the work for around $40 (o'reillys machine shop) and i think i'll go with a .40 over wiseco. will i need to do anything with the head after this? (valve adj., stock cam & springs ok?) once again this board has made my life a little easier....

Ive sunk my Raptor many many time's lol I love the watter ive flipped it upside down in watter had it in watter over the gas cap and have had no issues with it. Were many people mess up is when they sink it is by trying to crank it whille under watter as if thats gonna work most probaly do it from panic I think Just always remember as soon as it sinks up jump off it asap and try and get the front to float if it dies PUSH IT to the bank remove your spark plug flip it on the grab bar and turn it over 4-9 seconds get all the watter out most the time watter will not even get in your oil if you do this ive only had a small amount of watter in my oil once but the top end would be nice a full. And as others have said just change your oil out till you get it clean again!!! and yep you can remove the jug and head with out removal of the motor...And consider getting a 10:25 to 1 compression piston and grab you a good cam all of that would be no more than 250 and it is so worth it you will get a good power gain.....GOOD LUCK

the jug can be taken off with out taking the motor out all you need to do it remove the Front Fenders, Gas Tank, and carb it comes out.

Back