Twin cyl 500cc Warrior build

Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum

Help Support Yamaha Raptor 350 & Warrior Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motoarts, can you point me int the right direction on carbs? I have always wanted to switch over to a normal carb and drop all the cv stuff, is it that easy to do? I read that harley guys to the exact opposite and say the cv give them more power/throttle response.

Will need to know the year of the engine.
Looks like Factory and Dynojet still make 'em. Google EX500 or Ninja 500 jet kit. Very popular inexpensive roadracer bike, lots of tuning info available. I know that simply removing the stock filter and lid would make my Ninja 900's not even start, so the CV's are very sensitive but very efficient when dialed in.

Harley guys look for the Mikuni or S&S carbs mainly because they have too much money to throw at something they have no clue about. (ie. "Some Guy" said it would gimme 50hp and 30 more MPG...). When I worked at a Harley shop (early '90's before CV'S were on them stock), we literally sold CASES of spark plugs a month to the HD guys with their haphazard carb tuning skills. CV's were the best thing to be fit on a HD till fuel injection became an option.

http://www.dynojet.com/jetkits/motorcycle/kawasaki.aspx
http://www.google.com/search?q=fact..._gc.r_pw.&fp=9ded2e554654f49&biw=1024&bih=629

Last edited:
Oh, and be VERY careful with the slide/diaphragm. Handle it like a million dollar egg. It will make you say swear words if you tear one. Just sayin' :)

I found the kit on google, I thought I was looking for something different. if this will help with tuning then it will be bought. I have read tons of posts on ex500.com where guys give up and go back with a stock air box. that is not an option for me as the fuel tank will be where thw box was and it wouldnt fit anyway. I can't thank you enough for sharing this 'secret' as I no one ever said anything about them on the ex forum.

how you plan to rout the headers? Have to make custom?

sorry I missed this post, I cut up the pipes and it looks like I can get away with the stock headers, they will run down along each side of the motor and then Y together on the brake pedal side then along the out side of the lower sub frame almost straight up to the WB pipe. looks pretty straight forward, few mounting points and it should work. ill have to wait untill I get the shift linkage finished up to ensure the pipe will clear.

Heys guys, thought I would give everyone any update, I've been busy getting stuff done. Something about the time change makes me work more!

Worked the harness to fit the Warrior, had to put in a strap over the top of the motor for the coil packs and to route the run/off/start buttons and fan
2011-11-07211828.jpg

2011-11-07211844.jpg

This is my most recent attempt at the exhaust
2011-11-07211528.jpg

2011-11-07211619.jpg

2011-11-07211728.jpg

2011-11-07211742.jpg

Worked over the front plastics to look a little sleeker
2011-11-07212757.jpg

2011-11-07212816.jpg

2011-11-07212836.jpg

2011-11-07212858.jpg

Finished up with some changes to rear too
2011-11-08190019.jpg

2011-11-08190034.jpg

2011-11-08190101.jpg

2011-11-08190121.jpg

I started cutting out templates for the fuel tank today, I'm not 100% sure if the battery will stay where I have it due to such a small fuel tank. It may get pushed up near the rear mono and the tank make fill up the rest to the grab bar. I know this think is gonna drink the fuel and the last thing I want is constant trips back to the truck to refuel. I'll try to keep more posts coming as I go!

HAH! Lookin good. Cant wait to see some vids and get a sound clip. You still need to frame in the front?

Its hard to see but I put in a piece of strap behind the radiator, I dont think I'm going to put anything back in the front or the rad, just clean it up and soe rubber plugs. I will have to keep an eye on it for the first few rides to make sure nothing is bending but I dont have much choice, there is NO room up there for anything infront of the rad. I may do some more gussets. If you look in the top right of this pick and and see the strap, it is welded at the top, upper A arm and then again on the lower A arm on the frame. I think it will do the trick.
2011-11-07211528.jpg

Is the pipe in the rear up high enough to clear the axle in suspension travel? If you plan to get that rough with it. I can't either to see and hear it run!

glad to see this thing didnt get scrapped .... its looking good man

Thanks Bones, I've seen too many that do get to be too much for the builder and ends up in the trash, this on will NOT be the case. I dont care if it take me 5 years! I went back and looked at the time stamp on the first picture I took and it has been just over a year, primary reason is that I have moved twice and the wife has been laid off twice! Puts a damper on funds for toys. Plans are to have it up and riding for some snow in January!

Is the pipe in the rear up high enough to clear the axle in suspension travel? If you plan to get that rough with it. I can't either to see and hear it run!

With a ratchet strap around the carrier and grab bar TIGHT it still clears. I made it where it would flow as much as I could, less sharp corners=better flow.

I'm gonna have to go back and re-read the post about the DynaJet kits and figure out the CV carbs since the air box, or lack there of, and the exhaust has been changed. That and the fuel tank are going to be the next huddles. Thanks for following the build, and not hating on my first time welding welds. Thin stuff like the exhaust was rough with a short learning curve!

Exhaust pipes are a pain for all welders
Damn stuff is just so thin, I'm just spot welding everything, once the bike is done it will be all torn down, cleaned (possibly painted), everything welded solid and all the welds cleaned up. It's not going to be a show bike by any means but good craftmanship is a must, especialy at 9k rpm, have to be solid built!

Have you thought about seeing what it would cost to take the exhaust in and have it tig welded? Its cleaner weld and can control the heat better.

Have you thought about seeing what it would cost to take the exhaust in and have it tig welded? Its cleaner weld and can control the heat better.

I have not, when the time comes my father will be welding everything up for the final assembly. He has been welding since highschool and can use stick, mig, tig, braise (sp?), everything. He told me if I were to use his tools (the stuff I dont have yet like the mig) then he will have the final say if it is safe to ride, plus all the welding I need is free if I split the cost of gas and wire/sticks. I know it sounds kinda funny having 'my dad' do it but I trust him that everything will be in the highest quality and safe, plus he always makes the welds smooth and flawless and has a passion for building stuff - good father-son time as I dont get to see him much any more either.

Back